Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

As the Lion purchase will be the first OS download from the App Store, based in the probable size of the download (measured in Gb) and the number of potential downloads, I sure hope there's sufficient server capacity to handle this 'event'. Me, I think I'll wait a few days until the initial demand dies down.

You won't be downloading from Apple's servers. Apple, like many other services, uses content delivery networks from 3rd parties (Akamai is one, but Apple also uses others). As long as the nearest cache has the Lion installer, I doubt most users will see anything less than full usage of their available bandwidth.
  • Reply 82 of 105
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's a... man on the... wing of the... plane!

Wow, an esoteric Twilight Zone joke.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89

Or you could not edit anything and just use the open command.

code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.

Or you could obey His Jobsness, and leave the damn library alone?

Thanks for your tip. I have to say that making the library hidden by default in Lion is very dumb, and if they wanted to do this they should have put a simple flickable switch in finder to show it, and show it by default, to those who want that. I hope that a dot upgrade will introduce that option.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
  • Reply 85 of 105
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Thanks for your tip. I have to say that making the library hidden by default in Lion is very dumb, and if they wanted to do this they should have put a simple flickable switch in finder to show it, and show it by default, to those who want that. I hope that a dot upgrade will introduce that option.

It's hidden so only hipsters will know about the Lion Library. (Sorry, working now so can only post silly memes)

• Reply 86 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Okay, serious question now: I had heard something about being able to make a bootable installer on an SD card instead of a DVD - does anyone know if that's really possible and how it would be done?

I read i write-up on installing it on a USB thumbdrive within the last two weeks... I would imagine it would work the same for an SD card.

it was either on tuaw.com or engadget ... you'll have to look back through the archives, I'm not gonna be your google!
  • Reply 87 of 105
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

So will Mountain Lion come out in 2013 or 2014?

I wouldn't bet on it. My gut feeling is that Lion is the end of the line WRT OS X releases. It's quite likely that Apple has been working on its next-gen OS in a skunk works somewhere, an OS that will supersede OS X, and might provide a common code base for all Apple devices (Macs, iDevices, ATV, 747 guidance systems, etc.). This will come out of nowhere in 24-30 months from now and will, I predict, be the final blow to Windows (which will be doing a beta test of Win 9, code-named Shorthorn or Cornet).
  • Reply 88 of 105
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1902367]Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

Will the online Australian Apple store have the revised MacBook Airs available for purchase as soon as they are released for sale in America?
  • Reply 89 of 105
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

My gut feeling is that Lion is the end of the line WRT OS X releases. It's quite likely that Apple has been working on its next-gen OS in a skunk works somewhere, an OS that will supersede OS X, and might provide a common code base for all Apple devices (Macs, iDevices, ATV, 747 guidance systems, etc.). This will come out of nowhere in 24-30 months from now and will, I predict, be the final blow to Windows (which will be doing a beta test of Win 9, code-named Shorthorn or Cornet).

Interesting. I don't know about that yet. I think Apple needs to get resolution independence working reliably & on a more major scale. And further I think we need to be able to start talking to computers & have them respond to us much like the Knowledge Navigator concept. Then OS X is dead. Or more likely, phased out.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Gone. Finito. Kaputsky.

Buy an Apple TV.

That's really too bad. Some of us have better than an Apple TV: a Mac Mini, and Front Row is a great tool. Programs like Boxee and Plex are still bug-ridden.

I've also impressed many Windows-using friends by hooking my MacBook up to their TV and launching Front Row to quickly bring up movie trailers and other content.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    dcorbandcorban Posts: 58member
    While Plex can sometimes have a few quirks, it is lightyears beyond Front Row for usability. Once you get Plex installed and arrange your library of videos, it needs no maintenance and works great.

I'm not even talking about any sort of configuration or tinkering. It's literally: install plex, enable harmony remote, point bittorrent/sabnzb+ to the plex media folder, then sit back and watch your shows.

Hell, Front Row can't even output audio via airtunes anymore. Useless.

I can't believe you even put Boxee in the same sentence as Plex. Boxee is not even worth the effort to google.
  • Reply 92 of 105
    odmacodmac Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurferPup View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

Will the online Australian Apple store have the revised MacBook Airs available for purchase as soon as they are released for sale in America?

I don't know for sure. However we MIGHT get them posted on the website the same time Americans do because if you look at Apple Press Info on both the American site and the Australian site for past releases of an ipad 2 they both post the news on the same day.

Keep in mind America is a day behind Australia.

So if Mac OS X 10.7 Lion comes out along with the MacBook Airs on Wednesday the 20th in America it comes out on Thursday the 21st for us...Anyway you get what I mean, so hope this helped...peace!!
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by odmac View Post

I don't know for sure. However we MIGHT get them posted on the website the same time Americans do because if you look at Apple Press Info on both the American site and the Australian site for past releases of an ipad 2 they both post the news on the same day.

Keep in mind America is a day behind Australia.

So if Mac OS X 10.7 Lion comes out along with the MacBook Airs on Wednesday the 20th in America it comes out on Thursday the 21st for us...Anyway you get what I mean, so hope this helped...peace!!

