Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

That's what people said last week! Why can't Apple just go on the record and give us a day? It's got to be out within two weeks anyway, just narrow it down Apple.

Because if they did that, then people would deride them if unforeseen circumstances caused them to miss the date, even if only by one day.

The "anticipation" among rumor sites and tech sites also tends to provide them with a TON of FREE publicity ... this method has been working so well for them for the last decade, why change it?

It's not like 10.6 is going to cease to operate at the moment 10.7 is released ... your computer will still function just fine until you find the time to update.

If your entire life is planned around getting Lion at the earliest possible hour, well... perhaps your life isn't as exciting as you think ...
  • Reply 22 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) By default the user's Library folder is hidden in Lion. Using Terminal you can either show all hidden files all the time:
    Code:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

but that is an ugly solution, or you can just unhide the Library folder:
    Code:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

2) The default installer's default verification isn't foolproof. Best to check to the main disk image located within the Mac OS X Lion installer app. Control-click » Show Package Contents » Contents » Shared Support » verify InstallESD.dmg.

3) The InstallESD.dmg file is also what you need to make a bootable installer that you can burn to a SL-DVD, or put on any spinning disc or solid state partition. Open Disk Utility » click on any Restore tab in the right-hand pane » make the source the mounted InstallESD.dmg and the destination the blank DVD or formatted partition by dragging and dropping from the left-hand pane.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Personally, I doubt it. I believe the offer is for all apps *purchased* through the Mac App store.

My understanding is that they will issue redeem codes for those who have purchased a Mac since the WWDC announcement. That happens through the Mac App Store and therefore would work on his Macs.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arterivir View Post

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM

And what of the Mac Pro which in base form comes with 3GB? The problem is that if Lion really were such a hog, that would mean that resources that should be available for other software is now not.

Lot's of people own Macs with less than 4GB of RAM. Are we to assume that if any of those many customers choose to buy Lion, it's going to cripple their machines?

I can't imagine that Apple wants Lion to only be adopted by Mac owners running at least 4GB because if that was the intention, Apple would have charged more than $30. That low price is intended, I think, to make the switch to Lion as quick as possible on as many machines as possible, including Macs with modest RAM numbering probably in the millions.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Exactly. If you got Lion free with the computer, you didn't buy it through the store and thus won't be able to re-downoad it on another machine.

Lots of folks have iLife 11 for example, but didn't purchase it through the store, so it doesn't show as "purchased" or "installed" even though it's the same product.

What you are saying makes sense. However, if you purchase Lion for $29 from the Mac App store, you are allowed to install it on all your computers. At least, that is my understanding. So, if you download it for free for your just-purchased Mac, will it not show up as a "purchased" app in your list of apps? Every app you obtain from the Mac App store, whether free or paid for, shows up in your list of apps obtained from the store.

To prevent you from getting a free Lion for your new Mac, and then installing it on all your old Mac's, Apple will have to restrict it somehow. I am not saying they won't. I am just wondering.

In fact, it may be in Apple's interest to allow just what I am wondering about. "Buy a new Mac, get free Lion for all your Mac's - new and old." Of course, this only applies to Mac's that have Snow Leopard and were purchased after June 6.

Either way, I will be happy to pay the $29. It will be a bargain, I am sure.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because if they did that, then people would deride them if unforeseen circumstances caused them to miss the date, even if only by one day.

The "anticipation" among rumor sites and tech sites also tends to provide them with a TON of FREE publicity ... this method has been working so well for them for the last decade, why change it?

It's not like 10.6 is going to cease to operate at the moment 10.7 is released ... your computer will still function just fine until you find the time to update.

If your entire life is planned around getting Lion at the earliest possible hour, well... perhaps your life isn't as exciting as you think ...

If i'm not mistaken, Apple prefers to release new product after presenting their latest financials when new product and the financials are due to be released around the same time. As such, any reports suggesting that Apple was going to release any new products the week before an earnings report had to be considered highly suspect.

Tomorrow Apple reports its latest earnings and in the coming weeks, new products will be introduced. I would imagine that since the new iPhone and iPods are coming in September, Apple will release their other hardware after tomorrow and prior to September. Probably Apple will spread out the introductions to maximize free PR generated by stories about the new hardware.

