Apple issues routine updates to iLife '11 applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Monday issued a set of updates to its suite of iLife '11 applications, including iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, iWeb and iDVD.

iMovie 9.0.4

Apple's update to iMovie fixes a variety of problems, including opening projects imported from iMovie for iOS; an audio adjustment issue; a performance issue for video clips with keywords and a slow launch when working with large iPhoto libraries.

The 76.2MB download requires Mac OS X 10.6.7 and is recommended for all users of iMovie '11.

iPhoto 9.1.5

The iPhoto update is also recommended for all users and weighs 220.83MB. Mac OS X 10.6.7 is required.

Fixes include: corrections to the Adjust Time and Date command; resolution of a scrolling issue with Event Titles; fixing an issue with a Classic slideshow; deleting photos from a web album using the contextual menu no longer deletes them from the library and resolution of an issue with the Revert to Original command.

GarageBand 6.0.4

GarageBand 6.0.4 fixes an issue with lesson downloads from the GarageBand Lesson Store. It also corrects issues with tempo-based effects falling out of sync and resolves problems with Magic GarageBand project files.

The update is a 53.72MB download requiring Mac OS X 10.6.7 and is recommended for all users of GarageBand '11.

iWeb 3.0.4

Apple's decision to update iWeb to version 3.0.4 came as a surprise to some, as Apple indicated in a FAQ last month that iWeb publishing will get the ax when the MobileMe service is shuttered permanently on June 30, 2012.

IWeb has not received a major revision since Apple released iLife '09 in January 2009. That update added new iWeb Widgets, such as iSight video and photos, a countdown timer, YouTube video and RSS feeds and integrated FTP publishing. Apple quietly bundled the older versions of iWeb and iDVD into iLife '11 when it was released last October.

The release notes for iWeb 3.0.4 do not indicate any specific changes, noting only that the update "improves overall stability and addresses a number of minor issues." The 178.57MB download is recommended for all iWeb 3 users and requires Mac OS X 10.6.4 or later.

iDVD 7.1.2

Monday's update to iDVD improves reliability of imported iPhoto '11 slideshows. fixes a problem that could prevent files from re-linking and addresses an issue that could cause iDVD to use all available CPU capacity when searching for missing files.

iDVD 7.1.2 is recommended for all iDVD 7 users. The 36.12MB download requires Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Apple also offes iPhoto, GarageBand and iMovie individually in the Mac App Store, though it has chosen not to make iWeb and iDVD available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    What about iMovie Pro?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    What? Too soon?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What about iMovie Pro?

The donkey's dead, stop flogging it.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    when i tried it the iweb link was incorrect - sent me to garageband.

iweb update page
  • Reply 5 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) This might be the last update iWeb and iDVD ever get.

2) Sounds like they are shoring up their iLife apps for the impending Lion release. I still think this week is most likely.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What? Too soon?

lol... I got a good chuckle. thx
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The donkey's dead, stop flogging it.

What I find interesting is that FCP X is the top grossing app on the MAS!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Sounds like they are shoring up their iLife apps for the impending Lion release. I still think this week is most likely.

I was going to say the same thing. This update probably readying iLife for Lion.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    modemode Posts: 163member
    No love for iWork?

Some kind, any kind of security or player for Keynote please.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

No love for iWork?

Some kind, any kind of security or player for Keynote please.

I was hoping we'd see iWork '11 at long last sometime soon...
  • Reply 10 of 26
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

I was hoping we'd see iWork '11 at long last sometime soon...

I'm hoping for some Keynote love. Password protect the files to prevent changes - any kind of security at all would be greatly appreciated.

As someone who lives with Quark and Adobe software - there are times when Pages feels clumsy, (see creating master pages). Still, I recommend it to clients with Mac's over Word or other page layout programs.

It could use an update with some added features and a little love thou.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I'm hoping for some Keynote love. Password protect the files to prevent changes - any kind of security at all would be greatly appreciated.

