• Reply 41 of 75
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Next of Kin.

+1.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    In other breaking news, I've heard rumours that Apple may be discontinuing it's top-selling iPad 2. These rumours suggest that, much like RIM, they will replace it with another model - likely to be called the iPad 3.

You heard it here first.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

I see no contradiction. It is possible for both stories to be true. RIM orders more tablets to be produced than they can sell. The cancel production for a while, and start shipping the excess abroad. RIM has no problem getting tablets on shelves; it's getting consumers to get them off the shelves that RIM and others are struggling with.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    isn't there only one model. Therefore, shouldn't the rumor be that RIM is considering stopping production on the Playbook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am doubting this rumour.

Granted, sales aren't in the same universe as the iPad (no tablet is), but it is selling on par with many an Android tablet. So why stop?

I thought they were direct order only? The Android tablets are pushing a lotin the channel but no actually selling any to consumers. Does RIM even have a channel for these?
  • Reply 45 of 75
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    what a BS rumour. RIM may be capable of some real stupidity, but this one's pushing it.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    What's with all of the vitriol and schadenfreude?
  • Reply 47 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    When the concept of Playbook was first announced I had high hopes for the product. Mainly because the world needs a non Android competitor to the iPad. Playbooks initial concept was not bad but they went down hill real fast by throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the machine (except mail).

It is very much a sign of poor leadership and a sign that no one in power at RIM has a vision. If a cOmpany lacks these essentials there is no reason to feel sad for them, all companies come to an end at some point (unless a democrat is in the white house). It is very much the nature of business.

Who knows maybe HP can get a credible tablet OS running by the end of the year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Even if one is not a BB fan, this is sad news. More jobs will be lost. A once dynamic and innovative company keeps sliding. I personally do not see any reason to rejoice over such news.

• Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Better say bye bye to Mr.Mike Lazaridis. How embarrassing, but didn't we saw this coming?

I was in Best Buy the other day and the playbook wasn't even on. Damn. But the ipads and the macs are always front and center "ON'.

I don't know why we revere CEO's so much...the average college GPA for current CEO's is a C- and 95% of the companies where the founder gives control to a CEO end up going out of business, eventually. Ford, Walmart, McDoland's, Boeing are the "outliers!"

Think what fools the Verizon Executive mgt. were when Stevo came with the original iPhone. Look at RIM, what a disaster. Same with Palm, Sony, Dell and MS. Ugh!
  • Reply 49 of 75
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

yeah, but it's so slow and clunky it's more like this guy:

(image of early rendition of DC's Flash character

At least Johnny Quick never entered the fray:

• Reply 50 of 75
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It will be interesting what RIM can do with QNX. The phone hardware is what is driving my co-workers away from their cherished Blackberries... not sure how RIM can regain the mindshare they have lost over the last 3 years.

I agree. The average user (buyer of 95% of the products) don't care what the operating system is. They care how the phone / tablet looks and behaves. So if QNX is going to be something truly revolutionary - then good call on RIM's part. But if it's just a different OS with pretty much the same interface as iOS, Windows, Android, etc -- then YAWN YAWN YAWN and fire the rest of the company 'cause it's headed there anyway.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When the concept of Playbook was first announced I had high hopes for the product. Mainly because the world needs a non Android competitor to the iPad. Playbooks initial concept was not bad but they went down hill real fast by throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the machine (except mail).

It is very much a sign of poor leadership and a sign that no one in power at RIM has a vision. If a cOmpany lacks these essentials there is no reason to feel sad for them, all companies come to an end at some point (unless a democrat is in the white house). It is very much the nature of business.

Who knows maybe HP can get a credible tablet OS running by the end of the year.

The banking industry cratered under the watch of Bush(hint:he's a republican) and he sent his treasury secretary Henry Paulson to congress to ask for almost a trillion dollars to bail them out.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    RIM and no player can beat Apple at its own game -- and they own the whole stadium at this point.

RIM has not responded to the iPhone and determined how to make the Blackberry, their core product, preferable to the iPhone in their core market. That's what happens when bean counters run your company. They tried to diversify instead and lost focus.

Maybe they should have reconsidered the Flip as their core product, then concentrated on adding more features until it became the Flip-phone and Flip-MP3.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    I certainly don't wish ill will on RIM, as I was a long time Blackberry owner, and happy for it...until their devices got slow and buggy.

Then, instead of innovating and recognizing seriously good competition in iPhone and iPad, they combined ignorance with arrogance (the 'amateur hour's over' marketing campaign in response to the huge success of iPad was a total "emperor's wearing no clothes" moment), which finally pushed me to iPhone when it became available on Verizon.

But, then they compounded the problem by launching their 'shoot the messenger' service when confronted with tough questions at media events. That kind of lost them the final morsels of sympathy, as we have seen this movie before and no how it ends.

Finally, tell me how a company that has made their name by penetrating big enterprises and carriers, falls so in love with consumers that they completely ignore their core market to the point of being even irrelevant there?

Love or hate Apple, at least you know that they don't so fall in love with their position that they are afraid to cannibalize themselves before the competition does.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree. The average user (buyer of 95% of the products) don't care what the operating system is. They care how the phone / tablet looks and behaves. So if QNX is going to be something truly revolutionary - then good call on RIM's part. But if it's just a different OS with pretty much the same interface as iOS, Windows, Android, etc -- then YAWN YAWN YAWN and fire the rest of the company 'cause it's headed there anyway.

It boggles the mind to hear all of this talk of QNX, as if there is something magical in an OS, and an embedded one at that.

Customers don't buy attributes, they buy outcomes, and NOTHING in RIM marketing has spoken to a unique, compelling outcome that is RIM's vision to take its customers to.

In that regard, all of the Flash talk by them is a bearish indicator that they are beyond clueless.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They're sliding because they laughed at Apple entering "their" market. They refused to see the future as it was going to be and kept the staus quo. I don't feel sad one bit. It's natural selection in action, survival of the fittest. Meanwhile AAPL is at an all time high of around $374

Actually it is well known that RIM had a near-heart attack after Jobs' demo of the iPhone in 2007. And for good reason.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Actually it is well known that RIM had a near-heart attack after Jobs' demo of the iPhone in 2007. And for good reason.

Yes, they actually didn't believe the iPhone was real. They thought Jobs was overstating it's abilities and battery life. They had so little imagination that it was like alien tech to them.

It is possible for another company to compete with Apple and the iPad. It would require a "skunkworks" type of division. With a talented design manager who would be in total control of the device and OS. You could probably hire someone from one of the more creative small gadget companies. You would want all new engineers - no one from the existing RIM would be involved. Oh and you would need lots of money and no interference.

Of course by the time you finished the project Apple would be so far ahead of you it wouldn't matter.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:

It's also possible that RIM may believe a forthcoming 3G/4G model, expected to launch in two to three months, could cannibalize sales of Wi-Fi-only models.

that must be one skinny cannibal.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Research In Retreat
  • Reply 59 of 75
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The banking industry cratered under the watch of Bush(hint:he's a republican) and he sent his treasury secretary Henry Paulson to congress to ask for almost a trillion dollars to bail them out.

There is an old saying that if you owe your bank a thousand dollars you are in trouble, but if you owe them a billion they are in trouble. Now we can add, if you owe them a trillion, the government is in trouble
  • Reply 60 of 75
    dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum FLASH! (dum...) Ah Ahhhh, Ah... Saviour of the Copycats!

...not really