Apple profits surge 125% on record sales of 20.34M iPhones, 9.25M iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Share your wealth.... do some good, Monsanto.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Seems that whatever Apple had to pay Nokia hasn't even touched their bottom line, in fact given the increase in margins they probably have ended up paying less than they had previously been reserving against Nokia's royalties.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Wow! AAPL up to $505,545,728.

Full size.

• Reply 24 of 91
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

The difference? Google earns ZERO from Android. ZERO.

Plus Android is an OS not a phone that anyone can use. Not an apples to apples comparison at all
  • Reply 25 of 91
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I believe the technical term for the amount of money Apple have made is "a shit load"!

In an age when companies boost profit by making things cheaper and cheaper and crapper and crapper it's great that there is still a company doing better than all of them by sticking by quality.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Just give it another couple of quarters......
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I believe the technical term for the amount of money Apple have made is "a shit load"!

In an age when companies boost profit by making things cheaper and cheaper and crapper and crapper that there is still a company doing better than all of them by sticking by quality.

Well put.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Plus Android is an OS not a phone that anyone can use. Not an apples to apples comparison at all

Ah, yes, Google does this solely to make the world a better place. Thanks for reminding us.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Well, looks like the tablet Market IS a myth. There is just an iPad Market.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'm proud to have contributed my part to their quarterly sales figures. Too bad I don't own several thousand shares I could cash in for a nice summer bonus...
  • Reply 31 of 91
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This isn't too bad for a company that not long ago all the whining iHating crowd screamed:

The iPhone4 is defective. Android does so much more and is "open"

The iPad is just an big iPod touch

No would would buy a shiny, pretty, iJobs Mac when I can build a PC for 1/3 the price.

=============

The iHaters are conveniently quiet. They're huddled in the little troll holes.

It is a GREAT day to be an AAPL owner!! WooHoo!!
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Yes, but it may go down a few points tomorrow.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

The company said it sold 9.25 million iPads during the quarter, nearly triple the amount it sold a year earlier.

IPhone sales more than doubled to 20.34 million.

BOOM!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

What is a "diluted share"? Is it an accounting trick?

Quote:

Apple sold 20.34 million iPhones, representing 142 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter;

9.25 million iPads, a 183 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter;

3.95 million Macs, a 14 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter;

UNBELIEVABLE!

wow how high is high

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Lets see....

20,340,000 iPhones.

~13 weeks per quarter.

1,564,615 iPhones per week.

Throw on another...

9,250,000 iPads

at 711,538 per week.

That is more than 2 million iOS devices getting activated per week excluding the iPod.

(What was the Android number? 500,000?)

apple has 5 devices to choose from

android has 50 devices to choose from

ios rocks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Android was 500,000 per day (or 3,500,000 per week).

• Reply 34 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I forget, which Android-based phones are selling more than 20M a quarter?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Android was 500,000 per day (or 3,500,000 per week).

That was for 'a' day. We don't have any comments from Google about that 500k number being sustained for an entire quarter or averaging 500k per day for a quarter. Take Apple's numbers for the iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. We take the number of actual sales for the quarter and then divide by 90 to get an average.

PS: Apple's average was 370,000 iOS-based activations per day for the quarter. Not bad for a single company.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was for 'a' day. We don't have any comments from Google about that 500k number being sustained for an entire quarter or averaging 500k per day for a quarter. Take Apple's numbers for the iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. We take the number of actual sales for the quarter and then divide by 90 to get an average.

Actually I think we do, that seems to be a moving average not a spike - both from the way that the the number was reported in the orginal tweet and from the 100mil and 130mil reports being around 60 days.

We don't maybe know exactly what an activation is of course.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Is it possible Apple is spoiling us every quarter? Today literally is "Christmas in July". I'm still going long on my AAPL, and am very grateful that considering the atmosphere of such depressing financial news from everywhere else in the past few years, it's nice that a company like Apple can prove to everyone that if you make good stuff that everyone wants, and have a team in place to keep the ship running on course, the horizon's the limit!

Congratulations to Apple for doing a fantastic job. I'm sure there are a lot of happy, vested Apple employees too!

I think Apple should place a large statue of Steve Job's hand directing his middle-finger straight at Google!
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Actually I think we do, that seems to be a moving average not a spike - both from the way that the the number was reported in the orginal tweet and from the 100mil and 130mil reports being around 60 days.

We don't maybe know exactly what an activation is of course.

We don't. All we know is that they've reported higher and higher activations every few months. Do you really think they are taking an average for the past 90s to state that total? I don't, nor would I do that. I would wait for some milestone quantity, like 550k, to hit and then publicly state it. It doesn't matter if it dropped to 540k, 530k, or 350k the next day. They are stating milestones, while Apple is reporting total numbers which we must average.

edit: Or you can look at from the other end. If Apple averaged 370k per day, every day, going back 90 days is it not possible iOS activations could have a day, say in June, that there were 500k on a particular day.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Tuesday that third-quarter profits rose nearly 125% percent to $7.31 billion, or $7.79 per diluted share, on record quarterly sales of $28.57 billion for the three-month period ended June 25, 2011.

?We are extremely pleased with our performance which drove quarterly cash flow from operations of $11.1 billion, an increase of 131 percent year-over-year,? said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. ?Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011, we expect revenue of about $25 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $5.50.?

Is it just me or is Apple being extremely pessimistic with their forward guidance? I mean, dropping from earnings of $7.79 per share to $5.50 when heading into the holiday quarter is mind bogglingly low, right? I know they like to surprise up, but this is crazy... (or am I missing something?)
  • Reply 39 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I forget, which Android-based phones are selling more than 20M a quarter?

Actually, to be more clear, those numbers only cite the iPhone and iPad sales this quarter plus the iPod lineup. They have yet to break out the iPod Touch numbers. Let's just say they sold over 3 million iPod Touch devices, then the combined total iOS devices sold, over the last 90 days puts them over 32 million devices [32,59 million].

That's 362,111 iOS Devices sold, per day. If it's 4 million iPod Touch devices, the per day sale of iOS devices becomes: 373,222.

Of course this isn't including sales of the new AppleTV [we'll assume they aren't pushing out more than 250k per quarter]

That is just 3 devices compared to the tenfold and more Android devices being sold you rightly pointed out in another comment.

When Apple breaks into China the iPhone sales increase will push the quarterly sales for iOS phones alone near 30 million units. Add in the iPad and the quarterly sales without the iPod Touch will be pushing towards 40+ million a quarter.

Will Google continue to rave about 500k Android devices per day?

Seriously, when iOS Devices start selling more per day than Android and it's nearly 15 times the number of Android devices available will Analysts start looking at Google and realize they cannot compete against the Apple Ecosystem with every successive device Apple introduces to the world?

Will they begin to ask Google, ``What new device in computing are you introducing to the world?''

No. They won't because Google doesn't create new markets. They wait for a market to be created by others and then they leverage it with their Search backend.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is it just me or is Apple being extremely pessimistic with their forward guidance? I mean, dropping from earnings of $7.79 per share to $5.50 when heading into the holiday quarter is mind bogglingly low, right? I know they like to surprise up, but this is crazy... (or am I missing something?)

The next quarter is the current quarter: fiscal Q4-2011 and calendar Q3-2011. We'll know in 3 months what their guidance is for the Holiday quarter… unless I'm missing something.