HTC says Apple would rather sue than compete 'fairly in the market'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    "HTC says Apple would rather sue than compete 'fairly in the market'"

Funny how some things never change. I seem to recall Franklin and Bell & Howell saying the same thing about Apple 30 years ago when they tried to sell their Apple ][ clones.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

And then the different things Evo has:

-custom home screens with widgets

-launch-from-lock-screen functionality

-unobtrusive notifications

have nothing to do with HTC and everything to do with android. also the 2nd is a security risk

Quote:

-3D autostereoscopic display

-dual rear cameras

really? cause we need 3d everything now including our pictures so we can show them off on our camera.

also interested in the viewing angle of this 3d feature. Link

Quote:

-built in microSD card

-replaceable battery

-built in USB/HDMI w/ full storage access

battery i never needed to replace, with a memory slot i never needed to use with connections we don't need

Quote:

-touch navigation buttons

buttons we never wanted in the first place

Quote:

Maybe Apple is just positioning themselves to "steal" one of the features in the second list. I'd welcome ANY of them, personally.

they can keep these so called features
  • Reply 63 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

-dual rear cameras? Why? What is the purpose of that?

It's for taking the 3D video.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

It's for taking the 3D video.

Ah, ok. Call me a Luddite, but I don't need that.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    HTC loves to pay licensing fee to MSFT for every sold Android.

Why are they paying MSFT but not Apple?

We are seeing something funny happened in the Android market. 2 weeks ago Apple got the Touch Interface patent. Since then Android makers have been desperate to sign up with Microsoft. They hope that MSFT patent portfolio will protect them from Apple.

MSFT is in this case a mafia organization. You pay them protection money and they will take care of the other.

Apple invents Iphone/Touch interface. Android clones it. MSFT gets licensing money for it.

I love how MSFT works. No invention, just protection racket.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:

Ah, ok. Call me a Luddite, but I don't need that.

No problem, I don't think they got that either, mentioning 3D and dual cameras is redundant.

Oh and I'll try not to judge.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . and first came the Sony Walkman, and then came the iPod. That's not evidence that Apple copied the Walkman is it?

Gatorgeek is getting even more bizarre with his analogies.

Put a picture of the original Sony Walkman next to the iPod.

Now, put a picture of the iPhone next to some of the phones that Apple says are copying them.

See the difference?
  • Reply 68 of 114
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijordan View Post

THEY'RE from Taiwan. If you're going to correct somebody, do it correctly. Smartass.

No - he said "...that to get there from Taiwan..."
  • Reply 69 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Gatorgeek is getting even more bizarre with his analogies.

Put a picture of the original Sony Walkman next to the iPod.

Now, put a picture of the iPhone next to some of the phones that Apple says are copying them.

See the difference?

Are you following me?
  • Reply 70 of 114
    Quote:

Here is my quick (incomplete) comparison of the iphone 4g vs HTC Evo 3D

Similarities:

- Is a phone (cell radio)

- GPS Radio

- rectangular, backlit touchscreen

- OS based on some flavor of -nix

- volume and power buttons (in different places)

- 3.5mm headphone jack

- front facing camera

- ambient light sensor

- proximity sensor? (not sure if iphone has this)

And then the different things Evo has:

-custom home screens with widgets

-3D autostereoscopic display

-launch-from-lock-screen functionality

-unobtrusive notifications

-dual rear cameras

-built in microSD card

-replaceable battery

-built in USB/HDMI w/ full storage access

-touch navigation buttons

Maybe Apple is just positioning themselves to "steal" one of the features in the second list. I'd welcome ANY of them, personally.

Yes. Original iPhone had proximity sensor.

unobtrusive notification: this will be fixed in iOS5. Android copied this idea from an app on Cyndia store. Apple hired the programmers to make a official iOS version.

3D = I would like to see a 3D version iPhone. I have a 3Ds + 3DTV+3D computer. In one year I have seen 4 films in 3D. It's a gimmick.

