i3 vs i5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Guys

Firstly forgive me but i am complete newbie to this and Macs. I have just got a pretty good deal on a 27inch i3 Mac @950 sterling. I have recently realized that it is nearly a year out of date (store has great return policy no problems returning it) and now am torn between returning it and getting the i5 27inch. I am very confused and as the i5 is going to cost 1400 sterling it?s pushing the budget (and the wife to the limit). All I wanted to know was is there a massive difference. i Plan to use it for CS5 and just general streaming vids etc. Might try to play FSX if there is a programme for that in Mac. Generally movies, editing pics, internet, word stuff and general daily computer. I Plan to keep this till it falls apart so I don?t want to find myself 18months down the road not being able to run new software etc.

I do not understand the tech side of this, like bus speed etc and hyper threading etc. Just simple answer if someone could help,

anyway greeting from Wales in the UK to you all out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    So you are deciding between a mid 2010 iMac w/Core i3 (dual core) vs an early 2011 iMac w/Core i5 (quad core)?

Based on your needs, go with the mid-2010 iMac. Do the thing that fulfills your needs, not your wants. If you plan on 3D gaming a lot, or worried about being left behind, I think you're best bet would be to get a good deal on a low end 2010 Mac Pro.

There is a massive difference between the two iMac versions in potential. The 2011 iMac is quad core with 2 Thunderbolt ports. Those two things are, for most part, represent pretty serious usage. They enable multiple monitors, external RAID, and will let you run some serious applications like FCPX.

If all you're doing is daily home computer stuff, with the thought of using it until breaks may years down the road, the 2010 iMac is probably better. You'll have 500 sterling saved. That money could go towards an SSD two years down the road, or paying for a 2012 iMac in 2013.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I doubt you'll even be able to tell the difference between the two.

I'd keep the one you have and pocket the extra 400 pounds... maybe use it to soothe the wife's ruffled feathers with dinner out.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddyfrog View Post

All I wanted to know was is there a massive difference. i Plan to use it for CS5 and just general streaming vids etc. Might try to play FSX if there is a programme for that in Mac.

The i3 is a dual-core with hyper-threading so it behaves a bit like a 4-core machine.

The i5 is a quad-core with no hyper-threading so it also behaves like a 4-core machine.

Due to the architecture change and physical processors, the i5 is 30% faster. You won't notice this.

In terms of the GPU, the 512MB 5670 and the 512MB 6770 will perform around the same. You can play MS Flight Simulator under Bootcamp but you might be able to get an unofficial port like you do for Tom Clancy's Hawx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijesA-Atfw

Or there's X-Plane:

http://www.x-plane.com/

The only other big thing on the new iMac is dual Thunderbolt ports, which are very fast ports that will likely allow you to get USB 3 and support very fast file transfers.

However, for £450, I don't think it's worth it.