Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

If you read my first post you would see 2 suggestions as a start and read the link I posted before and again below as I fully agree with him.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users

Unfortunately, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the drivel that you linked. Ironically, I would describe the author as 'lacking the imaginative and visionary capacity to perceive innovation' even if it bit them on the ass.
  • Reply 42 of 145
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Downloading the hugeness of Lion will be interesting. I'm on a very fast connection, luckily.
  • Reply 43 of 145
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

firstly, all windows is is eye candy.

Other features like filevault 2 now encrypts the whole HDD or SSD in some cases.

Hmm. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Lemme help you fix that. Windows has been offering hardware-based full disk encryption since Vista, so for six years now.

I can't believe I'm standing up for Windows, but facts are facts.
  • Reply 44 of 145
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Lion looks like a bad version of IOS in order to....

Blah blah blah.

Hey, I get it. Some people have a need to complain about everything, mostly because they're unhappy people. But come on now. Lion looks like a fantastic update. Perfect? Of course not. Nothing is perfect. But Lion looks pretty sweet, and we're getting it in July of 2011. By the time Windows comes out with their next release, Apple will probably be discussing Lion's moderate but meaningful successor (Snow Lion? Grin!).

I think Lion is going to be great. And for anyone with a desktop and a Magic Trackpad, it'll be especially great. I bought a Magic Trackpad last month in anticipation of Lion becoming more of a touch OS.

This is an update I am extremely excited about.
  • Reply 45 of 145
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

There's been so much written about it that you can easily find a number of articles that explain the features, at least those that we know about, and obviously, as always, the ones we don't yet know about will be dwarfed by those we don't yet know about.

So instead of trying to give answers here, in this limited venue, it would be better for you to look some of these articles up yourself, that is, if you're really serious, which seems to be questionable.

If you're so serious, then why don't you discuss, in some detail, one of those major features you seem to detest, instead of simply telling us how terrible they all are? Then maybe we can take you seriously.
  • Reply 46 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

Hmm. There seems to be an inconsistency there. Lemme help you fix that. Windows has been offering hardware-based full disk encryption since Vista, so for six years now.

I can't believe I'm standing up for Windows, but facts are facts.

I suppose and your right. But the facts are that windows 8 has brought next to nothing new. And windows does need that cause 1 in 14 emails is a virus... or something like that. Apple is bringing in many new features before their os becomes big and their bringing in security updates when their os doesn't need it. Thats something Windows can't say.

But its alright to defend the competition <3 U for no real reason either
  • Reply 47 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First off operating system (OS) updates are really about apps. That is the manufacture or supplier of the OS brings out new features in iOS that allows app developers to innovate and deliver new features. In this regard Lion is one of the biggest updates in ages.

Quote:

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business.

The way you are caring on in this thread has me questioning if you are old enough to gave a business! Lion does not turn your machine into an oversized iPhone. Saying so makes it look like you are trolling or worst can't grasp the value in what Apple is offering up.

Quote:

Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Wait for the debut. People on this forum that do know about Lion, developers mostly, can't really talk about it.

Or go to Apples web site and review the 250 new features they highlight. Then ask yourself how are these new features delivered. What you will find is that Apple did some really serums overhauling of Mac OS/X.

There is much to consider as being useful for a business. For example:

Improvements to AppleScript.

AutoSave

Automated improvements.

MultiTouch

Vast improvements to the Text system

Improvements to the Unix subsystem.

Quote:

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

Actually on this point I agree with you 100%. It isn't that moving to the web is bad, just that most if the world isn't ready for that.

The problem here is that you think of OS updates as user directed. While user facing parts of the system are being improved it really isn't what OS updates are all about. The OS is there to support developers so that they have something to deliver enhanced apps on. In a nut shell apps sell computers.
  • Reply 48 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Totally agree. Split-pane would be especially nice since dragging and dropping files currently requires two finder windows, which seems odd for accomplishing such a simple task.

I'll probably be an early Lion adopter. I haven't regretted upgrading since... uhm... OS 8.5? Or was it OS 7 to OS 8? Either way, that's a long time ago.

Agreed re the Finder and I started out using OS7. How about being able to attach popup notes to files / folders as contextual menus, could be useful.

Apparently in Lion the Library folder will be hidden presumably as a dot folder but not good as sometimes it is necessary to access it and edit or remove files. I don't want it so the the system decides where everything goes based upon which app I am using as in iOS .It is fine for an iPhone / iPad but not for Mac OS.
  • Reply 49 of 145
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Ah yes, another OS X release and another round of "it's just eye candy and no real improvements". Seriously? Then don't upgrade! Your Leopard or Snow Leopard install will not suddenly cease to work when Lion comes out. At some point, the whiners are just going to have to admit they have nothing better to do than whine.

Me? I'll take the autosave, "eye candy" iOS disappearing scroll bars, Mission Control, app resume, versioning, Time Machine snapshots, disk encryption, application sandboxing, and SMB with DFS (for the asinine comment that Lion offers nothing for "business users"). Those are just my personal new features of preference. Yours may be different.

