First photo of purported iPad 3 part could hint at material design changes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Photos showing what is claimed to be an internal component for a new, third-generation iPad have surfaced online, fueling speculation that an updated and redesigned model could launch this year.

The photos claiming to show an iPad 3 part come from Apple.pro, a site that has been a source of accurate hardware leaks in the past. Thursday's latest leak shows a component with a code number of "821."

The component also has different part numbers: "1180" for the iPad 2, increased to "1259" on the new component. That led the author to speculate (via an online translation) that the so-called "iPad 3" is a different model with a "brand-new design."

He specifically called out recent rumors that Apple plans to release a new touchscreen tablet this fall that will be a minor update to the iPad 2, dubbed an "iPad 2 Plus." Those reports suggested the new device would offer some enhancements over the current model, like a higher-resolution screen, and serve to expand the product line rather than replace the iPad 2.

The new component includes an outward-facing plug, which is colored white, leading the author to state that the new model will also be offered in black and white colors, like the iPad 2.

He also revealed that Apple has launched an internal investigation into hardware leaks made to sites like Apple.pro, making it difficult for his "Deep Throat" insider in California to leak more information.

Last year, the same site leaked photos of a 3cm-by-3cm touchscreen that were later confirmed to be of the multi-touch display for the unreleased sixth-generation iPod nano. Also in 2010, the site obtained pre-release photos of white and black front panels for the iPhone 4.

However, the site has also posted a handful of MacBook related rumors which did not pan out, such as a report that Apple was working on a 15-inch MacBook Air and an photos of an alleged 13-inch MacBook casing.

The site also posted an alleged seventh-generation iPod nano photo in April, suggesting the small touchscreen device could receive a rear-facing camera. But in that report the author cautioned he was unable to verify the authenticity of the image.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Maybe they're just adding a seond dock connector for landscape usage?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Doesn't make much sense cluttering up the design when the aspect ratio is 4:3 anyway - that would be more necessary for 16:10 android tablets.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Maybe it's the only difference, and you can buy an iPad with the (one) dock connector in the location of your choosing. I don't really expect this either, but it's all I can come up with. It wouldn't make sense even from an inventory point of view. But then, maybe one iteration is worth it to see which is more popular... as if Apple goes by popular demand...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Are we even sure it's the dock connector?

It *looks* like the dock connector, but unfortunately neither AppleInsider nor the original site thought to actually name the part or even hint at what it could be.

I suppose we are all supposed to be so geeky that we just recognise the internals of our devices when they are shown on a web site?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It *looks* like the dock connector, but unfortunately neither AppleInsider nor the original site thought to actually name the part or even hint at what it could be.

I was thinking the same thing. What the heck is it supposed to be. If this site is so in the know then they should be saying what the part is. The plug looks like it could maybe be a dock connector but it also looks like it could be an internal connector of some kind. and that white dot actually looks like a moisture sensor.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Really.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Maybe its the elusive HD?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    Looks like a part off my blender. Right next to where the rum goes.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Is anybody here surprised that Apple is working on iPad 3?

Really.

I would be.

I kinda figured the iPad 3 is done and they are working on the iPad 4.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Who's Liv? It's her birthday, btw?!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I was thinking the same thing. What the heck is it supposed to be. If this site is so in the know then they should be saying what the part is. The plug looks like it could maybe be a dock connector but it also looks like it could be an internal connector of some kind. and that white dot actually looks like a moisture sensor.

Well they do say that the white plug is external, and it seems plausible - if you follow the babel-fish link there's a picture that indicates the supposed analogous part in the existing iPad-2.

This could be part of the iPad-3, or it could be part of a re-engineered iPad2 that is designed for easier assembly. We know that Apple and Foxconn are putting considerable efforts into simplifying construction in order to increase supply and margins.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Who's Liv? It's her birthday, btw?!

I think it's a scam for some geek to get lucky...

"Look Liv, my birthday wish to you is all over the Internet!"
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I'm going to guess SD card slot ...

T
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post

I'm going to guess SD card slot ...

T

Looks to be way too many pins for an SD. I hope future iPad put SD at least in it - PIA carrying the dongle

Way too many pins for some special Thunderbolt too maybe its a new doc connector - doc2? faster and more powerful than current doc connector
  • Reply 15 of 19
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I suppose we are all supposed to be so geeky that we just recognise the internals of our devices when they are shown on a web site?

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/5071/2
  • Reply 16 of 19
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Who knows if the translation is even correct, it originates in Taiwanese, so we may not fully get their description of why this could be an iPad 3 part. But certainly looks like a white dock connector on the end, and a different design up from there. These types of part leaks have a HIGH percentage of accuracy in the past, so I'd pay attention here.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

Doesn't make sense because there is no more external keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Doesn't make sense because there is no more external keyboard.

You can use any bluetooth keyboard you want actually.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member

Thanks.

This seems to be pretty much the same shape and size as the old one though, so I'm still not sure why everyone is assuming it's for a side-mounted dock connector.