Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shortly after leaked images of an updated Thunderbolt-capable LED Cinema Display surfaced, the Apple Online Store's page for the product stopped working, serving as further evidence that a refresh is imminent.

Update: Apple has restored the pages in question to working order.

Late Friday, Apple's own links to the product page for its $999 27-inch LED display went down, instead offering up the message, "Oops! An error has occurred during your session," as noticed by TUAW.

Additionally, the digital storefront's Displays & Graphics page shows a placeholder cardboard box image for the product and links to the currently unavailable Cinema Display page. However, the correct image does show up in the Similar Products view.

While it's certainly possible that Apple is merely experiencing technical difficulties with its website, Friday's discovery of images on Apple's servers showing off a new Thunderbolt-equipped display point to the likelihood of an upcoming refresh. URLs for the images identified the part number for the new displays as "MC914," which had previously been claimed to be for either a Mac Pro or white MacBook.

One leaked image depicts two Cinema Displays daisy-chained to a MacBook Pro. The images are also noteworthy because they feature the new Mac OS X Lion desktop background instead of the Snow Leopard background depicted on images of the current version of the display.

AppleInsider was first to report the company's plans for a Thunderbolt-equipped display last month. Given the apparent timing of the update, the new displays could launch alongside upgrade MacBook Air models, which are expected to arrive soon.

The new ultra-thin laptops are said to include the Thunderbolt I/O, new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel and backlit keyboards. AppleInsider noted last month that Apple has been holding back the machines until Lion is finished. The next major upgrade to Mac OS X is scheduled to arrive sometime in July. People familiar with the matter have recently suggested that last minute security issues related to the new app resume feature may have resulted in minor delays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple: this is a health and productivity issue. Please, include matte displays, at least as an option.

You can sign the matte petition at:

MacMatte (matte petition)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com
  • Reply 2 of 90
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    MacRumors is reporting that an iMac was seen sporting the new Lion wallpaper in the Apple Online Store as well which was later removed...

These reports of the Cinema Display, broken links and Lion wallpapers would surely be strong indications that not only is the Cinema Display imminent but in fact Lion...

Also, in pictures of the Cinema Display that were leaked, a Mac Mini is shown which may suggest that if an update was made alongside Lion, its aesthetics would be similar.

Updated: The images on MacRumors which AppleInsider posted several of recently, show a Mac Mini connected to a Cinema Display via what looks like a Thunderbolt cable... Hmm...

• Reply 3 of 90
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    But I still see it in CA.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    What unbelievable luck! I just purchased my 27" display for my MBA (office monitor) TODAY! About 2 hours after unpacking it for weekend testing, I read the article. Talk about pure coincidence!

The LED Display page was down a few hours, but is back up now (here in SF) with no mention of the Thunderbolt setup.

I've got two weeks of use with my current display before I can return it. If the new one is days away, I will be curious to know how compatible the Thunderbolt port is with my late 2010 MBA. If there are no options for me and others with non-Thunderbolt machines, I'll stick with the one I just bought.

I did hook it up to my 27" i7 iMac as a second monitor just for kicks. The amount of real estate is just insane! They are beautiful monitors.

Clock is ticking...
  • Reply 5 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mymoon View Post

But I still see it in CA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The LED Display page was down a few hours, but is back up now (here in SF) with no mention of the Thunderbolt setup.

Clock is ticking...

It seems the US store has it back up but Australia's page still goes to that "Oops." message. I think they were probably testing it for their website overhaul once Lion/Cinema Display/MBA's/Maybe Mini's or Macbooks are all released.

Think about the number of images on the site with SL wallpaper... My god. What a big change.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

It seems the US store has it back up but Australia's page still goes to that "Oops." message. I think they were probably testing it for their website overhaul once Lion/Cinema Display/MBA's/Maybe Mini's or Macbooks are all released.

Think about the number of images on the site with SL wallpaper... My god. What a big change.

Yes, it will be a big revamp of the site to remove all the SL photos. I sense a storm coming!
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yes, it will be a big revamp of the site to remove all the SL photos. I sense a storm coming!

Bring it on.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I guess it will be pointless to ask for a matte led display but there you have it.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC...&rs=mostUseful
  • Reply 10 of 90
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw apple are getting some abysmally bad reviews due to the glass in their very own site, with 80% or more people agreeing to them....

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:
  • Reply 11 of 90
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

I suppose that if you don't like it, don't buy it. I love the display on my 27" iMac
  • Reply 12 of 90
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I suppose that if you don't like it, don't buy it. I love the display on my 27" iMac

Nope. We are asking for a matte option. Choice is good.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    On the Mac page US site, the blank banner has a click through to the MPB page, notice the Lion banner does not have "coming in July".
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

the mba is great i ll vouch for that, there's no glass, and hardly any reflections, the imac is another, sad, sad story.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...

Either that - or the tiny percentage of people who are all worked up about the glass but are too cheap to buy a screen protector are very, very vocal.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

WheN macrumors posted the image of lion with the imac i went to the us page and it was not there then i went to the italian and it had it, now everything is with sl again. What do you think is happening
  • Reply 18 of 90
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Old postings.

Between 5 am checking my email on my iPhone, watching the morning news on my flat screen, riding the commuter train 2 and a half hours a day with my either my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro opened, working at my desk for 7 hours in front of two 27+" monitors, sitting down to glass topped dining table at supper, relaxing in front of our flat screen in a room surrounded on two sides with glass, walled with framed photos/art next to glassed covered coffee and end table till I retire about 19 hour later, my wife says the only dull thing I face for any length of time is looking in the mirror while I shave in the morning.

Perhaps after a stint in the military bivouacked in camouflage tents and dressed in dull kahki, digging up rat holes, you get to associated non-shiny things as dirt. As we did then, making things dull was easy; keeping it shiny was the hard part.

Maybe at 70+ years I appreciate reflection: it assures me that I am still alive.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    It's kinda hard to tell from the pic on Macrumors, but the mini attached to the new display doesn't look like it has an optical drive.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

It's kinda hard to tell from the pic on Macrumors, but the mini attached to the new display doesn't look like it has an optical drive.

That's what the Mac Mini Server looks like.