Wednesday or Thursday sounds about right for Lion and it looks like the Air is coming this week, too.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

And what of the Mac Pro which in base form comes with 3GB? The problem is that if Lion really were such a hog, that would mean that resources that should be available for other software is now not.

Lot's of people own Macs with less than 4GB of RAM. Are we to assume that if any of those many customers choose to buy Lion, it's going to cripple their machines?

I can't imagine that Apple wants Lion to only be adopted by Mac owners running at least 4GB because if that was the intention, Apple would have charged more than $30. That low price is intended, I think, to make the switch to Lion as quick as possible on as many machines as possible, including Macs with modest RAM numbering probably in the millions.

Apple states "At least 2GB of RAM" which I think falls within all the 64-bit Macs they've sold. I'm with you, I don't understand why people think Macs yet unreleased are the new minimum in HW requirements for an OS designed to run on HW from 2007. Makes no sense.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Apparently this news has sent Apple stock soaring according to the AI ticker: "AAPL: 505,545,728.00 ( +0.01"

hoping this and earnings tomorrow will get us to $400+
  • Reply 28 of 105
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I certainly hope so. iWork '09 is ready for an update, and my guess would be that the major points holding it up so far have been the Lion release and the polishing of the iOS versions. With the iOS releases being fleshed out and largely completed, and Lion coming out very soon, I would reckon we should be seeing it shortly.

iWork will get an update this week (if Lion is released) to enable 'versions' as the current release does not support versions yet.

I just pulled 3 2gb sticks out of my iMac and it runs fine with 2Gb. Slows down a bit when loading vmware fusion running xp. With the full 8gb back in it zooms along in Lion. Much much faster than snow leopard was.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:

Those were boxed software. Lion is digital-download only, likely being given for free to recent Mac owners by redemption codes. See above for further info.

The question was about Macs shipping with Lion installed and possible discs provided. In both cases, it wouldn't necessarily, and isn't likely to be, listed as an installed or purchased product vis a vis the App store.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Those were boxed software. Lion is digital-download only, likely being given for free to recent Mac owners by redemption codes. See above for further info.

No. Apple said that the Mac App Store was the only place to buy a digital download of Lion. They didn't say it was digital download only. Apple had a tendency to play semantics, so you have to listen carefully to their statements.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

According to people with proven track records who would be in a position to know, the new product launches are set to occur later this week. Specifically, one person said the products would be released on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. Eastern.

The latest details align with what AppleInsider was told earlier this month, when it reported that new MacBook Air models with backlit keyboards and Thunderbolt ports would launch the week of July 21.

Those details were reaffirmed late last week in a separate report that corroborated other details, including the fact that Apple is expected to do away with the entry-level 64GB solid-state flash hard drive option. Instead, the new MacBook Airs are expected to have a minimum of 128GB in capacity.

The new notebooks, according to Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, are also expected to come with 4GB of RAM as the standard. That extra memory will allow the systems to better run Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's next-generation operating system, also said to become available this week.

Apple has been holding off on the introduction of new Mac hardware until it finally releases Lion. Apple has not offered a specific launch date for the operating system, only promising that it will become available on the Mac App Store for $29.99 at some point in July.

A few weeks ago, Apple began undertaking preparatory measures to unveil Lion. While it was initially believed that the operating system could have gone on sale as soon as last week, there have been rumors of last-minute holdups associated with the logistics and infrastructure related to Apple's switch to a digital distribution method through the Mac App Store.

The Golden Master of Lion was seeded to developers on July 1. The term "Golden Master" means that the software is viewed as a final build that will be identical to the software released to the general public.

While Lion and the new MacBook Air models are said to be set to launch this week, there has been no specific indication given regarding any other hardware. However, Apple provided its own evidence of a forthcoming refresh to its LED Cinema Display last week, when it posted images on its site showing a Thunderbolt-equipped display with the new part number "MC914."

Supply of Apple's white MacBook has also been severely constrained since late June, suggesting a change to the product could be forthcoming. However, AppleInsider has received no indication of an imminent hardware refresh.

