Apple filings reveal heated, wireless stylus concepts for iPad and iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

My few attempts to use a stylus on my iPad resulted in issues where my palm resting on the iPad, as I draw, "marks" the drawing area. This is also true with the palm aware apps.

A relatively simple solution to this would be to have iOS differentiate between "stylus" input and "finger" input. If it detects a stylus, then simply deactivate the touch capability. I can't imagine a situation where a user would want to use style and touch at the same time. But in that instance that is beyond my imagination, there's a solution for that as well. If you're holding a stylus normally, then your hand will be positioned in a certain way (for righties and lefties). If iOS detects a stylus, then ignore that area in which your hand will make contact with the iPad/iPhone surface, but accept touch inputs in other locations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

IBM invented this a long time ago Apple.

So? Apple didn't invent the smartphone or the portable digital music player, or the tablet either. What's your point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Make it pressure sensitive (which is possible with a capacitive screen), and have some form of system where only the pen is detected, then I'm sold. Throw in Photoshop Elements for iPad and I'm deffinitly sold! (a man can dream).

Yeah, what he said.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

How 'bout I just dust off my Palm Pilot (I still have it) and the stylus it came with from 10-15 years ago ?...............are we regressing here ????

As someone else said...................

"No thanks.

Next..."

I never understood this hatred towards the stylus. Is it purely because of Steve Job's comments? I've been using stylus-touch systems for a long time and they worked fine. Hell when I switched over to a stylus-less capacitive touch phone, it felt like that was regressing since writing a short note, or drawing a quick diagram with your fingers just doesn't work that well.

what are the downsides to including a stylus with the current generation of phones/tablets? a few extra grams of weight?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

How 'bout I just dust off my Palm Pilot (I still have it) and the stylus it came with from 10-15 years ago ?...............are we regressing here ????

As someone else said...................

"No thanks.

Next..."

I get the impression that this is a "smart" stylus?closer to Wacom technology than a "dumb" Palm stylus. Also, just as Apple didn't just recycle the Microsoft Windows tablet paradigm from 10-15 years ago, it's highly unlikely that Apple will simply recycle the Palm/stylus interface. I think Apple have proved over the last ten years that their engineers are much more creative/innovative than that. They don't just hack together old technology. Nor do they totally invent new technology. Perhaps the best way to put it is, they reinvent technology paradigms.

I liked Apple's "Ink" application that allowed me to write with my Wacom tablet. I found the handwriting recognition to be pretty decent?not great, just decent. But with a lot of potential for growth/evolution. I was very disappointed then, when Apple got rid of it.

It would be pretty cool if Apple is seriously considering bringing back handwriting recognition (with pressure sensitivity. Writing directly to a [iPad/iPhone] screen is much more intuitive than writing on an analogous surface (touchpad/Wacom tablet). And, for me at least, it would be much easier than typing on a software keyboard. As someone said at another time in another thread, the onscreen keyboard is tricky, because you can't feel your way around the keys, like you can a physical keyboard. When we write we're naturally looking at what we're writing, but experienced typists are generally used to not having to look at the keys. But that is not an option with an on-screen keyboard.

So, I'm all in favour of stylus input?of course, not as a replacement for the on-screen keyboard, but with the on-screen keyboard as an alternate input.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    ... and finally the Newton reintroduced. I guess that this is a way for SJ to save face for dumping it.

BTW, Futuristic, isn't this "RECYCLING" ???

• Reply 25 of 29
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Apple does need to provide support for a stylus in iOS, third party solutions will always be a kludge.

And this not about iPhones. Phones with a stylus are stupid, but an iPad which supported a stylus would be very desirable.

?It?s one of the barriers for school kids and college students to purchase an iPad where they want the ability to take notes by hand and draw in class,"

It is just not for school kids. It would make an iPad a lot more useful in business as well. I would love to be able to jot down notes in a meeting, or take a PDF doc and mark it up and make comments on it with a stylus.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Apple does need to provide support for a stylus in iOS, third party solutions will always be a kludge.

And this not about iPhones. Phones with a stylus are stupid, but an iPad which supported a stylus would be very desirable.

?It?s one of the barriers for school kids and college students to purchase an iPad where they want the ability to take notes by hand and draw in class,"

It is just not for school kids. It would make an iPad a lot more useful in business as well. I would love to be able to jot down notes in a meeting, or take a PDF doc and mark it up and make comments on it with a stylus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by debohun View Post

...But, clacking away on a keyboard in a room full of people trying to pay attention is obnoxious. No matter how you slice, whether sitting in a classroom, a meeting, a medical exam room, or a board room, there is no way to take notes more quickly, quietly and discretely than by handwriting. When Apple recognizes this and ports functionality that has been in its port folio for over twenty years now, technology that has mostly already been ported in the form of Mac OS X's unused InkWell, it will massively expand the market for iOS devices.

Totally agree with both comments.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    So, is there an app for that? An app to be able to use a stylus or your finger on an iPad touch screen?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    It sounds like the mighty mouse for styluses. It will have special "touch features" that work as short cuts for apple devices. Knowing apple, they wont release it until it is actually useful