We've heard it before. When SL was coming, no one though OpenCL or Grand Central Dispatch were significant features.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users

Run on sentences here.

What eye candy? Seriously they are making the GUI more understated if you ask ne. Beyond that it is rather stupid to imply they are chasing Windows, little to nothing looks like Windows.

Quote:

they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment

They have for those capable of seeing it. Lion will be a huge advantage to many professionals because of the new features. To sit here and imply that they have ignored usability makes you look very un informed.

Quote:

instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist.

Dumbing down? I really hope you aren't serious with that statement.

Quote:

Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

Unbelievable. Honestly I bet you would get lost on a ten minute hike in the woods. What do you expect to see?
  • Reply 51 of 145
    Any clues as to WHICH machines will have their RAM upgraded? I'm not worried personally as I'm running with a i7 & 8GB...but I am curious.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the increase in wireless bandwidth (3 x 150MB)...oh baby that will be nice!!! Assuming that all works out my next acquisition will be a new wireless router that can also do 450MB w/ 802.11n!

For those of you that have not yet seen it, there are two ways to create an image from the download of LION.

Here's how to burn to a disk;

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-t...ion-boot-disc/

Here's how to copy to SD;

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/08/how-t...om-an-sd-card/
  • Reply 52 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Ah yes, another OS X release and another round of "it's just eye candy and no real improvements". Seriously? Then don't upgrade! Your Leopard or Snow Leopard install will not suddenly cease to work when Lion comes out. At some point, the whiners are just going to have to admit they have nothing better to do than whine.

Me? I'll take the autosave, "eye candy" iOS disappearing scroll bars, Mission Control, app resume, versioning, Time Machine snapshots, disk encryption, application sandboxing, and SMB with DFS (for the asinine comment that Lion offers nothing for "business users"). Those are just my personal new features of preference. Yours may be different.

We've heard it before. When SL was coming, no one though OpenCL or Grand Central Dispatch were significant features.

Good

Sandboxing

Versioning

Auto Save

Resume

Bad or Irrelevant

Mission Control

Launchpad

Disappearing scrollbars

Full Screen Apps (Mostly)

Leopard came out 4 years ago and this is the best they can come up with in all this time. They are clearly dedicating more resources to iPad / iPhone rather than Mac OSX which is what concerns me.
  • Reply 53 of 145
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting osx lion.

I'm eagerly awaiting OS sex.
  • Reply 54 of 145
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

(Snow Lion? Grin!).

Mountain Lion?
  • Reply 55 of 145
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids.

I have a hard time believing that. Kids love Macs, its those clueless business/IT men who think the Mac is only a shiny toy that are refusing to give them a chance.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    I would love a new Macbook Air, but I could an iPad and a cheap Windows-notebook for the $999. Here's hoping 4 GB of RAM is standard.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

I think it was made clear before SL came out that it (SL) was the no-superficial-interface improvements upgrade. The version of OSX that would come after would catch up on the apps and interface. This is where we now are.

When SL came out some people complained that there was nothing on the surface that enabled you to see the improvements. It was all under-the-hood stuff. So Apple charged $29.00 for an upgrade that was worth 5 times that.

Now that Lion is coming out and catching up with the surface stuff (and leaving heavy duty changes till next time) people like you are complaining that here the changes are all just interface changes. And so Apple charges $29.00 again, for an upgrade that is worth more.

FGS this is $29.00. If you don't want to pay that much for interface upgrades then don't buy it. That simple. But coming here and ranting like this makes you indistinguishable from a troll even though you insist you aren't.
  • Reply 58 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insincere posts. He is clearly trolling.

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

edit: There website still says ships within 24 hours. It's not a guarantee, but I would expect any real constraint in supply to flow to their online store after several months of the same rumour.

Actually, Odyssues1923 is NOT trolling. He's expressing a pretty clear opinion about the next version of MacOS X. And frankly, I agree with him. No offense, the OS is intended to attract iOS customers to the Mac but not really offer anything to existing users of MacOS X.

It's actually pretty offensive that you suggest that anybody who disagrees with Apple's direction is trolling.
  • Reply 59 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Can you list what *signficant* apps are actually using Grand Central Dispatch, btw?
  • Reply 60 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I think it was made clear before SL came out that it (SL) was the no-superficial-interface improvements upgrade. The version of OSX that would come after would catch up on the apps and interface. This is where we now are.

When SL came out some people complained that there was nothing on the surface that enabled you to see the improvements. It was all under-the-hood stuff. So Apple charged $29.00 for an upgrade that was worth 5 times that.

Now that Lion is coming out and catching up with the surface stuff (and leaving heavy duty changes till next time) people like you are complaining that here the changes are all just interface changes. And so Apple charges $29.00 again, for an upgrade that is worth more.

FGS this is $29.00. If you don't want to pay that much for interface upgrades then don't buy it. That simple. But coming here and ranting like this makes you indistinguishable from a troll even though you insist you aren't.

Is Odysseus really complaining or just providing a counterpoint to those who claim that Lion is the next delivery of Mana from God? As I remember his original post, he was just saying that compared to other Mac OS updates (that frankly took shorter time to deliver), it is less compelling.