Google's Schmidt: Apple responding to Android with lawsuits, not innovation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 228
    Apple, the new Monsanto
  • Reply 42 of 228
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    This is just funny. I don't even know what to say.
  • Reply 43 of 228
    Ooooo he got upset because Apple is not innovating? Aha got it because when Apple does not innovate it means Google does not "innovate", since google is just copying iOS and your partners like HTC, Samsung are copying the hardware design. Yes Schmidt you are right it is so sad that based on your informations Apple is not innovating anymore or maybe you don't have access to their new innovation as an INSIDER just like 3 4 years ago that you were on board at Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 228
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I honestly think that Eric Schmidt's days at Google are numbered. \

Now, to the earnings call.

All the best.
  • Reply 45 of 228
    Google: -1
  • Reply 46 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Apple, the new Monsanto

It didn't work in the other thread and it's not going to fly here either...
  • Reply 47 of 228
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apparently not:

5 things Apple borrowed from Android for iOS 5

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...S-5/1307414477

Cloud Synchronization? Over-the-air updates? Photo sharing? Twitter? Wpw! I bet Apple never thought of all of these before. Thank you Google for shining your light. How can Apple create anything without your guidance.
  • Reply 48 of 228
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"responding with lawsuits" rather than innovating."

Hmm. So Apple should just continue to innovate and let other steal their IP willy nilly? Is that what Google does?

Maybe Google should grow up, stop stealing the IP of others and stop bidding on patents with Pi.
  • Reply 49 of 228
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Is Eric T. Mole flapping his gums again?

What is it *this time*, Eric? It's not enough you ripped off Apple something serious, but you then have to point an accusatory finger at them.

Apple is the one that has been doing all the "innovating" in the first place.

Android would probably look like BlackBerry OS (just look at the original screenshots) if iOS hadn't been released. But Eric was taking notes at those board meetings.

First came the iPhone. Then, out of nowhere, everything else looked like an iPhone. Everyone else introduced an App Store modelled on the REAL App Store.

Apple releases the iPad. Then every other tablet out there (they also-rans suddenly got back into the game) started looking like an iPad. Well, alright, they *tried* to look like an iPad.

No wonder Steve was monumentally pissed at Eric.

Apple has been getting ripped off since 2007. They are now responding because there is too much out there that violates their IP. The infringements have reached critical mass. Apple is now looking to clean up the game. This is normal.
  • Reply 50 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Apparently not:

That's absurd. None of those were Google innovations. They're all quite obvious - and many of them had already been in use with Macs for years.

Not to mention, of course, that there's a difference between using features which are fairly standard in the industry and making blatant nearly bit-for-bit copies of someone else's products.
  • Reply 51 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thec View Post

Over 200 million ipods, practically invented the smart phone, ipads off the chart .......he needs to look in the mirror........

I hate to break it to you but Nokia invented the smartphone. Nokias could do just as much as iphones can before iphones even existed, albeit minus the huge app-mine and modern processor speeds. In fact, if you can put up with a quirky, but mostly stable OS, then a Nokia phone is far more versatile and sophisticated than an iphone. Don't get me wrong, I love apple products and would only EVER buy apple computers, but when it comes to phones I stick to nokia. And avoid android, haha...
  • Reply 52 of 228
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member
    Here and elsewhere, Google has been criticized for not defending their Android licensees. Now they are finally speaking up and vowing to defend their allies, as they should. Yet, Schmidt is not only being criticized but is in fact trashed for it. I wonder why some of you need to attack someone you don't know in such a denigrating manner. What is the source of your venom? I love my Apple products; however, I just don't feel the need to spit on the competition of Apple. Is there something wrong with me? Or perhaps some of you need to put on a new pair of glasses to properly see the world? Relax! Chill! Enjoy what you have and let others make their own choices!
  • Reply 53 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

They will say Apple want to destroy Android.. Apple's scared of Android.. blah blab. And they call us fanboys.

I don't imagine Apple is "scared" of Android at all. I do think they were taken by surprise at how quickly it's grabbed hold of market share, but Apple still has the better overall product.

IMHO, I think Apple is simply trying to slow Android by whatever means necessary. I have no doubt they recognize there's no way for them to keep up with hardware innovations when new phones from multiple suppliers are cropping up seemingly every few days. To try and level the playing field they HAVE turned to the courts aggressively the past few months. I doubt any regulars here would deny that. And they've particularly targeted the most serious competitors.

Sammy's in the crosshairs because of their very well received and well-built S2 smartphones and for having the audacity to create a tablet thinner than the iPad. Thinness has been an Apple hallmark, and I think Mr Jobs may have taken it personally when Samsung made it a point to out-do Apple on that particular feature.

