Apple's new MacBook Airs to bring back backlit keyboards - sources

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Was a stupid move to remove it anyway. Yet a good portion of the people here on these boards backed the move

Now those same people will probably be praising the move to bring it back

I don't recall anyone 'backing it'. Some people rationalized it, mostly suggesting it was cost related, but thats hardly backing it.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But given that Apple just began accepting applications for Lion to the Mac App Store a few hours ago, that may suddenly seem ambitious.

What a strange thing to say, as though all of the applications we have today will suddenly break.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I don't recall anyone 'backing it'. Some people rationalized it, mostly suggesting it was cost related, but thats hardly backing it.

I don't know, anyone that "rationalizes" removing such a useful feature in a "premium" notebook is an enemy in my books
  • Reply 44 of 83
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, since nobody mentioned it, how about a retina display in the MacBook Air?

MacOS X and all of the apps do not have support for a retina display. And with Macs being able to display many resolutions, true resolution independence would be much preferred to a retina display.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I suppose a back-lit keyboard might be nice, if you could actually control it. The one on my 15" MBP will only come on when it wants to, and it never seems to think its quite as dark as my eyes do...
  • Reply 46 of 83
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you put an SSD in a recent 17" MBP, it's going to blow the MBA away.

That's equally true for the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro models.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvd404 View Post

I dont know what you are smoking Messiah, but it sure is messing with your head!

Try doing some research and you could be amazed. Personally, I have a 240GB OWC SSD installed in my 2.3GHz i7 17" MBP which utterly destroys my maxed out 2.13 GHz 13" MBA. The MBA is awesome for light work, but when I'm earning money, I need the computational power of the quad core i7, and the speed of the OWC SSD (which is significantly faster than the SSD of the MBA). Check out barefeats.com and macsales.com (and OWC ship internationally too as I live in Australia).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

agreed. I too have the 2 same machines as well as an i5 quad core 27" iMac.

The MBP with an SSD smokes them all. and not by a small margin either.

The OP makes the point that the MBA has great performance due to its SSD, even compared to a MBP with a standard HD , and you respond that no, a MBP with an SSD installed is faster. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 48 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You can do either. There are two modes for using two or more monitors:

1. Mirroring

2. Extended Desktop

Mirroring, as the name suggests, show exactly the same image on the two monitors at the same time - so whichever screen has the lowest resolution is the limiting factor. This mode tends to be useful for presentations and the like.

With the extended desktop mode, each monitor operates at its native resolution and shows different content - you designate a certain monitor to be your "main" monitor (with a laptop the main monitor can be the built-in monitor or the external one) and that shows the Menu Bar and Dock, and you can drag windows from one display to another.

That is we get a third option where the external monitor is used at its native resolution but where the GUI is drawn consistently.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, since nobody mentioned it, how about a retina display in the MacBook Air?

HiDPI, which is built into Lion, is exactly what I want from all new Macs.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

eh? I replaced my 15" MBP with an air as my main work machine and have never looked back (mostly science apps and office type stuff). Slowly handle the basics of the UI? eh?

Use an AIR for a week and then an tricked out MBP for a week, then go backmto the AIR one more time. You will find that the AIR can be a performance dog. Sure it opens doles quick but a MBP can do it even quicker with a high speed SSD. That isnt what we are talking about here though.

Quote:

You must have been looking at some beat up airs, the flash more than makes up for the slower processors in most office applications, in fact it batters my old MBP in these apps.

A common belief from those with low expectations or minimal demands on the system.

Quote:

Sure if you are in video or audio editing or computational modelling buy a MBP, or actually a desktop. which I have at home for that and can access over wifi etc.

That is another common mistake. All you need to do on an AIR to turn it into a dogg is tom try to do multiple things at a time. You know as is expected of a computer built upon UNIX. I'm not saying AIR isn't suitable for many users, just that it is a low end machine performance wise. In my case it is the size of the SSD that keeps me away currently, but I'd certainly would love to see a few performance issues addressed.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This is great news. It's hard to see many people choosing the 13" MBP over the 13" MBA now.

Of course there is still the issue of max RAM and disk size....
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Off topic: I've been in 2 more Apple Stores in different states and each has a full table of 4 or 5 white MacBooks right at the door when you walk in. I don't recall Apple ever putting their soon to be deprecated HW so prominently by the door nor do I see a good reason to do so unless you are trying to drop inventory, which usually comes with a price drop, which then means the product is popular, hence the placement near the door.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

MacOS X and all of the apps do not have support for a retina display. And with Macs being able to display many resolutions, true resolution independence would be much preferred to a retina display.

1) According to one of the WWDC 2011 sessions Lion has RI.

2) I think the term HiDPI is more accurate than Retina Display in this instance.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't know, anyone that "rationalizes" removing such a useful feature in a "premium" notebook is an enemy in my books

I turned the feature OFF on my MBP. It is very distracting and you don't need it to type.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If we don't get resolution independence it will be a sign that Apple has lost it. Even so higher resolution screens would be very welcomed. V
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If we don't get resolution independence it will be a sign that Apple has lost it. Even so higher resolution screens would be very welcomed. V

I already mentioned in another thread to you that WWDC 2011 Session 113 at 47m47s, if memory serves, goes into detail about Lion's full RI and HiDPI display support.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    kmjinxkmjinx Posts: 3member
    I squawked a number of times to Apple and everywhere else I could find to post about bringing back the backlit keyboard. Is an important feature for my needs, though do-able without of course. I am impressed with Apple more each day.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Based on this news, I'd say that Lion will be released on Friday, and the new Air's (plus either MacPro's, Mini's, or w/e) will be updated on Tuesday.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    kmjinxkmjinx Posts: 3member
    I squawked everywhere I could find, including Apple, about bringing back the lit keyboard. Is an important feature for my needs. Needed...no, but sure nice. Any laptop in this price range should have this feature. Thanks Apple. You impress me more each day.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    fresh1fresh1 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You can do either. There are two modes for using two or more monitors:

1. Mirroring

2. Extended Desktop

Mirroring, as the name suggests, show exactly the same image on the two monitors at the same time - so whichever screen has the lowest resolution is the limiting factor. This mode tends to be useful for presentations and the like.

With the extended desktop mode, each monitor operates at its native resolution and shows different content - you designate a certain monitor to be your "main" monitor (with a laptop the main monitor can be the built-in monitor or the external one) and that shows the Menu Bar and Dock, and you can drag windows from one display to another.

Actually there are 3 modes. The two you mentioned and a third, which is the best IMO. Connect your Macbook to your monitor and close it then use a mouse to wake it up (can be bluetooth or wired) and MacOSX shows up nativity on the screen just like a desktop. Not sure how Mr. H could forget this...

Edit: I'm new here and don't know how to quote the original post