Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Such an awesome OS for only $29, and the best hardware of any manufacturer. Some people will complain about anything!
  • Reply 82 of 145
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Such an awesome OS for only $29, and the best hardware of any manufacturer. Some people will complain about anything!

Yeh but I wanted a pony
  • Reply 83 of 145
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
  • Reply 84 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I've been running Lion since GM came and I have yet to find any negative aspects.

So you've been using Lion since its release version that doesn't have any problems and you've yet to find any problems.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

You should have been around for Developer Preview 2 Update 1.

UN. USABLE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

waiting to get the update

Don't link to Imageshack and don't link pointless images.

And I was going to post a modified version of my About This Mac screen showing me running a 12GHz Skymont chip with 48GB of RAM, but it seems that Lion has changed the format of the About This Mac identifier file and I don't want to screw with it.

Guess I'll just post THIS then...

• Reply 85 of 145
    arnmanarnman Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you've been using Lion since its release version that doesn't have any problems and you've yet to find any problems.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

You should have been around for Developer Preview 2 Update 1.

UN. USABLE.

I still think mac os x lion Gold master version is still pretty darn buggy.... I'm kinda disappointed.

I feel there's going to be a few complaints ... i think apple is honestly rushing things too much

example: Final cut pro x

I hope the version on the app store fixes up the bugs on this GM.
  • Reply 86 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arnman View Post

I still think mac os x lion Gold master version is still pretty darn buggy.... I'm kinda disappointed.

Yeah, there are some problems yet.

Quote:

GM means GM. 10.7.1 would fix any problems in the GM.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arnman View Post

I feel there's going to be a few complaints ... i think apple is honestly rushing things too much

example: Final cut pro x

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, there are some problems yet.

GM means GM. 10.7.1 would fix any problems in the GM.

What sorts of bugs are you two finding in the GM, anyway? Anything you think would convince people not to upgrade just yet if they knew about it?
  • Reply 88 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

What sorts of bugs are you two finding in the GM, anyway? Anything you think would convince people not to upgrade just yet if they knew about it?

Only if you consider "lack of Rosetta" to be a bug. 'Course, then you're using software at LEAST half a decade old, so you don't really care at all about having the latest OS.

Zooming text has its problems now. Don't know why that broke in between releases.

They're not show-stoppers, at any rate.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Great. Looking forward to breaking my printer drivers. 10.6.8 already took care of the scanner.
  • Reply 90 of 145
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

Perhaps an example of what you're talking about might be that Apple have added the launchpad, but still don't have a command that removes an installed app and all of its components.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Blah blah blah.

Hey, I get it. Some people have a need to complain about everything, mostly because they're unhappy people. But come on now. Lion looks like a fantastic update. Perfect? Of course not. Nothing is perfect. But Lion looks pretty sweet, and we're getting it in July of 2011. By the time Windows comes out with their next release, Apple will probably be discussing Lion's moderate but meaningful successor (Snow Lion? Grin!).

I think Lion is going to be great. And for anyone with a desktop and a Magic Trackpad, it'll be especially great. I bought a Magic Trackpad last month in anticipation of Lion becoming more of a touch OS.

This is an update I am extremely excited about.

I agree. What I don't read here is the fact that most of Lion's greatness is not something you can see. While it's easy to take potshots at whatever graphical interface changes one may not like, the fact is that Lion is our first fully 64-bit Mac OS X and for example simply the 64-bit rewrite of iTunes is a massive performance improvement - according to the feedback from developers I've read.

So let's not judge this new book by its cover please. The new 64-bit foundation Lion brings to us is a much bigger deal than any of the eye candy Apple brags about to Jane Doe consumer. I for one don't care about any of the new launch and finder options. I'll continue to use the Recent menu as usual. What I do care about are the new underpinnings Apple engineers have built for the developer community, the shift to gesture centricity and ultimately a better user experience for all of us. There's a lot of very positive feedback from developers to indicate this is a great improvement to Mac OS X. Let's get on board and enjoy the ride next week or next month if you feel the need to wait.

Also, instead of complaining and asking about what third party apps will or won't work properly with Lion why don't you call or email each publisher's tech support and ask them? They know you know. Why expect any of us to know when you can get it directly from each developer's tech support?

BTW I'm installing Lion on an empty HD and then migrating stuff from my Snow Leopard Volume on my Mac Pros. I'm not going to destroy my Snow Leopard volumes for 10.7.0 and maybe never. But I will destroy my single Snow Leopard volume on my 2008 Black MacBook for a new Lion install because I use it for almost nothing except as my MagicJack terminal and for teaching Lion and iOS on a projector. Also plan to destroy Snow Leopard on my 2008 17" MBP cause it's also out of use. Then plan to sell everything to advance to all Thunderbolt Macs.
  • Reply 92 of 145
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Can you list what *signficant* apps are actually using Grand Central Dispatch, btw?

I think that spinning beachball app is pretty slick, for one.

I seem to spend a lot of time looking at it.
  • Reply 93 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Perhaps an example of what you're talking about might be that Apple have added the launchpad, but still don't have a command that removes an installed app and all of its components.

Sure they do. When you delete an application from the Applications folder, you get a pop-up telling you there are still files in the Application Support folder. It asks if you want to leave them or remove them, too.
  • Reply 94 of 145
    mex4ericmex4eric Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

I have reliable 3-4 Mb/s connections in Canada, Mexico and France and have no problems with a 4 GB download. 50 Mb/s would be nicer, but more expensive ...
  • Reply 95 of 145
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    But i want it now!!!!
  • Reply 96 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

But i want it now!!!!

You can't wait six days? Heaven's sake, it STILL has problems.
  • Reply 97 of 145
    jshezjshez Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

Mountain Lion?

Liger?
  • Reply 98 of 145
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jshez View Post

Liger?

Griffin.
  • Reply 99 of 145
    Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

1) As far as I know, nothing in Lion takes away, but only ADDS. Use Launchpad if you want, ignore it if you don't want to and it's invisible. What features exactly are detracting?

2) Come on - it's completely rethinking/improving window management, touch gestures, wireless file sharing, app launching/downloading, file saving, etc. Not to mention that the core productivity apps (Mail, Address Book, iCal) are getting improvements.

3) All that, and it works its iCloud magic out of the box. Mac + iPhone + iPad all synced up wirelessly and automatically for free. APIs for third-party apps too. That's never happened before, except for limited MobileMe things (e.g. contacts)
  • Reply 100 of 145
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

But i want it now!!!!