Massive Android activations not viewed as concern for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

There were a number of reports that "activations" were instances of a manufacturer putting Android on a device and not consumers registering the phone. Google denied that it included upgrades though.

So does that mean it's all devices being flashed at the factory, not devices being directly sold to customers, if it's the manufacturer putting Android on the device?
  • Reply 22 of 167
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If anything I think Android users should thank Apple for creating a new road and settling the primitive market that for so long was occupied by the indigenous feature phone.

You know that will never happen. In general, fandroids have extreme anti-Apple sentiments.
  • Reply 23 of 167
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Source?

Google denied OS upgrades were accounted as activations when Jobs said it on a keynote and you have more about activations here:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/andy-rubin-...devices-a-day/
  • Reply 24 of 167
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikster View Post

I doubt the number of activations is much bigger than 1 - unless they're stupid enough to count used android sales, which are pretty significant at least where I live. In that sense Apple should maybe counter with "activations" for iPhones - I know 2nd hand 3GS, and 2G are hot sellers around these parts...

Nevertheless, I can believe these numbers on one factoid alone: Android phones cost as little as half as much as an iPhone. I can get a $300 Android device here; the iPhone costs $660 and up.

Price isn't that big a factor in subsidy-countries like the USA and much of western Europe. But it's a HUGE deal here in SE Asia.

I also know that anyone who can afford it has an iPhone. Android phones are for those who can't afford an iPhone, and for a handful of people who want to be "different".

Half a million a day is quite the handful. You must have big hands

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikster View Post

In summary - iOS is doing just fine. In fact, considering how many competitors are making Android phones, Apple is currently wiping the floor with the competition. Android remains the "iPhone alternative" by default.

Totally agree - just like Windows remains the alternative to Mac OS. Yup.
  • Reply 25 of 167
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    When i pay attention to what people use for their cell phones, I see more Andriod devices than i do iPhones. All these numbers do not mean anything. People lie all the time. I like the iPhone. There are 3 in my family, but we seem to be a rare bunch.... Everyone else we know has Androids or BB's.
  • Reply 26 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

These numbers are deceiving. They are new phone activations which to me could mean that the massive number of phones being activated could be replacements for poorly built phones. I and many of my friends who have iPhones have had the same device for over two years now. I'm constantly seeing my other friends who have the latest flavor of 'droid' going back to the store or calling their insurance for a replacement device. Each of these replacements are then activated and feed this number of 'new phone activations.' People in this situation are not in a position to switch phones all together because that would mean more money out of their pockets.

I have had 3 iPhones in total and 2 Androids. All have worked very reliably (although 3 of 5 are used for tinkering now and not as a phone at all). I have friends who are loyal iPhone users and those who are loyal Android users. Neither camp has seen more failures than the other. I also don't see widespread reports of poor quality from Samsung or HTC, etc.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

People lie all the time.

Ain't that the truth!
  • Reply 28 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You know that will never happen. In general, fandroids have extreme anti-Apple sentiments.

Android user = fandroid?

And you talk about anti-something sentiments?
  • Reply 29 of 167
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

So does that mean it's all devices being flashed at the factory, not devices being directly sold to customers, if it's the manufacturer putting Android on the device?

Yes. But it was just rumours, there wasn't any evidence.
  • Reply 30 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Yes. But it was just rumours, there wasn't any evidence.

So, no, it doesn't mean so, no?
  • Reply 31 of 167
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

As much as I hate to admit this, under the current roll-out strategy the iphone in the long run is going to be marginalized and end up with a static (i.e. replacement level) and then eventually greatly reduced market share.

Go to any cell store in the USA and you're slammed with tons of visually impressive Android devices. I have had bad success lately convincing people to go with iphone (which I still don't understand but that Droid marketing is very very successful on Verizon). The android selection is so large, prices initially cheaper, that the single iphone just looks pathetic next too all these crappy functioning but visually impressive devices.

Hope I am wrong. But I don't believe the iphone is going to stay at it's current level given the onslaught of devices it faces.

