Apple's MacBook Air refresh may boost RAM, SSD specs

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Well, if Lion will not work fast in my MBA 2 Gb will throw away and Apple together.

Just to update statistics: have 30 Gb of 64 free. It is my sole computer and used it everyday with the 10 years-old full backup available. No downloaded videos and music, of course.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    a 128gb ssd, 4gb ram & i7, thunderbolt macbook air would suit me perfectly.

it's enough to run all my stuff on (photoshop, web etc.) and light enough to not be a pain.

i've got Lion running on a 2.4ghz 2008 macbook and it runs fine, this would be a pretty sweet replacement.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What display do you current use with a substantially lower dot pitch.

I had the 13 inch previously. Found it too cumbersome when trying to RDP, dreamweaver, etc. Bought the 15 MBP but should've got the 1650 display instead. Guess I'm a real estate whore...
  • Reply 84 of 87
    mdg1019mdg1019 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OMG. I want one now, if they offer the i7 and 256GB of storage. Losing the GeForce 320M kinda sucks, but the 4GB of RAM, if true, is the thing that would push me to upgrade.

I hope you're wrong about losing the Nvidia graphics. In reviews I've read comparing the Samsung Series 9, which uses Intel's integrated graphics, to the current MBAs, the MBAs leave the S9s in the dust for graphics intensive tasks. There's just no comparison. Hopefully, Apple is smart and hasn't gone that route.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdg1019 View Post

I hope you're wrong about losing the Nvidia graphics. In reviews I've read comparing the Samsung Series 9, which uses Intel's integrated graphics, to the current MBAs, the MBAs leave the S9s in the dust for graphics intensive tasks. There's just no comparison. Hopefully, Apple is smart and hasn't gone that route.

See the current 13" MBP for your answer.

They were able to get FCPX to work on the Intel HD 3000, and I think that's their new baseline.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    dcorbandcorban Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

A typical consumer grade digital picture is about 1 MB. That means you have somewhere in the range of 15,000 pictures. You realize that you're usage is far from average, right?

I currently have just under 2000 photos in my iPhoto library. The highest resolution is from my 10 megapixel Canon S90 (between 2-3MB each).

However, my "trash" folder in iPhoto has ~2500 photos inside. I suppose I could delete them to recover half of my space, but there is no need. That's what the trash folder is for: to recover deleted files.

The point of my original post is that people use their computers to do things such as music, photos, videos, and downloading files. Sure, I could delete my iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie libraries to reclaim the space, but then why the hell would I even use a Mac? I'd just buy an iPad instead.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

How expensive is insanely expensive? (just out of curiousity)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Both the 11" and 13" versions of MacBook Air have 16 DDR3 chips, 8 on each side of the board. For 2GB, 1Gbit chips are used. For 4GB, 2Gbit chips are used. For 8GB, 4Gbit chips would be needed, but these are so rare I can't even find a quoted price. They seem to be sampling, not shipping yet.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...mini/DDR3_1333

Here are 8GB SO-DIMMs with 4Gbit chips. At the prices charged by this company, going from 4GB to 8GB in a MacBook Air would add $660 to the retail price. In the current market, Apple would have to charge something more like $1000 to maintain their margins. Until that drops to perhaps $400 or so in 2012 or 2013, we won't see an 8GB BTO for the MacBook Air -- with the possible exception of hypothetical 15" or 17" models which might have space for twice as many RAM chips.