Retail job postings may hint at mid-August iPhone 5 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

If the job starts mid August, allowing for training, you'd have to assume the big event is in early September, running for a couple of months until the initial rush dies down. I predict iPhone 5 with iOS 5 and iPod touch 5th gen released globally on Sept. 6th.

The article states that training takes place 9 - 12 August with the job starting on 16 August. Can't see they would employ extra staff to just stand around for 3 weeks.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The article states that training takes place 9 - 12 August with the job starting on 16 August. Can't see they would employ extra staff to just stand around for 3 weeks.

And what would you think about 3 weeks of on the job training to prepare them? Apple is not the type to rush people through a short 4 day training and then just throw them into the fire of their global product launch. AppleCare agents get several weeks of classroom training and shadowing other support agents before they are turned loose taking calls on their own.

I know a store sales job is less demanding from a knowledge point of view than tech support, but still, Apple wants them to be prepared so that they can represent the company very well.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

And what would you think about 3 weeks of on the job training to prepare them? Apple is not the type to rush people through a short 4 day training and then just throw them into the fire of their global product launch. AppleCare agents get several weeks of classroom training and shadowing other support agents before they are turned loose taking calls on their own.

I know a store sales job is less demanding from a knowledge point of view than tech support, but still, Apple wants them to be prepared so that they can represent the company very well.

Exactly. Prep training is one thing (Fill out your documents, watch a harassment training video, learn about the products, learn about how to work with customers, learn the Apple way of business and customer service.) But then they have to put that into practice, and I know Apple makes new employees shadow existing employees for a time period.

3 weeks? Not so sure about that. But maybe. I was kinda anticipating a Media event on Wednesday Sept 7th, but I suppose it could be in August....

Historically, haven't July and August been the quietest months for Apple? (Save maybe 1 late-late August iPod event?)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think 4 days intensive training + 3 weeks shop floor training for a 2 month temp job is seriously over the top. It's states in the ad that candidates must have previous experience selling mobile phones or an in depth knowledge of the iPhone to be considered for the job. Doesn't make sense to me but it is Apple I guess so anything is possible.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

There is no delay.

Right, of course there is no delay. Apple sets whatever schedule they want. However it is pretty clear that Apple is taking more time than usual to release the next generation iPhone, and there must be a reason, right? And I find that interesting, like a good mystery.

Some possible explanations, most of which I have read on AI:

1. Apple wanted to reschedule and resequence product releases so that the iPhone release is later in the year;

2. iOS5 w/ iCloud needed significantly more time in development than iOS4;

3. One of the components wasn't ready (like 4G chip's power problems which Apple has alluded to previously) but will be included;

4. Something in the world phone that needed more time to develop (seems unlikely);

5. Apple needed extra time to develop, negotiate and finalize a SIM-less phone;

6. Apple wants to release multiple iPhones concurrently, and the Mini (or some other model) wasn't ready on the same schedule as the 4S;

7. The iPhone 5 is a RADICAL redesign (like between the 3GS and the 4), and that simply takes more time than 12 months (rumors of a thinner phone may support this);

8. The iPhone 4 has been so amazingly successful there is no reason to release something new - Apple is milking it.

9. Other.

Of those options I like option #3, waiting for a low-power 4G chip. I believe Apple should deliver a 4G phone as soon as possible, within the parameters they have set (low power draw). A year from August (?) seems kind of late to get into that game, and an earlier release (before August 2012) would likely mean releasing a replacement device (not just a variant) on a short cycle. So I think the time is ripe for 4G, if they can pull it off. And yes, I have heard explanations for why 4G isn't that important at present.

All speculation of course - we will see. You have my prediction.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Excited about iPhone5. But I just got my iPhone. I'm torn between saving up or buying the upgrade.