SD card is a gimmick. Space is no issue with the cloud. iCloud automatically pushes out all your photos, movies, books, mp3, radio shows, audiobooks, notes and so on.

Full storage access is a security hazard. I can use my iOS stuff as a memory stick, but I have no reason to be able to access /etc or /dev/null.

Why can't Android makers make a good screen like Iphone4? Resolution is important.

Why have replaceable battery? Make a good internal battery instead. iPhone has 50% better battery times then LG Evo3D. The widgets, bad multi treading and so on takes battery. Before you call bull: just google anandtech review. In the same review you will find that a single core A4 is almost as fast as a dual core tegra. Why? A4 has NOVA SIMD extensions. Apple control the graphical layer in the OS and can use SIMD to accelerate it. This leads to much faster and much less battery. Android does not control the graphical layer so they will never be able to have a phone as fast as an iOS or WinMo7.

Google also really needs to start take security more serious. Unix has been safe since 1960. First with Google that it is insecure. About 500000 Android devices has been infected with malware so far. Today it was a new alarm about malware Android.

You won't see this in App store.

Google android is good if you like gimmicks like 3D.

Later this year there will be gimmick quod cores Androids.

You really need to be a system integrator to use Android. First install a firewall to block all malware. Then turn off extra processes. Turn of Widgets and lock screen widgets.

If you don't, you have 3-6 hours battery time.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    Quote:

OK, I'll try again.

Quote from Apple spokesman: ?Apple and Nokia have agreed to drop all of our current lawsuits and enter into a license covering some of each other?s patents, but not the majority of the innovation that makes the iPhone unique,? Apple said. ?We are glad to put this behind us and get back to focusing on our respective businesses.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/te...okia.html?_r=1

By stating "not the majority of the innovation that makes the iPhone unique" it infers that at least some of the unique iPhone patents are now licensed to Nokia.

Yes. The interesting thing is that Apple got the Touch patent verified AFTER the Nokia deal.

Every single touch phone infringe on Apples touch patent.

The Apple/Nokia settlement was very smart by Apple. Apple pay a 3G fee.

By next year all iOS stuff will be 4G. Apple have those patents.
  • Reply 72 of 114
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

The Americans tend to mix up foreign countries. No wonder they don't even realize Apple is not always clean. Apple was made to pay Nokia and will be made to pay HTC, for copying foreign technology. When are Apple supporters going to realize that Apple has made very little innovation in telecommunications technology?

Interesting how you "conveniently" miss out key information to further your iHating propaganda cause.

Nokia did not force Apple to pay. Nokia was required to provide the same license fees to everyone. Apple was prepared to pay the same fee, and everyone would have been happy.

But no! What Nokia tried to do what "force" Apple to pay a higher licensing fee than everyone else (which Nokia can't do) and to also force Apple to grant Nokia the right to Apple's IP. When the lawsuit finally was about to work its way up the courtroom, Nokia wised up and did what it should have done from the beginning.

If you're going to twist the truth, at least do a better job.
  • Reply 73 of 114
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

That secondary list looks like a bunch of stuff I'd have zero interest in except for notifications.

-custom home screen and widgets? IMO I bought a phone, not a house. I don't care about customizing anything. I just want it to work. As for widgets, it eats battery life and consumes data. If I need to know the weather I can look outside.

-3D whatever? Not sure what that is. If it's basically 3D, that's ok. I find 3D to be a gimmick

-launch from lock screen? I use my phone for work so it must be password protected upon locking. I can't and do not want anything launching from the lock screen without my password being entered which would make this feature useless

-dual rear cameras? Why? What is the purpose of that?

-sd card? I have plenty of onboard storage, don't want to keep up with an sd card, and those slots can get gunk in them from daily use

-replaceable battery? I owned the original iPhone until this year with zero issues with the battery. Why would I need or want to keep up with an extra battery?

-USB/hdmi? For what purpose? AirPlay works for flicking media to my tv, a $15 camera connection kit works fine at photoshoots and the less I have to sync my phone the better (can't wait for ios5!)

