Netflix Streaming Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I will start by saying I am writing this on a MacBook Pro, Core2Duo 2.4 GHz with 6 GBs of memory. Now, why does my Netflix streaming lag? I am guessing Silverlight has a big part to do with it but I have not read anywhere about others having issues with their Macs. I can stream just fine with my iPhone or PS3 but just not on my Mac. I have tried quitting all apps except for Safari and I have tried upgrading to beta 5 and still no such luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    blueeddieblueeddie Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So I will start by saying I am writing this on a MacBook Pro, Core2Duo 2.4 GHz with 6 GBs of memory. Now, why does my Netflix streaming lag? I am guessing Silverlight has a big part to do with it but I have not read anywhere about others having issues with their Macs. I can stream just fine with my iPhone or PS3 but just not on my Mac. I have tried quitting all apps except for Safari and I have tried upgrading to beta 5 and still no such luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

have you tried watching it with another browser? also try going into safari's preferences>security>show cookies>remove all. sometimes the cookies cause problems
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

So I will start by saying I am writing this on a MacBook Pro, Core2Duo 2.4 GHz with 6 GBs of memory. Now, why does my Netflix streaming lag?

Because your computer specs have nothing to do with whether streaming lags. Your Internet connection does.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because your computer specs have nothing to do with whether streaming lags. Your Internet connection does.

Well I know when I only had 2 GBs of memory Safari ran pretty dog slow. Also my computer cannot handle playback of HD video without it skipping. I guess this would be more on the video card though?

blueeddie I've tried resetting Safari so clearing pretty much everything out and no luck. I have also tried Chrome and FireFox with the same results. A bit annoying.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Also my computer cannot handle playback of HD video without it skipping.

That computer probably has an 8600M GT video card... it can handle 1080p video just fine ...

There's got to be something else going on in your computer... it's not the specs that are holding it back.

Are you trying to watch video while other apps are running at the same time?... perhaps those other programs are needing too much of your processing power to allow your video to play smoothly?

What else is running? What application are you using to watch the video? What version of OSX are you running?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    is it a WiFi connection or hardwire?

My daughter's Wii lags every so often and it is on the edge of my WiFi range.

Maybe direct connect it to the router or try it as close to the WiFi source as possible.
  • Reply 6 of 7

I have a 2010 Mac Mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM

Let me just say I have Windows installed on this Mac as well and it runs fine on any browser. But on the Mac side it is laggy (jumpy.. as if the frames are mixed up and reverting to the previous frame every other frame) and the streaming isn't as fast so the quality is worse as well. It will not stream HD on my Mac (I do have a less than average internet connection) but on Windows it's fine. Same machine! So it's not the hardware it's a software problem. I'm guessing it's just because SilverLight is optimized for Windows OS and not Mac. But if anyone has a solution let us know!

• Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmacsa View Post

I'm guessing it's just because SilverLight is optimized for Windows OS and not Mac. But if anyone has a solution let us know!

Decent guess, likely true. If you are on Mountain Lion I have noticed that often Safari gets a bit crazy with the RAM usage, especially when there are lots of tabs open or something like streaming. It could be that that is playing into the game as well.