That would leave just the Mac mini and Mac Pro as the only Mac hardware not updated in 2011. In June, CNet reported that Apple planned to update both the Mac Pro and Mac mini either at the end of July or the first week of August. The Mac mini was last refreshed in June 2010, while the Mac Pro was last updated a month later, in July.

=============

Only two news stories are required here.

1. Titled "Apple to release Lion on 7-31-11.

2. Titled "Apple releases Lion earlier than originally announced"

However there will be a third posted on 8-1-11, titled "Next version of OSX to be released ......"
  • Reply 32 of 105
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Oh that's right, nobody's ever announced a release date for anything. Ever. Oh wait, it happens all the time and even Apple has done it more than two weeks out with products which are not already complete and which have required more lead time to launch.

Quote:

They already got that. The product is out within two weeks. Just putting a date on it won't lower publicity. In fact, it will dramatically increase publicity outside of enthusiast sites. Mac OS X is not a niche product any more.

Quote:

That's stupid. You're making the argument that there is no point in being excited about an upgrade unless the thing it's replacing is rendered inoperable. That's a fallacious argument and utterly irrelevant.

Quote:

That's another fallacious argument. And equally irrelevant. I didn't say anything about planning my life around it or how exciting my life is, I said I wanted them to name a date, simply expressing a desire for clarity.

Seriously, what the hell is your problem?
  • Reply 33 of 105
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    It all sounds good to me. I'm not in the market, unfortunately, for a new Mac of any kind though I will enjoy reading all about the new Airs and forthcoming Mini and Mac Pros. I am planning like some many others on upgrading both my Mac Pro and the wife's new MBP. Nice to know that I only need to buy the $29 upgrade once to cover both machines.

One quick question... I think I remember reading that Lion has trim support for "all" SSD drives, not just the Apple factory SSD drives. Anyone know the truth of this?
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

One quick question... I think I remember reading that Lion has trim support for "all" SSD drives, not just the Apple factory SSD drives. Anyone know the truth of this?

As of the GM there is no TRIM support for SSDs not supplied by Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    So, anyone care to speculate about the likelihood of a higher capacity SSD option on the 13" Air?

I'm so hoping for something more than 256GB...
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

So, anyone care to speculate about the likelihood of a higher capacity SSD option on the 13" Air?

I'm so hoping for something more than 256GB...

1) The 13" MBA already has a 256GB option.

2) Based on circumstantial evidence of the solid state market I'd wager the whole line gets a doubling in capacity for the same price point.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    -delete irrelevant-
  • Reply 38 of 105
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As of the GM there is no TRIM support for SSDs not supplied by Apple.

Has anyone (else) tested using 3rd party? I bought an OCZ Vertex 3 in honor of the Lion GM release and used one of the many "patches" out there to light TRIM up. Feels like it works but I'm nowhere close to full.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

What you are saying makes sense. However, if you purchase Lion for $29 from the Mac App store, you are allowed to install it on all your computers. At least, that is my understanding. So, if you download it for free for your just-purchased Mac, will it not show up as a "purchased" app in your list of apps? Every app you obtain from the Mac App store, whether free or paid for, shows up in your list of apps obtained from the store.

To prevent you from getting a free Lion for your new Mac, and then installing it on all your old Mac's, Apple will have to restrict it somehow. I am not saying they won't. I am just wondering.

In fact, it may be in Apple's interest to allow just what I am wondering about. "Buy a new Mac, get free Lion for all your Mac's - new and old." Of course, this only applies to Mac's that have Snow Leopard and were purchased after June 6.

Either way, I will be happy to pay the $29. It will be a bargain, I am sure.

29 bucks is indeed a great bargain and no one except the painfully and irredeemably cheap should really spend more than a minute worrying about it. Even if you just bought a brand new computer and even if it *doesn't* come with Lion pre-installed it's no big deal to spend an extra thirty bucks for what you get.

No one really knows the answers to these questions until it ships, but if Lion isn't pre-installed then it will likely be an App store download and yes, it should be applicable to multiple computers.

Even if it is pre-installed (and thus not downloaded from the App Store), there are "tricks" to make it appear as if it was installed from the App Store, that Apple might utilise just for the sake of making it easy for everyone.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    I am excited but what if all apps don't work. Will people wait?

I cannot risk having no Adobe CS5 on my computer