Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

Now, 75 is too much, but 324, last time I checked, is a lot more than 75

/sarcasm

Outstanding!
  • Reply 42 of 113
    apophisapophis Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

So... as Apple moves to sell software exclusively online, Microsoft is moving to open brick and mortar retail stores?

Yes, I know that Microsoft sells mice, keyboards, and game consoles. So they do have some hardware. But is that enough to base a store on?

I was thinking the same thing! Microsoft's biggest product is software, which is increasingly being sold online through 'app stores'. Now they do make a keen keyboard and mouse - maybe they'll set these up in little kiosks so customers can drive Outlook with the latest accessories!

I'm betting their best hope is to drive Windows Phone 7 sales by having the employees every hour, on the hour, come out in their colored shirts and do a little 'Safety Dance' routine to mimic the Win Phone 7's colored tile interface?
  • Reply 43 of 113
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Where is MSFT gonna put these stores? Really?

Apple selects upperscale malls and higher-end retail areas because they know who their customers are.

MSFT's demographics are vastly different and I bet they don't have a clue who they will be trying to attract.

I suppose a MSFT store will be coming to a stripmall near you.

Right between the nail and tanning salons.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtkane View Post

Now, 75 is too much, but 324, last time I checked, is a lot more than 75

/sarcasm

Great replies here. but I like this one the best. The Google eyed Balmer is great too!
  • Reply 45 of 113
    With all major retail outlets selling computers with Windows, Microsoft seems pathetic to think stores are going to improve its image.
  • Reply 46 of 113
    This is an extremely puzzling move. Microsoft products run on other manufacturers hardware, apart from Xbox I suppose, so what do they hope to sell in these retail stores - other manufacturers hardware loaded up with Microsoft products? Why is that any different from what happens in hundreds and thousands of computer retail outlets around the world now?

And has nobody told balmy Balmer that Apple is now moving to selling it's software online through it's App store, and that is a much more cost effective way to distribute software than through a physical store, not only for Apple, but for software developers and customers?

Why is Microsoft so far behind the times? They are rapidly becoming a sad joke and a reflection of everything that is bad about the American economy these days. On the other hand Apple is showing the way in leadership, innovation, quality, profitability and business acumen.

All you guys have to do now is to convince Apple to manufacture it's amazing range of products in America rather than exporting all those manufacturing jobs to Asia - but why should I care if you Americans prefer to buy cheap products manufactured overseas rather than have secure jobs!
  • Reply 47 of 113
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Seems like a total waste of money for Microsoft.

But it will help the economy by spreading that M$ money around for rentals, contractors, employees, etc.

No, they will not get any return on investment as expected, but who cares?
  • Reply 48 of 113
    Microsoft announced today that it is shutting down all retail stores in an effort to boost share price.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    ajmac25ajmac25 Posts: 18member
    Zzzzzz
  • Reply 50 of 113
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Where is MSFT gonna put these stores? Really?

Apple selects upperscale malls and higher-end retail areas because they know who their customers are.

MSFT's demographics are vastly different and I bet they don't have a clue who they will be trying to attract.

I suppose a MSFT store will be coming to a stripmall near you.

Right between the nail and tanning salons.

These stores will be opposite the Apple Store whenever MS can manage it, they're not really stores - they're 'brand building' exercises. They're not selling to the demographic MS has, they're marketing to the demographic MS wants.
  • Reply 51 of 113
    I'm just curious, but did the posted graphic come from Microsoft? It shows the Lone Tree Colorado location in Wyoming. I know that all the boxy states in the middle of the country look similar, but that's a pretty big error for a store that Yelp claims was the 3rd Microsoft store to open.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Yeesh.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

A good move. Microsoft is making the best products they ever have right now and I think the only thing that's holding them back is exposure.

If they can get people into the store and using Windows Phone 7 there's no reason why it can't start gaining the marketshare it deserves. Maybe it will also be easier when the new Xbox 360 UI is released that is similar to Windows Phone 7.

That was funny. I almost thought you were serious.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

All you guys have to do now is to convince Apple to manufacture it's amazing range of products in America rather than exporting all those manufacturing jobs to Asia - but why should I care if you Americans prefer to buy cheap products manufactured overseas rather than have secure jobs!

I have been saying this for a long time. You are absolutely right!
  • Reply 55 of 113
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning that OS X is "still behind" Windows 7 just because Apple's hard ware can run both operating systems. That doesn't make any sense.

Of course it doesn't make sense .... it's from Microsoft, the company that decided many years ago that, if you wanted to QUIT your computer .... you hit the START button ..... how brilliant is that???
  • Reply 56 of 113
    We will accelerate our stores! Uh, how do you accelerate a store?
  • Reply 57 of 113
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Apple is a global company now, why should it prefer American to Chinese jobs? Especially when China is an increasingly important market for them.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Apple is a global company now, why should it prefer American to Chinese jobs? Especially when China is an increasingly important market for them.

I am Australian so I couldn't care less if America wants to have a 9.2% unemployment rate, and if I can buy nearly twice as many US$ with an AU$ as I could a few years ago, and if Apple products are now much cheaper here.

But I can assure you if I was an American I would want to see the full benefits of Steve Jobs genius being reflected in a lower unemployment rate and a better trade balance with Asia. But I guess you guys are so committed to the 'cheaper is better' philosophy that drives companies like Microsoft, that more manufacturing jobs in America is not an issue! Just don't complain if the USA has to default on its US$14 trillion debt - at least you will be able to buy cheap Apple products made overseas if you manage to keep your jobs!
  • Reply 59 of 113
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

We will accelerate our stores! Uh, how do you accelerate a store?

By building faster horses.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

These stores will be opposite the Apple Store whenever MS can manage it, they're not really stores - they're 'brand building' exercises. They're not selling to the demographic MS has, they're marketing to the demographic MS wants.

The OS they sell is largely transparent because it runs on someone else's hardware.

They can try and build a brand, but I think it's a waste of time.