Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You forgot to mention that every application automatically saves all content (and VERSIONS of all content) so that you never have to lose data EVER AGAIN and can restart your workflow right where you left off.

I love that Time Machine works on my MBP even when I have no connection to my actual Time Machine drive using Snapshots. It's a much easier and user friendly option than Windows rollback feature.
  • Reply 142 of 145
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    What's really groundbreakingn about lion, isn't any of it's new features. It's the FIRST OS release since 10.0 that ACTUALLY AIMS TO FIX THE MANY GRIPS that people have with the OS. It's finally fixed nearly 3,000+ under the hood stuff, including redesigning the entire FINDER.app, the metadata system that controls who you view files and folders, simple 30+ ways to view your files in the finder, the ability to do simple things like "date added" in the finder add to the under the hood fixes. The long standing fixes of locked screensaver bug being put into an actual sandboxed system so I can't get everyone's 10.6 root password who has a screensaver is just a +.

Apple pushed all under the hood forward, so that the future for OS X will remain bright. Things like setting up iChat with a plugin system, switching webkit to use mozilla plugin architecture, allowing plugins in the finder, tons of little things like this to allow the system to grow and be customized. Not to mention everything in the finder is PUSHED through grand central dispatch. Something like this will come along in another 8 years in a modern windows system.

You entire computing experience is being optimized to actually use all those chip cores and GPU power you've been given.

It's worth the upgrade, apple putting partition for reinstall in place, building you a system that doesn't require you to have a disc if you crash, a system that has VERSION CONTROL built into the file system, one that remembers what you were doing? This is the way of the future? Apple is building for the future, now is the time to make yourself familiar with what will surely be the path going forward.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

• Reply 143 of 145
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Also people in other countries don't use discs, they use a fucking USB key? You can go to an apple store or someone with broadband or mail your friends a fucking copy of the OS on a $5 USB key, nobody will suffer, for IT departments it's a HUGE boost, because you can do much better now what is called "slipstreaming" on windows where you build a custom version of OS X to install on the IT department computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

What's really groundbreakingn about lion, isn't any of it's new features. It's the FIRST OS release since 10.0 that ACTUALLY AIMS TO FIX THE MANY GRIPS that people have with the OS. It's finally fixed nearly 3,000+ under the hood stuff, including redesigning the entire FINDER.app, the metadata system that controls who you view files and folders, simple 30+ ways to view your files in the finder, the ability to do simple things like "date added" in the finder add to the under the hood fixes. The long standing fixes of locked screensaver bug being put into an actual sandboxed system so I can't get everyone's 10.6 root password who has a screensaver is just a +.

Apple pushed all under the hood forward, so that the future for OS X will remain bright. Things like setting up iChat with a plugin system, switching webkit to use mozilla plugin architecture, allowing plugins in the finder, tons of little things like this to allow the system to grow and be customized. Not to mention everything in the finder is PUSHED through grand central dispatch. Something like this will come along in another 8 years in a modern windows system.

You entire computing experience is being optimized to actually use all those chip cores and GPU power you've been given.

It's worth the upgrade, apple putting partition for reinstall in place, building you a system that doesn't require you to have a disc if you crash, a system that has VERSION CONTROL built into the file system, one that remembers what you were doing? This is the way of the future? Apple is building for the future, now is the time to make yourself familiar with what will surely be the path going forward.

• Reply 144 of 145
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Great post. Would it be okay if I repost this elsewhere? I tried to PM you about this, but that seems not to be working.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    Quote:

It's worth the upgrade, apple putting partition for reinstall in place, building you a system that doesn't require you to have a disc if you crash, a system that has VERSION CONTROL built into the file system, one that remembers what you were doing… This is the way of the future… Apple is building for the future, now is the time to make yourself familiar with what will surely be the path going forward.

But is it snappier?

I recall SL supposedly being the release that would fix all of the problems of Leopard and was designed with nothing else in mind but core improvements as well...

Maybe if Apple had focused more on what it fixes instead of 'hey look you can use a pinch motion now' type demos I'd be more interested.

In any event I won't be upgrading. My iMac might technically be supported, but just barely and it's slow enough now that I don't need to bog it down even more with an eye-candy heavy update. And I won't be getting a new iMac as long as Apple doesn't offer a matte screen.

I guess I'll just have to be content with reading all the posts on here as to how super awesome it is.