Apple says Mac OS X Lion due soon, invites developers to submit apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'm curious to see how many apps "ship" on Lion with Full Screen and Versions support and how fast MAS updates are (Delta)
  • Reply 22 of 34
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    I believe we will see it on Thursday 14th July as rumours suggest, hopefully alongside new MBA's at the very least.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Oh yes, I'm with you on that one. Pixelmator comes to mind...

Well Pixelmator made a pretty good deal with their free update to v2 so I wouldn't count them as bad. DVDRemaster had a 2 day period where their app was $5 and they send an email arround to everyone that previously owned it so that no one would miss it.

So there are some solutions to this problem. The feature I miss most is student rebate. Wouldn't it be great if I could just send Apple a student certificate every semester and automatically get the student price for every app (that supports it?)
  • Reply 24 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

I like many apps from the MAS and I'd be more willing to purchase them if there were a way to demo or trial them first. I know, I know, it's only 99¢ or a dollar ninety-nine and all that, but if you add those up and they're all duds, I could have saved for something else that I have had a chance to experiment with first.

Where are the .99 & 1.99 apps in the MAS?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Is anyone getting the issue in Snow Leopard of Invites from Outlook, etc. sent as ICS not going back to the Outlook systems properly using Apple iCal?

Annoying issue because some clients (and potential clients) of mine using Outlook/Windows are thinking I'm declining or not accepting their invitations, I have to manually email them and let them know.

According to Apple discussion forums, this has been happening recently since they changed the calendaring system (quite an overhaul really) a few months ago. Problem also occurs on iCal on iPad, which is a concern because with iCloud etc and people using iPad and Mac, it may not be interfacing with the Windows Outlook meeting system.

Is this fixed in iCal/ Mail in Lion? It's a weakness of iCal which I think Apple should tighten up, their Outlook/ Exchange Server improvements have been commendable, though I have no first-hand knowledge of that. Haven't used Windows for anything work-related for years, except to see how websites look in Internet Explorer.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

I reserve the right to be wrong, but if they are just asking for apps now I would doubt we will see Lion this week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I, too, reserve the right for you to be wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Yeah, an AppStore review by Apple would take a week or so in the past so I doubt it would be this week. 29.7.2011 is more likely. Or the Monday prior.

Hard to say at this moment. My guesstimate is that it's looking like the Tuesday 26th of July at the earliest, probably with new MacBook Airs.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Good grief, people here seem to have too much time on their hands.

I've spend just five minutes reading the article, reading the comments, sending off a snarky reply or two, and at the bottom I see 21 people lingering around. What are you all doing?

It's this:

• Reply 28 of 34
    Bring it on already!!!
  • Reply 29 of 34
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd much rather like the ability to transfer my older applications that I didn't purchase there (that are now there) to Mac App Store versions so that I can get the automatic updates without wasting money paying twice.

i really don't get what's so onerous about this - registered owners of an app ought to be able to submit their apple ids to the developer, who passes them on to apple, who authorise download of the MAS version of the app on that account

how is that not possible to do? it would certainly dramatically speed the move over to the MAS. it seems totally counterproductive not to permit this
  • Reply 30 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    FYI, a source with "close ties to Apple" suggests Lion will begin rolling out at 1am tonight, UK time.

http://speakapple.net/2011/07/app-st...ems-worldwide/
  • Reply 31 of 34
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have a 2007 imac core 2 duo 2.33 with 3 mgs ram. has anybody used lion on an older mac like this? i want to upgrade but am wondering if os lion will be slowing me down.

i am looking forward to faster safari but will not be happy with other system wide slow downs. any input would be appreciated. i dont care about boot up. imacs always on. thx
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FYI, a source with "close ties to Apple" suggests Lion will begin rolling out at 1am tonight, UK time.

http://speakapple.net/2011/07/app-st...ems-worldwide/

How did that work out for you?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

How did that work out for you?

Looking like the "source with close ties to Apple" wasn't as close as he/she thought. More like a third cousin on the mother's side.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I, too, reserve the right for you to be wrong.

Looks like I was right after all.