-touch navigation buttons? Navigating what and where?

-Your phone is a computer (not a house), it can do computery things and stuff. Welcome to 201x's. I don't really use widgets for the reasons you expressed, but it is nice to know I could. When Apple does it first, it's revolutionary, when someone else does it first, it's unnecessary. Double standard effect.

-I think 3D is awesome. Yay! I'm sure there are at least a few other people who think it's fun too.

-I haven't tried, but I'm guessing there is a code-to-unlock feature on the evo 3d. I don't lose my phone, or give it to suspicious people, so I don't need that time-wasting code (that is easily hacked around anyway, if you want to get picky). Just cause you "don't need it", doesn't mean it isn't a nice feature.

- 3D

- I'll never swap out my card. But I could. Also, I will pay a lot less for it than an additional built-in 32GB. Again, you don't need it personally, but it's nice to have.

- USB to connect to other, faster, bigger storage devices. Oh wait, I can just cloud things up w/ my subpar 3G connection that is completely dropped in some cases. Luckily I'm a businessy businessman with perfect coverage that only needs the clouds. I also buy all apple things, so I have an AppleTV and I can zoom everything to it! (But I do have to plug into a charger while I do this, so yeah)

- Home, menu, back, search. Actually I don't really care if these are there are not. But like function keys on a keyboard, shortcuts can be nice.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Yes. Original iPhone had proximity sensor.

unobtrusive notification: this will be fixed in iOS5. Android copied this idea from an app on Cyndia store. Apple hired the programmers to make a official iOS version.

3D = I would like to see a 3D version iPhone. I have a 3Ds + 3DTV+3D computer. In one year I have seen 4 films in 3D. It's a gimmick.

SD card is a gimmick. Space is no issue with the cloud. iCloud automatically pushes out all your photos, movies, books, mp3, radio shows, audiobooks, notes and so on.

Full storage access is a security hazard. I can use my iOS stuff as a memory stick, but I have no reason to be able to access /etc or /dev/null.

Why can't Android makers make a good screen like Iphone4? Resolution is important.

Why have replaceable battery? Make a good internal battery instead. iPhone has 50% better battery times then LG Evo3D. The widgets, bad multi treading and so on takes battery. Before you call bull: just google anandtech review. In the same review you will find that a single core A4 is almost as fast as a dual core tegra. Why? A4 has NOVA SIMD extensions. Apple control the graphical layer in the OS and can use SIMD to accelerate it. This leads to much faster and much less battery. Android does not control the graphical layer so they will never be able to have a phone as fast as an iOS or WinMo7.

Google also really needs to start take security more serious. Unix has been safe since 1960. First with Google that it is insecure. About 500000 Android devices has been infected with malware so far. Today it was a new alarm about malware Android.

You won't see this in App store.

Google android is good if you like gimmicks like 3D.

Later this year there will be gimmick quod cores Androids.

You really need to be a system integrator to use Android. First install a firewall to block all malware. Then turn off extra processes. Turn of Widgets and lock screen widgets.

If you don't, you have 3-6 hours battery time.

- removable and accessible storage is a security hazard for morons. That's right, morons. For the rest of us, it's freaking great. Why can't anyone admit that Apple does this in order to make more money upgrading to higher capacity devices?

- This battery argument is stale. Built in batteries are a consumer fleecing. It just secures another revenue stream for Apple. The ONLY argument I will buy is that a built in battery is more aesthetically pleasing (less seams in the case). iOS battery life is better because (duh), the OS is more efficient. Since most of your UI elements and animations are static, they are heavily reusable and less tragic on resources. ALso, limited amount of background processing means less power use. iOS is awesome for battery life, but I'd still take a replaceable one.

- Like most other computer security issues, if you know what you are doing (and don't install a bunch of BS crapperware) then you're pretty much safe.