That's true for people who go to the mobile shops and aren't sure what they actually want or need. iPhone's are sold by word of mouth, not sales pitches or shelf display zazz. Most of the people I know who have recently switched to the iPhone, have done so because they saw someone (a friend) using one.

I believe the iPhone's share will rise significantly after iOS 5 is released this fall as it will offer all the significant benefits of both Androind and BlackBerry and even improve upon them.
  • Reply 32 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The mobile pie is actually big enough for 3-5 successful and highly profitable platforms.

Exactly. Also, the analysts act like Apple's end goal is to vastly dominate the market when they have no proof of this and a decent amount of proof against it.

So long as Apple's numbers aren't dropping, and they aren't, Apple's going to care what is going on outside. That they might go from 40% of the market to only 25% just lessens their need to worry about complaints of anti-trust behavior and such.
  • Reply 33 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Android needs to figure out how to get on top or risk a mass exodus from vendors to the safer and more profitable options.

Android IS surging to the "on top" in smartphone share aren't they? Just 20 months ago they held a 2% share, and now at 38% and still growing. You really think they should have grown share faster than that?

So which OS should those manufacturer's adopt instead Solipcism? Surely you don't think it would be a great business decision for each and every OEM to design their own OS.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the analysts act like Apple's end goal is to vastly dominate the market when they have no proof of this and a decent amount of proof against it.

The "analyst" here is Gene Munster, nuff said.
  • Reply 35 of 167
    mrmj2umrmj2u Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I have had 3 iPhones in total and 2 Androids. All have worked very reliably (although 3 of 5 are used for tinkering now and not as a phone at all). I have friends who are loyal iPhone users and those who are loyal Android users. Neither camp has seen more failures than the other. I also don't see widespread reports of poor quality from Samsung or HTC, etc.

Well maybe you were fortunate. I'm constantly seeing/hearing reports of broken/failed headphone jacks, broken keyboards, broken charging ports, etc... The major players in the Android market all made their name in feature phones (aka "made to fail") there is nothing different.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Android user = fandroid?

I bet i'm talking to one now.
  • Reply 37 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

Well maybe you were fortunate. I'm constantly seeing/hearing reports of broken/failed headphone jacks, broken keyboards, broken charging ports, etc... The major players in the Android market all made their name in feature phones (aka "made to fail") there is nothing different.

Does this report include Apple Service calls?

P.S. And I don't doubt for a moment that iPhone quality os a lot better than a lot of OEM's
  • Reply 38 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I bet i'm talking to one now.

And the reason you think I'm a fandroid is....
  • Reply 39 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Android IS surging to the "on top" in smartphone share aren't they? Just 20 months ago they held a 2% share, and now at 38% and still growing. You really think they should have grown share faster than that?

Yes, a lot faster considering the number of vendors, devices and range in price points. I consider Android to be a failure because it's free and can barely manage 1/3 of the market after a couple years. The iPhone isn't far behind and it's a single vendor. You add in all iOS-based devices and Apple may actually be ahead. That shouldn't happen if Android was well marketed and designed. Something it failing miserably in their camp.

For lack of a better example: If you say your Bugatti Veyron can go from 0-60mph in 4 seconds and has a top speed of 150mph I'd say something is very wrong with your vehicle as it's designed to be much faster. It has no barring on whether my Kia is faster or slower in any way than your Veyron because it's based on expectations of your device.

Android is a freely distributed OS used by dozens of vendors across dozens of new devices each quarter and at dozens of price points throughout the world. If it's a quality OS that vendors and devs can get behind, and consumers enjoy using then it should have a much higher marketshare? but it doesn't. Something is failing in the Android camp.
  • Reply 40 of 167
    mrmj2umrmj2u Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Does this report include Apple Service calls?

P.S. And I don't doubt for a moment that iPhone quality os a lot better than a lot of OEM's

Yes, it does. The iPhone accounts for 8% while Android Devices account for 14%.