Apple confirms Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to launch on Wednesday

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple announced during its quarterly earnings call that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next-generation operating system, will launch on the Mac App Store on Wednesday.

The announcement from Apple Chief Operating Officer Peter Oppenheimer confirms an exclusive report from AppleInsider on Monday. Also rumored to launch is a refresh to the thin-and-light MacBook Air notebook, powered by Lion.

Update: Accordingly, Apple on Tuesday released Migration Assistant Update, allowing users to prepare their Mac for the update to Lion through the Mac App Store. It is a 312kb download available via Software Update or direct from Apple.

"This update addresses an issue with the Migration Assistant application in Mac OS X Snow Leopard that prevents transfer of your personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion," the official description reads.

Apple has been holding off on the introduction of new Mac hardware until it finally releases Lion. Apple had not previously not offered a specific launch date for the operating system, only promising that it will become available on the Mac App Store for $29.99 at some point in July.

Signs of an impending launch continued appear as the week went on, with Lion said to have arrived at Apple retail stores on hard disks this week for installation on demo machines, and photos of promotional materials at third-party stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    OK I'm ready.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    It will be Wednesday in London in about 3 hours...
  • Reply 3 of 111
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

lol, nice try, but "Wednesday" probably means 10:00 AM PST, since the world knows that time runs on Apple's watch!
  • Reply 4 of 111
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    OK, here's what I'm going to do.

Convince myself that I'm going to wait a few weeks until the .1 update comes out to work out the bugs a few weeks after launch, then about eight hours after I've convinced myself of that, I'll buy it and have no problems like always.

It'll be interesting to see how Apple handle the demand for downloads tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Less than two actually - British Summer Time is in effect..

But unfortunately I'm very afraid they're going to make it something like 8:30 AM ET globally. Which is annoying, as I'll be at wok from 11AM till 6PM BST, which that falls into.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple had not previously not offered a specific launch date for the operating system,

Remove 2nd Not
  • Reply 7 of 111
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Had a look at the Lion features list and I'm struggling to find one that is making me want to upgrade.

What features do you guys think are worth paying to get?
  • Reply 8 of 111
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Yes, my minions. Report all the bugs so 10.7.1 will be ready for me
  • Reply 9 of 111
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Had a look at the Lion features list and I'm struggling to find one that is making me want to upgrade.

Given it's only $30, I'll pick auto-save of documents.

There's a lot of nice stuff to have, especially considering it's only thirty freaking dollars!
  • Reply 10 of 111
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Ummm, the upgrade price, alone.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will the "resume" feature work after shutting down the Mac and turning it back on, or does it only apply to restarts?

If scrollbars are hidden and you scroll to make them appear, can you then drag the scrollbar? Shouldn't you also be able to drag scrollbars on iPhones and iPads? That would make it easier to scroll through long documents or web pages on iOS devices.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    mikepromikepro Posts: 21member
    Stop with all of the tooting your own "as reported exclusively by Apple Insider on..."

1. It wasn't exclusive. It was one like a dozen different sites.

2. No one cares. We're already here reading your site, no need to toot your own horn to us.

3. It makes the writing less appealing, and more juvenile sounding. By a lot.

Seriously, please stop!
  • Reply 13 of 111
    apple15apple15 Posts: 3member
    "The announcement from Apple Chief Operating Officer Peter Oppenheimer confirms an exclusive report from AppleInsider on Monday. Also rumored to launch is a refresh to the thin-and-light MacBook Air notebook, powered by Lion."

Isn't Peter Oppenheimer Apple's CFO? I thought Tim Cook was the COO...
  • Reply 14 of 111
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

The overall speed increase

New gestures

Updated mail, contacts, calendar apps

Resume

Versions

But mostly the speed.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Quote:

I believe FaceTime is now included, which saves you $1. It may not seem like much, but it would only take 30 features to make up the cost and Apple said there's 250!

I'd throw in Auto Save and Versions and AirDrop. The addition of Yahoo! messenger is nice. I think some of the changes to Mail will actually make it more productive - at least worth a dollar or two.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Quote:

First of all it's only $30 (and that's for the entire family of Macs you may have)! (How many major operating system upgrades/updates are priced that affordably?) Secondly it's packed with a ton of great upgrades (mail, calendar, address book, etc.) and goodies. But, to me, this is worth the $30 alone...

"Apps developed with Auto Save can automatically save changes to your document as you work, freeing you from manual saving and from the worry that you?ll lose your valuable work if the app quits. And because Auto Save saves all changes in the background, you can work without the distraction of pauses or progress bars."

At first, I wasn't overly excited with the update, but the more I looked at the demos and read the descriptions, the more I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Stop with all of the tooting your own "as reported exclusively by Apple Insider on..."

1. It wasn't exclusive. It was one like a dozen different sites.

2. No one cares. We're already here reading your site, no need to toot your own horn to us.

3. It makes the writing less appealing, and more juvenile sounding. By a lot.

Seriously, please stop!

Yes it was exclusive. No other site had it except for those that reported Appleinsiders now proven claim.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

A better Safari 5? Lion's version uses WebKit 2 and also has a bunch of snazzy new user interface improvements like elastic scrolling and peek-able forward/back gestures.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Just checked for updates, guess what, Migration Assistant Update for Snow Leopard!
  • Reply 20 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Less than two actually - British Summer Time is in effect..

But unfortunately I'm very afraid they're going to make it something like 8:30 AM ET globally. Which is annoying, as I'll be at wok from 11AM till 6PM BST, which that falls into.

I'm actually fine with that; It'll give people time to discover how to properly download it to one Mac, then run the installer on their other Macs without having to redownload it.