As someone who lives with Quark and Adobe software - there are times when Pages feels clumsy, (see creating master pages). Still, I recommend it to clients with Mac's over Word or other page layout programs.

It could use an update with some added features and a little love thou.

Yeah, I use Office for Mac 2011 primarily, and I would happily switch to Keynote if it were updated - it just feels too outdated in comparison to Office 2011, particularly in regards to UI.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Keynote is beyond "over due" for an upgrade/overhaul.

iMovie via the App store is a 600 mb+ download. That's just plain silly. I understand Delta versions make their debut with Lion. Hopefully that's true.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It's $300 when almost everything else is $5 or under (or free!).
  • Reply 14 of 26
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

It's $300 when almost everything else is $5 or under (or free!).

A quick glance at the front page of the Mac app store shows most apps cost more than $5. Only chintzy little games and bad iOS ports are less than $5
  • Reply 15 of 26
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Where are you getting that from? I'm not disputing it, it's plausible given that it's apparently 12th highest selling, but just curious as to your source - I can't see any way to order by gross sales.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Where are you getting that from? I'm not disputing it, it's plausible given that it's apparently 12th highest selling, but just curious as to your source - I can't see any way to order by gross sales.

iTunes itself ranks apps by 'Top Grossing' in the right-hand sidebar of the Apps section.

Now, back on topic. Is anyone else annoyed like I am that this iPhoto update (9.1.5) has a grayscale Source Column just like iTunes? I seriously don't understand Apple's insistence on draining all the color out of the OS and it's apps without any preference for adding it back in. Yes, it's a minor issue, but it's one that's in my face every time I open iTunes and now iPhoto. Worse, it seems that Lion will only be draining more color.

Any insight why Apple is doing this? What's the reasoning? Have they forgotten that our eyes see color because it's beneficial? Where's the user preference??

OK, ending rant.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Is anyone else annoyed like I am that this iPhoto update (9.1.5) has a grayscale Source Column just like iTunes?

Surprised it wasn't mentioned, but not annoyed; I find I get used to these changes in no time at all.

I am however delighted that the scrolling bug has been fixed; that was something I didn't get used to and it drove me mad.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Surprised it wasn't mentioned, but not annoyed; I find I get used to these changes in no time at all.

I usually get used to the small interface changes in time as well, but for some reason that's not the case with this draining of color. It still bothers me so much in iTunes that I have it modded. Too bad the mod isn't going to be supported for Lion though.

Another thing I noticed is that the purple Smart Album icons are still visible in the full screen mode of iPhoto. Why offer color in one mode but not another? Where's the consistency?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Absolutely. My donkey was the argument itself, not the product at the centre of it. Sick to death of the 'iMovie Pro' joke. It was mildly amusing the first time, but it's been done. It doesn't even truly make sense as an insult. iMovie is a NLE, so an iMovie Pro would be... a pro NLE. I thought the whole argument was it wasn't 'pro'? If they're suggesting the 'pro' here is a Fischer Price suffix then they haven't given FCPX a chance. It's a very powerful program despite its current shortcomings.

Apple is a frustrating company that gives you answers in its own sweet time. Us photographers had to endure it over Aperture 3 but we didn't cause the media storm FCP users have. Bit of patience and judge after a few months, not a few days. It deserves criticism sure, but it's been blown out of all perspective. What is already known is enough to anger the top 1% of videographers, but the other 99% just jumped on the bandwagon. The way some go on you'd think wedding videographers had 20 staff and a broadcast truck outside every chapel.

What so often gets lost is that Apple deserve credit for opening such a powerful tool up to the amateur market. Young, talented people will be able to do extraordinary stuff with FCPX that their wallets just wouldn't have let them do in May. That's great for content consumers, great for the budding pros, bad for the complacent elitists (not labelling every complainer that, but they do exist) and a challenge for the true professionals. Such is life.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Sounds like they are shoring up their iLife apps for the impending Lion release.

Probably, but I must admit a little spring of hope emerged when I saw the update for iWeb.