Thanks!
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

How does it run in comparison to Snow Leopard? I have a Mini - the last of the white-top models (2.53 ghz, 4 gigs of ram) and I'm dying to get Lion, but I'm worried about how it will run Aperture 3, which is a resources hog and can be frustratingly slow on my Mini, even with 4 gigs of ram.

I think it runs similar as Snow Leopard, did not notice any clear differences. As for Aperture, I don't think the OS will make any difference. I think it is in the 'nature' of Aperture to use a lot of recources, not only ram but also a lot of CPU power for rendering all the images...
  • Reply 95 of 105
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I wouldn't bet on it. My gut feeling is that Lion is the end of the line WRT OS X releases. It's quite likely that Apple has been working on its next-gen OS in a skunk works somewhere, an OS that will supersede OS X, and might provide a common code base for all Apple devices (Macs, iDevices, ATV, 747 guidance systems, etc.). This will come out of nowhere in 24-30 months from now and will, I predict, be the final blow to Windows (which will be doing a beta test of Win 9, code-named Shorthorn or Cornet).

I'm with you in thinking that Lion may very well be the final OS X release. However, I seriously doubt the idea that OS 11 is going to kill Windows. Apple would have to radically change their business model and release OS 11 to run on commodity PCs. Furthermore it would also require OS 11 to natively handle all of the MS proprietary code such as Visual Basic, DirectX, etc. There is WAY too much software on the market for Windows to simply go away.

Now, if Apple were to license other hardware vendors to sell OS 11 compatible systems... Especially if it were some of the big players like Dell, then I would expect to see Apple take a HUGE bite out of MS core business but even this is not some kind of death knell for MS. Software developers are going to have to start writing more of their apps to run natively on OS 11 (or whatever) before MS has to start seriously worrying about their future.

All that said, I can't say I would be disappointed to see MS taken down a peg or three. Competition however would be really good for the consumer and probably drive both MS and Apple to even more innovation resulting in better products down the line.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Apple would have to radically change their business model and release OS 11 to run on commodity PCs. Furthermore it would also require OS 11 to natively handle all of the MS proprietary code such as Visual Basic, DirectX, etc.

Where the heck is THIS coming from?! No one said ANYTHING about Apple making Windows software run on their machines. That's abject nonsense.

Quote:

Now, if Apple were to license other hardware vendors to sell OS 11 compatible systems...

Then it would be 1994 again. Meaning this will never happen.

You're very, very confused. The only death of Windows will come when developers move from it to Apple systems. NOWHERE is ANYONE saying that Apple will make Windows code work on their machines, nor is ANYONE saying that Apple will license their software to anyone else.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Where the heck is THIS coming from?! No one said ANYTHING about Apple making Windows software run on their machines. That's abject nonsense.

Then it would be 1994 again. Meaning this will never happen.

You're very, very confused. The only death of Windows will come when developers move from it to Apple systems. NOWHERE is ANYONE saying that Apple will make Windows code work on their machines, nor is ANYONE saying that Apple will license their software to anyone else.

I'm simply saying that it is going to take EITHER the ability to natively run Windows software on Mac OS, OR the massive movement of Windows developers to the Mac platform. Additionally, even if there was massive migration of development to the Mac platform a point will be reached where a single hardware manufacturer simply cannot provide enough systems to meet the demand. That would require some kind of licensing to run on other hardware or something like Apple buying Dell and turning them into a Mac manufacturer.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Additionally, even if there was massive migration of development to the Mac platform a point will be reached where a single hardware manufacturer simply cannot provide enough systems to meet the demand.

You'd be surprised.
  • Reply 99 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I'm simply saying that it is going to take EITHER the ability to natively run Windows software on Mac OS, OR the massive movement of Windows developers to the Mac platform. Additionally, even if there was massive migration of development to the Mac platform a point will be reached where a single hardware manufacturer simply cannot provide enough systems to meet the demand. That would require some kind of licensing to run on other hardware or something like Apple buying Dell and turning them into a Mac manufacturer.

Two points, and a bonus point:

1) People aren't going to abandon windows anytime soon. It is exceedingly entrenched in enterprise. Apple knows this and that's why Apple have moved very tepidly into the enterprise space. Enterprise have a huge investment in Windows and aren't going to abandon it anytime soon. That's just the way the world is.

2) Apple don't need enterprise sales to be a profitable company. Consumers are more open minded when it comes to the platform the choose for computing and a sizable portion are willing to pay a premium for the Apple brand.

3) Dell and Aple aren't 'manufacturers' of computers per se. That's done by the Chinese, ie Foxcon and that lot. Buying Dell wouldn't increase Apple's ability to manufacture anything.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

People aren't going to abandon windows anytime soon. It is exceedingly entrenched in enterprise. Apple knows this and that's why Apple have moved very tepidly into the enterprise space. Enterprise have a huge investment in Windows and aren't going to abandon it anytime soon. That's just the way the world is.

I agree that Windows won't lose its unit share dominance, but MS and Windows-based vendors do need to worry about the move to OS-agnostic computing in the Enterprise. Web browsers are the most used app and that usage is ever increasing. If Apple puts out a cheaper Mac or Chrome OS gets a foothold Windows could easily be hamstrung, regulated to the middle tier of sales, and potentially make less profit YoY for MS which would negatively affect shareholders.