Report reaffirms Apple will launch new MacBook Airs next week

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report Thursday corroborates that Apple is expected to launch new MacBook Airs next week, featuring backlit keyboards and minimum 128GB solid-state hard drives.

Updated: The report from All Things D corroborates numerous details that have been published elsewhere online over the last several days. It cites "several" anonymous sources as having indicated the notebooks will go on sale late next week.

"So look for an announcement Thursday or Friday, with the new hardware spec'ing out pretty much the way rumors in AppleInsider have described: New Sandy Bridge processors from Intel, support for Apple's new high-speed Thunderbolt port, backlit keyboards and a winnowing down of configuration options to 128GB and 256GB of flash," the revised report said.

It was AppleInsider that was first and only to report last week that Apple's new MacBook Airs would have a backlit keyboard, replacing an omission from the 2010 model, and also that the hardware would debut sometime during the week of July 21. That's next Thursday, when the latest report reaffirmed the new ultraportable notebooks could arrive.

In addition, it was first reported here on Thursday that the new notebooks could do away with the entry-level 64GB solid-state flash hard drive and offer 128GB as the lowest capacity. Those details were provided in a communication with Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who also indicated the devices are expected come with 4GB of RAM as the standard.

In addition to the more recent rumors in the past week, reports have indicated for months that the new MacBook Air models will feature Intel's latest generation Sandy Bridge processors, which first hit the market earlier this year. The new notebooks will also sport the high-speed Thunderbolt port that already appeared in Apple's MacBook Pro and iMac lineups earlier this year.

For more, see AppleInsider's previous extensive coverage:

Apple's new MacBook Airs to bring back backlit keyboards - sources

Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Apple may freeze new Mac introductions until release of Mac OS X Lion

Apple poised to build nearly 400K next-gen MacBook Airs this month

Apple to begin production of Thunderbolt MacBook Airs next month

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    I thought these things were supposed to launch today? In fact, there have been reports every week for a while now it seems like that have said these things are imminent. What I keep hearing is, "Hold off, don't but it yet, it's coming out soon, we promise!" And then when they finally do get released, all of these same reporters and analysts will cry, "This is a worthless upgrade, don't ever consider buying one of these things!"
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Every day, I'm still loving my late 2010 13" MBA. I'm going to skip 2011. The thunderbolt port is really the only thing that grabs my attention. I'll look forward to see what 2012 brings. I'd love a quad-core i7 MBA one day!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Must. Resist. [reaching for wallet]
  • Reply 4 of 36
    m3digim3digi Posts: 5member
    Wasn't this the same news last week? These rumors are getting pretty ridiculous, and I'm starting to think that these stories are nothing more than attempts to drive traffic to this site, and be competitive with other Apple enthusiast sites.

There has to be more to talk about besides unsubstantiated, third-hand information, from fourth parties.

Seriously.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Please list all the times AI has published rumors that were wrong and indicate which of them were published first on AI.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    kimbakimba Posts: 1member
    Let your scoops speak for themselves. Lines like "It was AppleInsider that was first and only to report..." diminish your authority and make you appear insecure.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    If that had been a PC i bought in 2009 it would be as old as dirt.

Cant wait to sup my imac up with Lion and more Ramm in a few days

• Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimba View Post

Let your scoops speak for themselves. Lines like "It was AppleInsider that was first and only to report..." diminish your authority and make you appear insecure.

• Reply 9 of 36
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I thought these things were supposed to launch today? In fact, there have been reports every week for a while now it seems like that have said these things are imminent. What I keep hearing is, "Hold off, don't but it yet, it's coming out soon, we promise!" And then when they finally do get released, all of these same reporters and analysts will cry, "This is a worthless upgrade, don't ever consider buying one of these things!"

This is how sites like AppleInsider, MacRumors and ThinkSecret work these days. Since all of the people who were leaking genuine info got found out and/or fired, all they have to go on are their own guesses.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Like TUAW or 9to5mac just reported a weak source that said July 26th for Lion. Wouldn't it be interesting if they released Airs before Lion?!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

This is how sites like AppleInsider, MacRumors and ThinkSecret work these days. Since all of the people who were leaking genuine info got found out and/or fired, all they have to go on are their own guesses.

AppleInsider hasn't pegged down a date, unlike a lot of other Tech Sites. After all, half the fun of being an Apple fan is the rumor mill.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

In fact, when I play facebook games, opening 4 browsers at once, the iMac becomes so sluggish that I had to close two of the browsers to get it to work the way I need it to. No such problem with my HP. Please don't bash PCs unless you actually own one. Here's at you for your comment.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can see dropping the 64GB and 2GB RAM, but I have a hard time seeing 512GB and 8GB RAM. I think having processor speed and capacity be the only two choices within two options would be very Apple-like.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    These reports are really starting to frustrate me.

Let's face it - we know we're getting these things around the same time as Lion which is coming before August, and that's all we know.

In 2 weeks when we have them, we'll forget all about this slow and annoying process of rumor sites guessing away (more in reference to 9to5 Mac which basically suggested Lion would come yesterday as being a fact).
  • Reply 15 of 36
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see dropping the 64GB and 2GB RAM, but I have a hard time seeing 512GB and 8GB RAM. I think having processor speed and capacity be the only two choices within two options would be very Apple-like.

Yeah, I can see Apple doing something like 4GB standard RAM, 128GB and slower i5 in the low end 11", 256GB with faster i5 in the higher end 11", the same specs in the low-end 13" (like they do with the 15"and 17" pros), and a 256GB and i7 in the high-end 13". That seems very in line with most of the other Apple stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

In fact, when I play facebook games, opening 4 browsers at once, the iMac becomes so sluggish that I had to close two of the browsers to get it to work the way I need it to. No such problem with my HP. Please don't bash PCs unless you actually own one. Here's at you for your comment.

Are those facebook games made with flash?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Are those facebook games made with flash?

Best comment yet.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I'm pretty sure a PC from 2009 would be the same age as an iMac from 2009. And don't forget, Apple is still selling the Mac Mini using C2D chips.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I'm pretty sure a PC from 2009 would be the same age as an iMac from 2009. And don't forget, Apple is still selling the Mac Mini using C2D chips.

I discur (that's a word, right?? )—PC years and Mac years are different. An iMac born in 2009 is two years old now. A PC born in 2009 is, like, 12 years old. <joke>

My MacBook is about three years old now, and it's just as pretty as the day I got it.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

I don't own a PC, but I spend a lot of time trouble-shooting my friends' PCs. That's all the PC experience I care for. I've never once had a Mac friend come to me and say, "Hey, can you help me? I can't get this to work!!"

Of course, everyone's computing experience is different. If your PC experience is more worthwhile and productive than your Mac experience, then good for you!