Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    zephzeph Posts: 133member
    Too funny, last week they said that tuesday, then thursday, now it's this wednessday...
  • Reply 62 of 105
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Too funny, last week they said that tuesday, then thursday, now it's this wednessday...

Gotta love the [BREAKING] tag on the rumor headline, too.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

However, your computer needs to be running Snow Lion...

There's a... man on the... wing of the... plane!

Quote:

I haven't heard about DVD-based options yet.

Because there won't be any.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

If MacBook Airs come with 4GB RAM as standard, then the next refresh of the Mac mini and the white MacBook should also come with 4GB RAM as minimum. All Macs will need at least 4GB to run Lion.

Not questioning your point but I wonder why 4GB is necessary to run Lion?
  • Reply 65 of 105
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89

Or you could not edit anything and just use the open command.

code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or you could edit stuff and have a regular folder like normal people.

Or you could obey His Jobsness, and leave the damn library alone?
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Okay, serious question now: I had heard something about being able to make a bootable installer on an SD card instead of a DVD - does anyone know if that's really possible and how it would be done?

It's a pretty easy process. I've done it and the flash drive worked fine on another Mac. Here's the instructions I used:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/
  • Reply 67 of 105
    shenkesshenkes Posts: 1member
    Here is a link on making Lion Bootable off a USB stick. Hope this helps

• Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

How does it run in comparison to Snow Leopard? I have a Mini - the last of the white-top models (2.53 ghz, 4 gigs of ram) and I'm dying to get Lion, but I'm worried about how it will run Aperture 3, which is a resources hog and can be frustratingly slow on my Mini, even with 4 gigs of ram.

I have Aperture but it's one of my least-used apps, so I can't give you a comparison. If you could propose a test I could run it on my Mini, which is an early 2009 model, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB so it's even older than yours. I've got a Lion GM OS running. Send me a PM if you like and I'll set up your test and report the results.

Edit: I just fired up Aperture and imported a dozen photos, did a bit of a crop here, changed hue there, and I didn't notice any sluggishness at all.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shenkes View Post

Here is a link on making Lion Bootable off a USB stick. Hope this helps

Great minds and all that...
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

It's a pretty easy process. I've done it and the flash drive worked fine on another Mac. Here's the instructions I used:

That's what I was looking for; perfect, thanks. It says in the comments to the article that it will work just as well with an SD card, too. So now it looks like we have 3 options for restore disks.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Not questioning your point but I wonder why 4GB is necessary to run Lion?

He's wrong, 2GB is the listed minimum. THough Apple appears to have excised any reference to it from their own Lion Pages.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Just putting a date on it won't lower publicity.

But they have put a date on it, July 2011, just it may not be to your desired level of precision.

I'd rather they spent their time fixing any last minute bumps than they shovel out poor software to meet some arbitrary deadline.

Besides, it's not as if Windows 8 is launching at the same time, or indeed, same year!
  • Reply 73 of 105
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raywkf View Post

Will this new mac book air launch worldwide at the same time or just US for the moment?

I believe Apple launches its new Macs globally on the same day, this was true when I purchased my Aluminium Unibody Macbook in 2008 and to my belief has been the case since.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    Is Front Row still in Lion? Anyone running the Golden Master can respond?
  • Reply 75 of 105
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    So will Mountain Lion come out in 2013 or 2014?
  • Reply 76 of 105
    odmacodmac Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

I reckon they will come out on the 21st of July, or the 22nd. If those dates come and go and there is no sign of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or the new MacBook Airs I reckon on the 29th of July will be the final date for them to come out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

CNet reported that Apple planned to update both the Mac Pro and Mac mini either at the end of July or the first week of August. The Mac mini was last refreshed in June 2010, while the Mac Pro was last updated a month later, in July.

If this source is true..I can't wait till there are new Mac Mini's.
  • Reply 77 of 105
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple states "At least 2GB of RAM" which I think falls within all the 64-bit Macs they've sold. I'm with you, I don't understand why people think Macs yet unreleased are the new minimum in HW requirements for an OS designed to run on HW from 2007. Makes no sense.

A long, long time ago, I can still remember .....

My entry level iMac 20 inch 2.0 GHz came with just 1 GB of RAM, back in November, 2007. Of course it came with Tiger as the primary OS, and the Apple Store dudes slit open the box to drop in a Leopard upgrade DVD. Leopard was content with 512 MB, so I was fine. I think it makes perfect sense to anticipate 4 GB as a minimum, unless of course, it is also the maximum. Then Apple just gave away profit from an upgrade.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I am excited but what if all apps don't work. Will people wait?

I cannot risk having no Adobe CS5 on my computer

Here is a list of app compatibility with Lion. I am sure many current versions will get updates to run on Lion.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLad View Post

Is Front Row still in Lion? Anyone running the Golden Master can respond?

Gone. Finito. Kaputsky.

Buy an Apple TV.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

But they have put a date on it, July 2011, just it may not be to your desired level of precision.

I'd rather they spent their time fixing any last minute bumps than they shovel out poor software to meet some arbitrary deadline.

Besides, it's not as if Windows 8 is launching at the same time, or indeed, same year!

That's not a date, it's a month. Don't try and be a smartass unless you've got a point.

And we're not talking about an arbitrary date. IT'S FINISHED. They are putting it out within two weeks. Saying which of those 13 days it's actually coming on is hardly going to present a logistical problem, especially since there are no discs to print. It's not like I'm saying they should have put a date to it when they announced "July", I just want them to say when it's coming. Be realistic: they already know, they just haven't said.

And what exactly does Windows 8 have to do with anything?