HTC got Apple's attention with well designed, high quality, hi-end smartphones that actually do compete favorably with the iPhone (ie, Thunderbolt and Sensation). The cheap Android phones that some of the others produce are of no concern to Apple right now IMO.
  • Reply 54 of 228
    Remember Fandroids. Android used to look like this BEFORE Google COPIED the iPhone.

• Reply 55 of 228
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparrownotasail View Post

I hate to break it to you but Nokia invented the smartphone. Nokias could do just as much as iphones can before iphones even existed, albeit minus the huge app-mine and modern processor speeds. In fact, if you can put up with a quirky, but mostly stable OS, then a Nokia phone is far more versatile and sophisticated than an iphone. Don't get me wrong, I love apple products and would only EVER buy apple computers, but when it comes to phones I stick to nokia. And avoid android, haha...

Because this sexy beast looks a lot better than the first iPhone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N95

• Reply 56 of 228
    macm37macm37 Posts: 41member
    If he and Google decides to defend HTC & other Android vendors, they will be really biting themselves in the a$5. Purposely sending in Eric Schmidt to become a Apple board member at the time when Apple is preparing the 1st iPhone, having him call Google and their possible vendors after each meeting telling them what they can do and what materials they need so that the Nexus One looks and behaves like the 1st and then current iPhone so that it's a great alternative choice IS what Apple and all of us call stealing. Yeah, piss off Apple some more to show you and others what and how much great other innovations can come from them, so you can copy some more. I wouldn't be so surprised to see, read, and hear if people called Google the next coming of Microsoft, and these same people started speculating if Eric Schmidt and Bill Gates are somehow related.
  • Reply 57 of 228
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Here and elsewhere, Google has been criticized for not defending their Android licensees. Now they are finally speaking up and vowing to defend their allies, as they should. Yet, Schmidt is not only being criticized but is in fact trashed for it. I wonder why some of you need to attack someone you don't know in such a denigrating manner. What is the source of your venom? I love my Apple products; however, I just don't feel the need to spit on the competition of Apple. Is there something wrong with me? Or perhaps some of you need to put on a new pair of glasses to properly see the world? Relax! Chill! Enjoy what you have and let others make their own choices!

No one in this thread attacked him personal, only his moronic statement and his despicable behavior as a member of the board of directors at Apple.

His statement is ludicrous, what innovations have HTC or Samsung brought to the mobile industry in the past few years? Should Apple just continue to allow others to profit off their work? We are not talking about crushing bright innovative competition, we are talking about slowing massive multi-national copy machines.
  • Reply 58 of 228
    Why would anyone innovate if they're just going to be shamelessly copied by scum companies like Google/HTC/Samsung/Motorola?

You don't get to give away something you DON'T OWN GOOGLE! time to pay up!
  • Reply 59 of 228
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ParkerEng View Post

Sure, they try to put their own twist to it, but using someone else's patented technology and adding to it is still stealing.

Actually depending on your twist and additions, using someone else's tech as a starting point isn't legally 'stealing'. It's actually allowed in patent law. It's still a douche move to try to claim you didn't use someone else's idea but it's not always illegal.

That said, Schmidt's comments about 'legal fun' are not cute in my book and I agree that he needs to just admit that while Android was perhaps under construction when Apple released the first iphone, no one else was willing to whip it out and take such a huge risk in releasing that kind of product and since then even Android has been doing the same "doing it better than what is out there" that Apple does. Making them no more or less innovative than Jobs and friends.

Quote:

Apparently not:

3 of those 5 things are simply natural progression of the tech. Apple would have gotten to them at some point even if Android didn't exist so that's hardly 'borrowing'. And in truth, one could probably put the whole Twitter thing in there as well. Apple has been including Facebook and Flickr in their tech for a while, adding in Twitter due to its massive popularity just makes sense.
  • Reply 60 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Wow, Eric Schmidt doesn't know what innovation means? He must be an idiot. If I knew it was that easy to be a successful CEO in Silicon Valley I'd have gone there and done it myself.

What's that? He's not an idiot? He graduated from Princeton AND UC Berkeley? Why then...He must be wilfully spreading lies. I guess that makes this...

FUD.

If I'm not mistaken the average college GPA for a CEO is something like 2.8 or 2.6. So academically speaking they are neither the hardest working nor the most intelligent people. You can graduate from Berkley with a C allot easier than you could graduate with all A's at just about any school. I don't think SJ graduated from college and we all know Gates didn't either. CEO... toughest job to get, but the easiest job to perform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So what is it he did behind Apple's back? Serious question.

Obviously none of us really know the details, but as I recall months after Schmidt was dismissed from the Apple board for a conflict of interest Android came out. It doesn't take much to put two and two together.

Google was working on a Black Berry like phone OS. Schmidt got to check out iOS (as a board member) and realized Google was heading in the wrong direction. "poof" the market magically gets a "free" OS that resembles iOS in many ways.

He abused his privileges as an Apple board member and used them to conduct "corporate espionage" IMO.