Apple says Mac OS X Lion due soon, invites developers to submit apps

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday formally invited developers to begin submitting applications written for Mac OS X Lion its new Mac App Store, promising that a next-generation operating system will be released "soon."

"OS X Lion, the eighth major release of the world's most advanced operating system, will soon be available to millions of Mac users around the world," the Mac maker wrote in an email to developers. "Submit your Lion apps for review now so they can be on the Mac App Store when Lion ships this month."

The Cupertino-based company went on to recommend that developers build, test and compile their apps using the Mac OS X Lion Gold Master seed issued earlier this month and Xcode 4.1 for Lion GM seed, which was just released alongside iOS 5.0 beta 3 on Monday.

All indications are that Lion is on track for a release near the end of the week. People close to the matter told AppleInsider last Thursday that Apple is set to undertake preparations for Lion in its retail stores later this week, with a refreshed MacBook Air to follow soon after.

The $29.99 operating system upgrade will launch exclusively on the Mac App Store, marking the first time Apple has attempted an online delivery method for a major release of its flagship desktop OS. Last month, AppleInsider exclusively reported that the company has held back on new Mac models in order to image new machines with a finalized build of Lion.

Lion sports more than 250 new features, some of which are brought from the iPad and iOS back to the Mac. Notable additions include full-screen applications, auto-save functionality, an iOS-style homescreen, application launcher and new multi-touch gestures.

For more on Mac OS X Lion, see AppleInsider's in-depth Inside Mac OS X Lion series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This will be an exciting week. Lion is a major update and I believe once people grasp that sales will be massive. It is also good enough to entice people with older hardware to upgrade. I see some really strong numbers in Apples future.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Good job AppleInsider... Don't want anyone stealing that image from you.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    I reserve the right to be wrong, but if they are just asking for apps now I would doubt we will see Lion this week.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

I reserve the right to be wrong, but if they are just asking for apps now I would doubt we will see Lion this week.

I, too, reserve the right for you to be wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Yeah, an AppStore review by Apple would take a week or so in the past so I doubt it would be this week. 29.7.2011 is more likely. Or the Monday prior.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Sounds great. Now I just need a new Thunderbolt-equipt MBA with an i5 to go with it.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"OS X Lion, the eight major release of the world's?

][/url][/c]

Typo in your quote
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post

Typo in your quote

I always watch to see how quickly a blog corrects errors pointed out to it. The quick ones garner my respect because it means a) someone at the blog's watching the comments and b) someone there cares about precision. Two things not always in evidence...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Yeah, an AppStore review by Apple would take a week or so in the past so I doubt it would be this week. 29.7.2011 is more likely. Or the Monday prior.

The Mac App Store compared to the iOS App Store is considerably smaller. Also, the restrictions for what Apps can do are less strict, so even with a considerably smaller staff I don't see any reason why the Lion GM would be pushed back further unless the new Macs running Lion are not ready for their debut.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    I can't wait for Lion. I will no longer install any software unless it comes from the Mac App store. I want the ease of updates and the security I get with my iPad on my Mac. I know a lot of people disagree. For me, I just don't want to chase updates and broken programs anymore. I want it all to "just work." This includes printer software...ARE YOU LISTENING HP? I am not installing your crappy printer software anymore unless it comes through the Mac App store.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    jbrunijbruni Posts: 29member
    Quote:

What makes you think no apps written for earlier versions of OS X will run on Lion? That would be a huge change for Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbruni View Post

What makes you think no apps written for earlier versions of OS X will run on Lion? That would be a huge change for Apple.

Where exactly did I say that? I do not recall having said such a thing.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

There has been many rumors about Lion being released on the 14. I doubt that they're wrong.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I believe once people grasp that sales will be massive.

What if people don't grasp that sales will be massive?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

What if people don't grasp that sales will be massive?

They can't not.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Holderad View Post

I can't wait for Lion. I will no longer install any software unless it comes from the Mac App store. I want the ease of updates and the security I get with my iPad on my Mac. I know a lot of people disagree. For me, I just don't want to chase updates and broken programs anymore. I want it all to "just work." This includes printer software...ARE YOU LISTENING HP? I am not installing your crappy printer software anymore unless it comes through the Mac App store.

I like many apps from the MAS and I'd be more willing to purchase them if there were a way to demo or trial them first. I know, I know, it's only 99¢ or a dollar ninety-nine and all that, but if you add those up and they're all duds, I could have saved for something else that I have had a chance to experiment with first.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I like many apps from the MAS and I'd be more willing to purchase them if there were a way to demo or trial them first. I know, I know, it's only 99¢ or a dollar ninety-nine and all that, but if you add those up and they're all duds, I could have saved for something else that I have had a chance to experiment with first.

I'd much rather like the ability to transfer my older applications that I didn't purchase there (that are now there) to Mac App Store versions so that I can get the automatic updates without wasting money paying twice.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Good grief, people here seem to have too much time on their hands.

I've spend just five minutes reading the article, reading the comments, sending off a snarky reply or two, and at the bottom I see 21 people lingering around. What are you all doing?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd much rather like the ability to transfer my older applications that I didn't purchase there (that are now there) to Mac App Store versions so that I can get the automatic updates without wasting money paying twice.

Oh yes, I'm with you on that one. Pixelmator comes to mind...
  • Reply 20 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Unlike iOS app store, the Mac App Store apps should be available for download from the developers website if the developer choose to. There are few developers who choose to make their apps exclusive to the app store.