Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Apparently this news has sent Apple stock soaring according to the AI ticker: "AAPL: 505,545,728.00 ( +0.01"

hoping this and earnings tomorrow will get us to $400+

$505 million? Man, I was hoping to pick up some stock soon, but maybe not...

When people see that picture, doesn't it make you think of Mac OS X 10.7 Aslan?

Okay, serious question now: I had heard something about being able to make a bootable installer on an SD card instead of a DVD - does anyone know if that's really possible and how it would be done?
  • Reply 42 of 105
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I am excited but what if all apps don't work. Will people wait?

I cannot risk having no Adobe CS5 on my computer

Ditto.....I now cant wait for that slim machine on wed (...thurs..... fri...)

[pls have 4gb of RAM]
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

Or as late as some time in the future... This is beyond annoying at this point...

It's clear no one has any clue what Apple is doing...
  • Reply 44 of 105
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

That's what people said last week! Why can't Apple just go on the record and give us a day? It's got to be out within two weeks anyway, just narrow it down Apple.

Probably because they don't know. With the download-only model, they can work up to the day before release. They may still be fixing bugs reported from the GM build.

In the past, they had to ship it to CD duplicators and packaging, so they could announce ahead of time and offer pre-orders. Now, then can just release it when it's ready. There's no time to pre-announce.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Sick of these space-filling articles. If AI's pattern holds true, tomorrow there should be an article titled, "Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as tomorrow," right?

And I assume Thursday's will be, "Apple released Lion, new MacBook Airs yesterday."
  • Reply 46 of 105
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

CS5 works fine on Lion.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your existing installation to an external drive (if you have one big enough, also FW800 makes it nice if you have to boot and run the old OS from it).

I did this before doing a scratch install on my iMac. Not needed to boot from the external drive as everything is working fine on the GM.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    I've been waiting for Lion for ages now, I'm getting irritable waiting for it. :I

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) By default the user's Library folder is hidden in Lion. Using Terminal you can either show all hidden files all the time:
    Code:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

but that is an ugly solution, or you can just unhide the Library folder:
    Code:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Or you could not edit anything and just use the open command.

Code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

CS5 works fine on Lion.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your existing installation to an external drive (if you have one big enough, also FW800 makes it nice if you have to boot and run the old OS from it).

I did this before doing a scratch install on my iMac. Not needed to boot from the external drive as everything is working fine on the GM.

Rather than copying it over and risk CS5 freaking out over a new OS, just deactivate CS5 before installation. Re-Install and Re-activate. Its a much safer option and Adobe's systems are updated when you re-activate showing that you are an OS 10.7 user.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.

Or you could edit stuff and have a regular folder like normal people.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arterivir View Post

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM

Yes, but for fanbois the minimum is 4GB of pure overpriced Apple RAM... anything less and you're a fool in the eyes of iFools
  • Reply 51 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Code:

open $home/Library

I put "open $home/Library" into Spotlight and my Library didn't appear¡ Take another look at what changing the flags does for those that use a GUI for accessing the bulk of our data.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arterivir View Post

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM

How does it run in comparison to Snow Leopard? I have a Mini - the last of the white-top models (2.53 ghz, 4 gigs of ram) and I'm dying to get Lion, but I'm worried about how it will run Aperture 3, which is a resources hog and can be frustratingly slow on my Mini, even with 4 gigs of ram.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Personally, I doubt it. I believe the offer is for all apps *purchased* through the Mac App store.

Lion is only available through MAS so the up to date users will be purchasing it, using a redemption code.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:

I put "open $home/Library" into Spotlight and my Library didn't appear¡ Take another look at what changing the flags does for those that use a GUI for accessing the bulk of our data.

Terminal, not spotlight.

Put the following into an executable command file:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

open $home/Library

I use a command file to run the UNIX cleanup scripts.

Make said file executable with the chmod command and viola. No need to edit anything and you still have full access to the Library folder via the Finder with a double click. Change the second line to include the sudo command and you've also got root privileges to the folder. Folder stays hidden, you get root privileges and tada! You can also use the open command to gain access to UNIX system folders via the Finder as well.

Works wonders if you want to edit, lets say, Apache2 files via the GUI.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:

Terminal, not spotlight.

image: http://www.box.net/shared/static/7tj...1gffkag1k4.png

Put the following into an executable command file:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

open $home/Library

Make said file executable with the chmod command and viola. No need to edit anything and you still have full access to the Library folder via the Finder. Change the second line to include the sudo command and you've also got root privileges to the folder. Folder stays hidden, you get root privileges and tada! You can also use the open command to gain access to UNIX system folders via the Finder as well.

image: http://www.box.net/shared/static/t4u...rhbgcmro6i.png

Works wonders if you want to edit, lets say, Apache2 files via the GUI.

1) Note the sarcmark (¡) I included in my previous post.

2) Note the part of your post I highlighted. Changing the flags unhides the ~/Library folder so you can see and access it via Finder after a single and simple entry in Terminal, not a repeated rigamarole.

3) If you want to keep your ~/Library folder hidden in Finder so be it, but I can't for a second fathom why you are arguing against a simple fix to restore ~/Library access to the way it's worked in Finder since Mac OS X was first released.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:

1) Note the sarcmark (¡) I included in my previous post.

2) Note the part of your post I highlighted. Changing the flags unhides the ~/Library folder so you can see and access it via Finder after a single and simple entry in Terminal, not a repeated rigamarole.

3) If you want to keep your ~/Library folder hidden in Finder so be it, but I can't for a second fathom why you are arguing against a simple fix to restore ~/Library access to the way it's worked in Finder since Mac OS X was first released.

The sarc mark is a new one to me. I just stick with rolling eyes and using a sarcasm XML tag.

Its just a nice clean way to open files without editing anything. You still get access to everything from the Finder via A COMMAND FILE, you don't have to open the terminal every single time, and I wasn't arguing - I'm simply showing another method. Don't get so defensive - Its like I just insulted your mother or something
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:

Don't get so defensive - Its like I just insulted your mother or something

My mother can handle herself.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:

My mother can handle herself.

Nice to know not everyone on the Internet is a pile of pent up rage
  • Reply 59 of 105
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

There are reports floating about of CS5 users running it on the Lion GM (actually, also on various betas, too).
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm planning to buy a Mac Pro when the new model is released in a few weeks. I am retaining my Mac Mini attached to a 32-inch LCD, i.e. using it both as a media device and as a spare computer.

My question is, when Lion comes out later this week, should I spend the $30 on the new software for the Mini or will I be able to update the Mini to Lion using the discs provided with the new Mac Pro.

If you PURCHASE Lion for one computer -- it will be available for 5 of them in your household -- it's considered a family purchase.

However, your computer needs to be running Snow Lion with the App store for the time being -- as Lion will only be available as an App Store install. I haven't heard about DVD-based options yet.