Buying Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Should I buy a macbook pro in august this year? Or is there a newer model about to come out soon? There's speculation about the Air, but not about the Pro i think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Buy when you need it. There will always be new hardware.

Next update'll be late in the year. Think Q4. Why would you buy one in August instead of now, anyway?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoul-K View Post

Hi,

Should I buy a macbook pro in august this year? Or is there a newer model about to come out soon? There's speculation about the Air, but not about the Pro i think?

I reckon the next update will come with Ivy Bridge in January 2012. Refreshes are being pushed to almost yearly. This should bring quad-cores to the whole lineup.

So as for buying a MBP in August, I'd say that's fine.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I reckon the next update will come with Ivy Bridge in January 2012.

Or March, or April, or May, or June 2012.

Ivy Bridge to launch in March / April 2012
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If you can get by without I'd wait.

In my case I believe Lion will bring resolution independence. This brings up the possibility of a high resolution screen in the Pros. So I see a Pro refresh in the fall as a possibility.

The voice of experience here --->>>. In the spring of 2008 I purchased my new MBP only to see Apple come out with the massive improvement that we see in the unibody machines. It doesn't take a new chipset like Ivy Bridge to introduce new products.

In any event like others have mentioned buy when you need the machine. My old MBP has been a heck of a machine over the years even if it isn't a unibody. Given that Apple is about to release a bunch of new hardware and software, it is best to do nothing until the smoke clears. In that regards I'd wait until August at the minimum.

Quote:

Hi,

The flip side here is that the AIRs may get revved to the point where you might not need a MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The voice of experience here --->>>

Dave's spot on here. It's all going to depend on how badly you need it right now.

Obviously if you have a paying project or you are trying to get a research paper done, then by all means get one now. However if you can wait, I think there is a high likelihood of an October redesign — similar to 3 years ago when Apple came out with the current unibody designs. And believe me, Ivy Bridge or not a redesign/modification of the current 3-year-old MacBook Pro is coming in the next iteration of this product.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I guess the next MacBook Pro revision will probably come in Q2 2012 with Ivy Bridge. Apple might surprise us though. If I wanted a new MacBook Pro, I would buy one now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    zoul-kzoul-k Posts: 3member
    Hey all, thanks for your responses!

The reason I'm buying in August is because I'll be flying back to Malaysia for the summer. And in comparison, a MBP in Malaysia is a lot more cheaper than buying one in UK - so it comes down to money saving for me.

That's my dilemma I guess, I only have until mid Sept in malaysia to decide on buying a MBP then or wait in UK for the new update (since I study at a university in UK)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    zoul-kzoul-k Posts: 3member
    btw, this is my first transition from a pc to a macbook. so it adds to the pressure :P
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Not that this isn't obvious to most here, but it's quite clear to me that the next revision of the MacBook Pro will not have an optical drive. I would almost guarantee it. I just took delivery of a 17" MacBook Pro (purchased through my work) & it came with Lion pre-installed. There were no installer DVDs for the OS or iLife Apps. In fact, it can probably boot off of the Internet just like the newly released MacBook Airs.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:

Hi,

The current sandy bridge models are definitely quite fast. I have a 2.66 8 core Nehalem Mac Pro and I still find myself doing most of my development on my 2.2 15" sandy bridge mbp.

If you need it before spring next year, jump on it, you will be satisfied.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Not that this isn't obvious to most here, but it's quite clear to me that the next revision of the MacBook Pro will not have an optical drive. I would almost guarantee it. I just took delivery of a 17" MacBook Pro (purchased through my work) & it came with Lion pre-installed. There were no installer DVDs for the OS or iLife Apps. In fact, it can probably boot off of the Internet just like the newly released MacBook Airs.

I agree, though I do hope they at least offer the option for portability. There are still people out there that trade data via DVDs.

I'm about to take my optical drive out of my mbp and replace it with a 2nd hard drive.