Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Images discovered on Apple's own servers show a new Thunderbolt-equipped LED Cinema Display, suggesting the new hardware is set for an imminent launch.

The images were identified via their URL as part number "MC914" by MacRumors. That part number was previously and incorrectly claimed to be both a Mac Pro and a white MacBook, but the pictures uploaded by Apple appear to confirm otherwise.

In the pictures, the display sports a galaxy wallpaper that is found in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's forthcoming operating system upgrade set to go on sale this month. The pictures also show the display paired with a number of Apple devices, including a MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Mac mini.

In one of the images, two Cinema Displays are connected to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt. Such a configuration is only available with the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt that were released by Apple earlier this year.

None of the pictures show the back of the device, so it's unknown what kind of ports or options might be included, but one image discovered by AppleInsider shows the side of the display.

The images show a Cinema Display that maintains the same look and form factor as the existing units sold by Apple, which pack a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 178-degree viewing angle. That 27-inch display went on sale last September for a $999 price tag.

AppleInsider first revealed Apple's plans for a new Thunderbolt-equipped LED Cinema Display last month. With the new displays appearing to have an imminent launch, they could appear alongside Apple's soon-to-be-released updated MacBook Airs as well.

The new thin-and-light MacBook Airs are also expected to include the high-speed Thunderbolt port, which can send picture to a display and also transfer data over its 10Gbps connector. The new MacBook Airs will also sport Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors and backlit keyboards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Be a hell of an earnings report if they gave it the same day they dropped Lion and several new products all at once, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Nice to see only two cables for a docking solution. Outside of using an optical LightPeak in the center of the MagSafe, per a patent, this is as good as it gets.

2) I expect audio ports, USB (FaceTime camera), and FireWire 800 on the back of the ACD, but what about Ethernet or other ports?
  • Reply 3 of 73
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Nice to see only two cables for a docking solution. Outside of using an optical LightPeak in the center of the MagSafe, per a patent, this is as good as it gets.

2) I expect audio ports, USB (FaceTime camera), and FireWire 800 on the back of the ACD, but what about Ethernet or other ports?

It will have the full complement of modern connectors -- RS232, Centronics, SCSI, S!00, ADB, Omninet, Nestar, Tocken Ring,AppleTalk...
  • Reply 4 of 73
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Be a hell of an earnings report if they gave it the same day they dropped Lion and several new products all at once, wouldn't it?

And also announce the date for the iPhone/iPod/iPad event
  • Reply 6 of 73
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple: this is a health and productivity issue. Please, include matte displays, at least as an option.

You can sign the matte petition at:

MacMatte (matte petition)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com
  • Reply 7 of 73
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Two ports may be as good as it gets but it can't be satisfactory in JobsLand. I use the three connector solution with my Apple monitor and not a day goes by that I don't think how lame and clunky this is. There are docking solutions out there, and have been for years, that are much simpler. I imagine it riles at least one person at Apple to have more than one conector.

I can't imagine ethernet ports will go for a long time. If you are going to have a docking solution the monitor is the one thing that will stay put and its essentially a hub with a screen.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Not really since the report is about what they did last quarter. When they drop anything this quarter would change the numbers

Quote:

but what about Ethernet or other ports?

Why would a display need Ethernet?
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

In one of the images, two Cinema Displays are connected to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt. Such a configuration is only available with the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt that were released by Apple earlier this year.

Since the "Thunderbolt port" is the same physical port as the Mini Displayport on previous generation Macs, and Displayport (version 1.2 and newer) supports multiple daisy-chained monitors even without Thunderbolt, I'm not sure that these photos show that Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are required or indeed that these are "Thunderbolt-equipped" monitors. Though we can probably assume they support Thunderbolt

Seems to me as long as both monitors support DP1.2 and have DP/Thunderbolt "out" ports on the back these could be used on pre-Thunderbolt Macs. As long as they're v1.2 compliant.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here...
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That's a joke, right?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

The main reason to have an ethernet port is since these displays will be used by pro shops (graphic design, video, audio, etc) and we typically need to move our files to the network. Gigabit ethernet is a far cry from WiFi speeds. With Ethernet in the back of the display, you can easily disconnect your MBP/A for a meeting and then come back and "plug in" with one cord.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    modemode Posts: 163member
    More consumer level over-priced useless crap or are they going to release a matte version and make it an awesome display?
  • Reply 13 of 73
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonBoozer View Post

Since the "Thunderbolt port" is the same physical port as the Mini Displayport on previous generation Macs, and Displayport (version 1.2 and newer) supports multiple daisy-chained monitors even without Thunderbolt, I'm not sure that these photos show that Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are required or indeed that these are "Thunderbolt-equipped" monitors. Though we can probably assume they support Thunderbolt

Seems to me as long as both monitors support DP1.2 and have DP/Thunderbolt "out" ports on the back these could be used on pre-Thunderbolt Macs. As long as they're v1.2 compliant.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here...

I'm sure DisplayPort protocol would work fine with the older Macs with mDP ports. But that's it. No data. Even if they can update the mDP port drivers on older Macs to allow for the use of USB over the designated pins (it's part of the spec) I doubt that the current LED Apple Displays are wired allow the USB data to access the USB hub on those displays.

This begs the question: Will Apple sell both monitors until all Macs have been updated or will these new LED Apple Displays have a USB port in back that can also function as an optional bridge so older Macs need only a USB-A (male)-to-USB (male) cable.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors?

Can the Nvidia 320M IGP spec support 2x(2560x1600) and 1280x800 at the same time? That's over 9 million pixels.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dick applebaum View Post

it will have the full complement of modern connectors -- rs232, centronics, scsi, s!00, adb, omninet, nestar, tocken ring,appletalk...

+1
  • Reply 17 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?

Shortcoming of the Intel HD Graphics 3000 built into the CPU.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple: this is a health and productivity issue. Please, include matte displays, at least as an option.

You can sign the matte petition at:

MacMatte (matte petition)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?

Give me a break.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Not really since the report is about what they did last quarter. When they drop anything this quarter would change the numbers

The ethernet isn't that far fetched. Thunderbolt is a very flexible technology that can have multiple protocols run over it. A scenario that this would work well in is a small project studio. I could have 2 27" Thunderbolt ACD's with my high speed external SSD storage array daisy chained along with my other Audio & video I/O devices. They could have an ethernet connection on the ACD that would allow me to have my workstation wired for a more secure & consistent connection to my network. Then I can get to my desk, plug in my MBP to the power & Thunderbolt connections, toss it in a Dock and and have all my studio gear running on my MBP with 2 cables.

Personally I doubt Apple will put an ethernet controller in the ACD's but it's not out of the realm of having some benefit.
  • Reply 20 of 73

Please let there be an Anti-Glare option or product on the horizon.  I'm sick of seeing my bookshelf, scowling face, light, etc. during the day. Am, I alone?