Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    It sums up, in a way that only a picture can, why their days are numbered: look at the colors, the canned graphics. The echo of Ballmer in the design sense and the headline.

Understand, I think they're a massive engineering company. And it's not like I hate Windows. I use it every day at work. But look at the PR graphic that somebody from Corporate -- Mr. Ballmer himself? -- and you know why MSFT has always been uncool, no matter how decent a Windows computer actually is.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft plans to massively expand its retail presence in the U.S. in the next 2 to 3 years, with an aggressive goal of 75 new stores to take on Apple's own retail operations.

And one will visit such a store for what exactly?
  • Reply 103 of 113
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Supposedly, Apple put Tiffany's in the rearview mirror a few years back (on this metric). And they've only gotten better.

Thompson

The key word in that sentence is 'supposedly'. Apple aren't saying what their highest stores are grossing, their 5th Avenue store could very plausibly be beating Tiffany, but it's not a certain fact - it's just analyst chatter.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
  • Reply 105 of 113
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    In other news, Apple led U.S. retail growth in the first quarter of calendar 2011, accounting for a whopping 20 percent of all sales growth by publicly traded American retailers during the three-month period.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Has your PC had a near death experience? well bring it on down to the Microsoft WIndows Store 7 for a little bit or retail therapy and talk to our Computer Repair Action Personnel.

Computer Repair Action Personnel.... Computer Repair Action Personnel..... hmmmm. CRAP. Yes.

Reminds me of National Public Radio and a program called Cartalk. One year I donated during the pledge drive and received my 'gift' in the mail with "Cartalk Roadside Assistance Package" blazoned on the outside of the package in something like 48 pt font. It really was just a bunch of crap and Tom & Ray were actually proud that it was just crap.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The key word in that sentence is 'supposedly'. Apple aren't saying what their highest stores are grossing, their 5th Avenue store could very plausibly be beating Tiffany, but it's not a certain fact - it's just analyst chatter.

Dude! Look at your original response, which indicated that Apple was saying but the others weren't...

======

As with so many things, it's complicated. Analysts can calculate Apple's average Sales/sq-ft because Apple does publish it's total retail revenues. It's a bit more than $4000/sq-ft, which is pretty huge already.

http://www.theiospost.com/latest/201...il-stores.html

The Tiffany comparison is from this story http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aK4TfewPa37M. Which is basically a real estate guy pulling a number out of the air.

=====

That was YOU claiming that Apple's average retail sales were known, and u know that to be true. And that was YOU claiming that Tiffany's numbers were just hear say from some real estate agent. Apparently your argument has changed to make the Apple numbers more opaque. NOW this is ME, asserting that BOTH Apple's and Tiffany's total retail revenues and store sizes are comOletely known and that the metric clearly shows that Apple is the worldwide leader on this metric.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    Quote:

Has your PC had a near death experience? well bring it on down to the Microsoft WIndows Store 7 for a little bit or retail therapy and talk to our Computer Repair Action Personnel.

I worked for an outfit that did a lot of fiber optic telephony and we had a group that went to potential customers (telcos) to install demo systems with live customers (homes & businesses). The group was called the Product Introduction Support Team). Our boss actually had a stencil made of the initials that was inked on all our test devices, large tools, canvas carrying cases, etc. What an embarrassment at the airports dragging a tool box labeled PIST.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Some one at Microsoft is going to think they are brilliant and they are going to call their in store technical help desk the Start Button - with a big logo of the Windows Start Button behind the desk and no text - continuing the tradition of confusing customers as to exactly what the purpose of the Start Button is and when they should visit it.

On the plus side they can save some time by laminating under the glass a document that says:

1. Did you reboot?

2. Did you reinstall the program?

3. DId you run Windows update?

4. Did you contact the hardware vendor?

5. Did you contact the software vendor?

6. Did you repeat steps 1 through 3?

7. Please press the Start Button.

But then people will be confused because item 7 is a play on words of sorts - meaning make an appointment to engage the technical staff at the store not to press the start button on their computer.

Would be hilarious if half the users who use their tech staff ask about things like getting their iPod to sync and copying their music folder from the Windows to their new Mac etc.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Quote:

Some one at Microsoft is going to think they are brilliant and they are going to call their in store technical help desk the Start Button - with a big logo of the Windows Start Button behind the desk and no text - continuing the tradition of confusing customers as to exactly what the purpose of the Start Button is and when they should visit it.

On the plus side they can save some time by laminating under the glass a document that says:

1. Did you reboot?

2. Did you reinstall the program?

3. DId you run Windows update?

4. Did you contact the hardware vendor?

5. Did you contact the software vendor?

6. Did you repeat steps 1 through 3?

7. Please press the Start Button.

But then people will be confused because item 7 is a play on words of sorts - meaning make an appointment to engage the technical staff at the store not to press the start button on their computer.

Would be hilarious if half the users who use their tech staff ask about things like getting their iPod to sync and copying their music folder from the Windows to their new Mac etc.

chuckle - giggle - ROFLMAO! Excellent.

Some people will wonder why they weren't asked to press whatever that classic key combo is (control-alt-escape?) or why they weren't told to press the "enny" key.

The Genius Bar as a Start Button - an instant classic! Thanks for making my Friday.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

chuckle - giggle - ROFLMAO! Excellent.

Some people will wonder why they weren't asked to press whatever that classic key combo is (control-alt-escape?) or why they weren't told to press the "enny" key.

The Genius Bar as a Start Button - an instant classic! Thanks for making my Friday.

definitely should have added did you press Ctlr-Alt-Del and did you press Escape - then they spend half their day explaining that Escape is the button labeled Esc and no no Control-Alt-Del is the same as Ctlr - no, no you have to push all three buttons as the same time.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    My first reaction to the news was; what are they going to sell?!

Cardboard boxes for software that Apple has the better equivalent of for download at the Appstore, at a lower price, more conveniently?

Crappy, overproduced keyboards and mice?

Other peoples computers?
  • Reply 113 of 113
    Apple = Monsanto.