upgrade advice

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello

I am relatively new to posting and have a few questions regarding upgrading to lion. I have two macbooks: The first is the first unibody macbook that eventually became a macbook pro. It has 4GB ram. The second is an older model white macbook, 2.1 with only 2 GB of ram.

I currently have snow leopard on both macbooks and was hoping to upgrade to Lion when launched.

1) Will Lion cause the macbooks to run significantly slower due to heavier use of the resources, (or with the 2GB macbook lack of resources)

2) Do you know if I am able to upgrade my white macbook 2.16 GHZ to 4GB? Apple said no, but is that just because of their specs or is it a reality?

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    3GB is the maximum RAM that your model will address.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    Not sure if you should put Lion on the older Macbook - but I upgraded a brand new 13" Thunderbolt MBP (Core i5) to Lion and can see a slight delay in start up. It wasn't a significant slow down but it's noticeable. This may occur in part to the increased use of resource that Lion often demands from the MBP and the fact that Lion tries to remember what windows you have opened when you shut down (if instructed to).

That being said, the slight delay isn't enough to deter me from recommending people to upgrade to Lion, given that they have more than the minimal required specifications. It does slow things down a little, but it does offer you a more customizable and convenient OSX. Whether it's worth the loss of a few seconds from start up is entirely your call. You can always uninstall Lion if you choose to.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alew View Post

Not sure if you should put Lion on the older Macbook - but I upgraded a brand new 13" Thunderbolt MBP (Core i5) to Lion and can see a slight delay in start up. It wasn't a significant slow down but it's noticeable. This may occur in part to the increased use of resource that Lion often demands from the MBP and the fact that Lion tries to remember what windows you have opened when you shut down (if instructed to).

That being said, the slight delay isn't enough to deter me from recommending people to upgrade to Lion, given that they have more than the minimal required specifications. It does slow things down a little, but it does offer you a more customizable and convenient OSX. Whether it's worth the loss of a few seconds from start up is entirely your call. You can always uninstall Lion if you choose to.

Because boot speed is the most important reason to upgrade to software that fundamentally changes the way you work with your computer.

• Reply 4 of 6
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because boot speed is the most important reason to upgrade to software that fundamentally changes the way you work with your computer.

Well, for some people they may be really uptight about start up times. I don't know but regardless, upgrade to Lion - and if you don't like it, uninstall it and demand a refund from Apple, like people did with FCPX.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have a 2007 imac core 2 duo 2.33 with 3 mgs ram. has anybody used lion on an older mac like this? i want to upgrade but am wondering if os lion will be slowing me down.

i am looking forward to faster safari but will not be happy with other system wide slow downs. boot up not important to me. any input would be appreciated. thx
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

i have a 2007 imac core 2 duo 2.33 with 3 mgs ram. has anybody used lion on an older mac like this? i want to upgrade but am wondering if os lion will be slowing me down.

i am looking forward to faster safari but will not be happy with other system wide slow downs. boot up not important to me. any input would be appreciated. thx

well I'm using Lion on the 2.66(c2du). 4 gb. Lion works well.

Give it a shot - install in a new partition. You wouldnt find any much delay with "browsing", infact doing stuff will be faster'Mission Ctrl.

If u plan for development - then wait a while.