HTC says Apple would rather sue than compete 'fairly in the market'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Responding to the latest legal challenge from Apple, people speaking for handset maker HTC on Tuesday said they are "disappointed" that Apple is suing its competitors "instead of competing fairly in the market."

The comments were made by HTC general counsel Grace Lei in a statement provided to Agence France Press. HTC responded to a new complaint filed last week, in which Apple asked the U.S. International Trade Commission once again to block to the import of hardware the company believes infringes on patents it owns.

"HTC is disappointed at Apple's constant attempts at litigations instead of competing fairly in the market," Lei reportedly said. "HTC strongly denies all infringement claims by Apple in the past and present and reiterates our determination and commitment to protect our intellectual property rights."

The report noted that patent lawsuits are common in the mobile industry, but mistakenly said that Apple and Nokia are currently suing each other for patent infringement. That dispute was resolved last month, when Apple agreed to pay Nokia for licenses and both companies agreed to withdraw their complaints from the ITC.

But Apple is still engaged in a legal fight with Samsung at the ITC, with a new filing made last week. Apple's latest complaint requested the commission block the import of Samsung devices, including its Galaxy S phone and Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet.

Apple's fight with HTC began in March of 2010 when the iPhone maker accused the Taiwanese company of infringing on 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. In an accompanying statement, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said he believes competition in the industry is "healthy," but that competitors like HTC should not "steal" Apple's technology.

HTC last year responded in kind, with a lawsuit that accuses Apple of infringing on five patents. As is standard practice, HTC asked the ITC to ban the import of Apple products into America, including the iPhone, iPad and iPod lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    These patent infringement that Apple is claiming is boring news...
  • Reply 2 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... That dispute was resolved last month, when Apple agreed to pay Nokia for licenses ...

Would rephrasing to something like, "when Apple and Nokia reached agreement on license fees", be more accurate. As I recall Apple didn't refuse to pay but disputed the amount.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    If you copy people's shit then be prepared to pay a license for it. That applies to all parties including Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to the latest legal challenge from Apple, people speaking for handset maker HTC on Tuesday said they are "disappointed" that Apple is suing its competitors "instead of competing fairly in the market."...

Translation:

"We think it's fair to copy all your stuff, but we don't think it's fair you disagree with this."
  • Reply 5 of 114
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If you copy people's shit then be prepared to pay a license for it. That applies to all parties including Apple.

Amen!
  • Reply 6 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Would rephrasing to something like, "when Apple and Nokia reached agreement on license fees", be more accurate. As I recall Apple didn't refuse to pay but disputed the amount.

Finally somebody that remember that was FRAND problem at start, not dispute about will Apple pay for licence but how much.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    HTC is such a horrid company, how can they put this on Apple? So let me guess, Apple is the non innovative antagonizer in this debacle? racist comment removed
  • Reply 8 of 114
    Apple has lost every bit of their integrity. They are going to find that their childish lawsuits are going to hurt them in the end when government rewrites patent laws loosening their scope rendering many of Apples patents void. Hell, Apple has done such a great job with their patents, the patent office will probably us them as the new standard.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Damn straight they're disappointed. Are they supposed to be happy about being sued?
  • Reply 10 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dragan0405 View Post

Finally somebody that remember that was FRAND problem at start, not dispute about will Apple pay for licence but how much.

Actually nokia not only wanted apple to pay more for their licensing fees than other handset manufacturers, but also was requiring apple to cross license their iPhone patents as well. The reason the decision was a win for apple is because they didn't have to cross license ANYTHING and paid the standard fee.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    This defense is as lame as the average luddite on OSNews with it's constant barrage of Patent articles and absolutely zero knowledge of the Patent Systems.
  • Reply 12 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeDurham View Post

I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, BidsBug.com

Damn spam bot..bet your from htc.
  • Reply 13 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Actually nokia not only wanted apple to pay more for their licensing fees than other handset manufacturers, but also was requiring apple to cross license their iPhone patents as well. The reason the decision was a win for apple is because they didn't have to cross license ANYTHING and paid the standard fee.

Yes and most people don't grasp this reality.

The press release headline from Nokia made it very clear that they came to Apple to stop the bleeding, not the other way around.
  • Reply 14 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j2-core View Post

Apple has lost every bit of their integrity. They are going to find that their childish lawsuits are going to hurt them in the end when government rewrites patent laws loosening their scope rendering many of Apples patents void. Hell, Apple has done such a great job with their patents, the patent office will probably us them as the new standard.

Crawl back to your hole.
  • Reply 15 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes and most people don't grasp this reality.

The press release headline from Nokia made it very clear that they came to Apple to stop the bleeding, not the other way around.

I think if you reread the settlement terms, Nokia did get some licensing from Apple, altho it's claimed nothing that's critical to iOS.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

HTC is such a horrid company, how can they put this on Apple? So let me guess, Apple is the non innovative antagonizer in this debacle? racist comment removed

There from Taiwan...jeez is it that hard to go to the company website or wiki?
  • Reply 17 of 114
    Par for the course, girlfriend. Deal with it.
  • Reply 18 of 114
    Apparently HTC feels that copying others' intellectual property constitutes "competing fairly". While knocking off someone's work may work in Asia, it doesn't play well on this side of the pond. I hope HTC dies.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

HTC is such a horrid company, how can they put this on Apple? So let me guess, Apple is the non innovative antagonizer in this debacle? The nerve of those horrible no skill south Koreans.

HTC is out of Taiwan, Don't blame Korea for this one.
  • Reply 20 of 114
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    The last few charts showing lawsuits going to and from Apple and competitors showed clearly that Apple is far more often the target rather than the initiator of suits.

Note to HTC: Do you really think Apple has made its way to the top by suing and not innovating? Why don't you review your history of 20th century technology. What was HTC doing back in 1984 when Apple rocked the world? Oh, that's right, you didn't even exist yet. And wouldn't for another 13 years while Apple continued to develop game-changing products and you built me-too laptops.

Typical lawyer-mouthpiece BS.