I'm sure my posts throw up arms, cause most of your folks are just tunnel visioned like that. I actually love my iPad, sometimes wish I had an iPhone (although honestly, I am pretty happy with my Evo 3D) and am fond of Apple products in general. Just not so much of the fanatical fans. (Don't like Fandroids either)
  • Reply 75 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Interesting how you "conveniently" miss out key information to further your iHating propaganda cause.

Nokia did not force Apple to pay. Nokia was required to provide the same license fees to everyone. Apple was prepared to pay the same fee, and everyone would have been happy.

But no! What Nokia tried to do what "force" Apple to pay a higher licensing fee than everyone else (which Nokia can't do) and to also force Apple to grant Nokia the right to Apple's IP. When the lawsuit finally was about to work its way up the courtroom, Nokia wised up and did what it should have done from the beginning.

If you're going to twist the truth, at least do a better job.

According to the best available information I can find, everything points to Apple rolling over on this one. Sources say Apple will be paying Nokia a bit over $600M to cover licensing fees on every iPhone sold to date, plus ongoing license fees currently estimated at $130M+ per quarter, based on each iPhone sold going forward. In addition Nokia received licensing rights from Apple on some number of patents. If all this is true, and there's no sources disputing the claims, I'm honestly surprised. It doesn't look like Apple put up much of a fight in this particular case.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/nokia-...TL+(ZDNet+Betw
  • Reply 76 of 114
    Quote:

-Your phone is a computer (not a house), it can do computery things and stuff. Welcome to 201x's. I don't really use widgets for the reasons you expressed, but it is nice to know I could. When Apple does it first, it's revolutionary, when someone else does it first, it's unnecessary. Double standard effect.

-I think 3D is awesome. Yay! I'm sure there are at least a few other people who think it's fun too.

-I haven't tried, but I'm guessing there is a code-to-unlock feature on the evo 3d. I don't lose my phone, or give it to suspicious people, so I don't need that time-wasting code (that is easily hacked around anyway, if you want to get picky). Just cause you "don't need it", doesn't mean it isn't a nice feature.

- 3D

- I'll never swap out my card. But I could. Also, I will pay a lot less for it than an additional built-in 32GB. Again, you don't need it personally, but it's nice to have.

- USB to connect to other, faster, bigger storage devices. Oh wait, I can just cloud things up w/ my subpar 3G connection that is completely dropped in some cases. Luckily I'm a businessy businessman with perfect coverage that only needs the clouds. I also buy all apple things, so I have an AppleTV and I can zoom everything to it! (But I do have to plug into a charger while I do this, so yeah)

- Home, menu, back, search. Actually I don't really care if these are there are not. But like function keys on a keyboard, shortcuts can be nice.

So basically all the stuff you listed is stuff you don't use at all but glad it's there? Again, that list is filled with stuff that few are truly interested in or need.
  • Reply 77 of 114
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    HTC and Samsung, if you want a fair competition and no lawsuits, do not steal other people's technology. If you want to compete with Apple don't copy, be original and innovative, and stop whining.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 79 of 114
    Quote:

According to the best available information I can find, everything points to Apple rolling over on this one. Sources say Apple will be paying Nokia a bit over $600M to cover licensing fees on every iPhone sold to date, plus ongoing license fees currently estimated at $130M+ per quarter, based on each iPhone sold going forward. In addition Nokia received licensing rights from Apple on some number of patents. If all this is true, and there's no sources disputing the claims, I'm honestly surprised. It doesn't look like Apple put up much of a fight in this particular case.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/nokia-...TL+(ZDNet+Betw

Those numbers sound impressive until you realize that that the $600M covers every single iphone Apple had sold up to that point which most likely brings the cost per device down to the standard price Apple was wanting to pay originally.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Quote:

Those numbers sound impressive until you realize that that the $600M covers every single iphone Apple had sold up to that point which most likely brings the cost per device down to the standard price Apple was wanting to pay originally.

Estimated at close to $12 for every iPhone sold. But with the high margins that Apple aims for, it's not likely a terribly significant cost.