iPad 2 ship times improve to 1-3 days as Apple overcomes backlog

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Everywhere I looked this weekend, I saw people using iPads. I was gobsmacked.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

interesting even after 4+ months of short supple

people aren't moving to the competition

and how can anyone think of ipad 3 with this type of demand

wait till school starts and more school announcements made, my school is looking into it

its magical

Clearly the "competition" isn't good enough. I know of a number of schools buying iPads over PCs. I am not sure all the teachers making those buying decisions are making them for the right reasons.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Everywhere I looked this weekend, I saw people using iPads. I was gobsmacked.

The public is gobsmacked. The competition is flummoxed. It would take a magical product to have such effects.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Retail sales rise and fall in all world regions depending on many factors, e.g. holiday periods etc and even the time of the month causing natural drops and increases in demand.

The point I'm trying to make is that we haven't even reached any "natural" fluctuations in demand. Think of it as a extremely full dam, all that demand is there, with the dam outlet being the supply of iPads easing the water level in the dam. Yes, in a normal situation the rain and river causes the dam level to fluctuate. But we're in a scenario where apple is trying to increase the flow out of the dam (ie increase iPad production and supply), but the dam is still very full (pent-up demand) and there's more water coming into the dam (more people want iPad as they learn more about it and as desire grows).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The idea that Apple were deliberately producing iPads any less quickly than they possibly could is asinine.

Production efficiency has improved, and demand has slowed. That's the story.

Hi Tonton, I agree with the first part but respectfully disagree on the second. Production has improved, but demand remains extremely high, and there remains a very high number of countries where Macs are sold with no reliable daily in-store supply of iPads.

We all have to remember that Apple generally has "Ships in 24 hours" on the online store. Reaching that is the first point where we can begin to imagine demand is being met. Even if that happens, remember that's the online store only. Globally you have almost 400 official Apple Stores, and then you have many, many more Apple-specific resellers in most countries where Macs are regularly sold. Not to mention the next tier of third-party resellers like Sears, Best Buy, Harvey Norman (Asia Pacific).
  • Reply 25 of 25
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Globally you have almost 400 official Apple Stores, and then you have many, many more Apple-specific resellers in most countries where Macs are regularly sold. Not to mention the next tier of third-party resellers like Sears, Best Buy, Harvey Norman (Asia Pacific).

And then there are online Apple stores -- for example, in the UK iPad shipping times are still 3 to 5 days.