Apple now worth more than Wintel

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
http://macdailynews.com/2011/06/03/a...ntel-combined/

From the website:

Quote:

At market close today, Microsoft (MSFT) had a market value of $201.59 billion. The market value of Intel (INTC) stands at $115.21 billion.

Microsoft?s Windows combined with Intel forms the portmanteau ?Wintel,? which refers to personal computers that, when they?re working, can most charitably be described as upside-down and backwards Macs with weak immune systems.

So, add ?em both up and you find that the ?Wintel? is worth $316.8 billion. As you nmight imagine, we?ve been watching these values with anticipation for quite some time and today, for the first time (ever?), the closing value of Apple (AAPL) $317.60 billion exceeded that of Wintel. Just in time to make a nice slide for somebody?s WWDC keynote address (hint, hint).

Longtime Mac users, gaze at the headline, let it wash over you, and bathe in some of the purest Schadenfreude ever concocted.

This milestone reminds us of a quote uttered 13 lucky years ago:

What I can?t figure out is why he [Steve Jobs] is even trying [to be the CEO of Apple]? He knows he can?t win. ? Bill Gates, June 1998

Smirk

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    That is pretty insane stuff. The tech market has always been a spectacular one, with great growths as well as great falls. I just wish I can some day ride on one of those winning waves!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hcho3hcho3 Posts: 6member
    But, Apple is very different from MS.

Intel is very well run company as well. Intel will do fine for next few years, but they need to enter cellphone market by making chips for apple. Because these laptop sales will slow down and people will buy more smartphone and tablets. People are very likely buy a new phone every 2 years. Laptop? No. ..... try more like 4 years or even higher.

For Microsoft... Well. God help them. Steve Ballmer is an idiot and I don't know why he still has his job.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    And your word for today is,

Quote:

portmanteau

portmanteau |pôrtˈmantō|

noun ( pl. -teaus |-tōz| or -teaux |-tōz|)

a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.

? [as adj. ] consisting of or combining two or more separable aspects or qualities : a portmanteau movie composed of excerpts from his most famous films.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

That is pretty insane stuff. The tech market has always been a spectacular one, with great growths as well as great falls. I just wish I can some day ride on one of those winning waves!

You said it though... Great growths, with great falls too. I think I'll never have the stomach for the stock market.