will Lion be available via software update from 10.6 .

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Will Lion be available via s/w update from 10.6 ?.

Time back 10.6 was available on s/w update from 10.5. will it be the same with lion when it releases in a few days ?... Really hope so it will.

If not,

if i buy 1 Lion can I install it on all my macs ?.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No, of course not. You use the Mac App Store, not Software Update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robert.dalmeida View Post

Time back 10.6 was available on s/w update from 10.5.

No, it wasn't.

Quote:

if i buy 1 Lion can I install it on all my macs ?.

Yes. By installing it from the Mac App Store after logging in with the account originally used to purchase it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    Short answer: no. You buy it from the Mac Store. This is printed pretty much everywhere on the web that talks about Lion.

Secondly: you're completely misremembering Snow Leopard if you think you downloaded it from Software Update. Apple never has and never will offer a full update for free. 10.x.1, 10.x.2, 10.x.3, yes, those are free. But the 10.x.0? Never. They come out on DVDs in pretty boxes and are released at massive events where nerds like us line up for hours to be the first ones in at midnight and grab a box.

Thirdly: yes but Apple reserves the right to limit how many computers you can put it on and not tell you until you hit that point and that's clearly stated on the App Store. Said same policy applies to all software and all developers; it's up to Apple whether they want to limit it to one computer per Apple ID, five computers, ten, or an unlimited number. I'm personally guessing it'll be limited to five at the most, but we won't know until it releases.