Apple confirms Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to launch on Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will the "resume" feature work after shutting down the Mac and turning it back on, or does it only apply to restarts?

If scrollbars are hidden and you scroll to make them appear, can you then drag the scrollbar? Shouldn't you also be able to drag scrollbars on iPhones and iPads? That would make it easier to scroll through long documents or web pages on iOS devices.

It applies to both. "Resume" basically keeps everything right where you left it.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    odmacodmac Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced during its quarterly earnings call that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next-generation operating system, will launch on the Mac App Store on Wednesday.

The announcement from Apple Chief Operating Officer Peter Oppenheimer confirms an exclusive report from AppleInsider on Monday. Also rumored to launch is a refresh to the thin-and-light MacBook Air notebook, powered by Lion.

Apple has been holding off on the introduction of new Mac hardware until it finally releases Lion. Apple had not previously not offered a specific launch date for the operating system, only promising that it will become available on the Mac App Store for $29.99 at some point in July.

Signs of an impending launch continued appear as the week went on, with Lion said to have arrived at Apple retail stores on hard disks this week for installation on demo machines, and photos of promotional materials at third-party stores.

Can't wait!

Even though I don't have a Mac yet(which I will be getting one when it comes out), Mac OS X 10.7 Lion looks like my favorite operating system, compared to Windows 7 Ultimate.

There are features in Lion that I would love. Those are; the improved multi-touch gestures, "Resume", "Auto Save and Versions" and some cool features that come with a Mac.

So its going to be cool transferring to a Mac with a new OS to learn.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Had a look at the Lion features list and I'm struggling to find one that is making me want to upgrade.

What features do you guys think are worth paying to get?

Mostly excited for the server tools (extra $49), including publishing webDAV folders to connect iOS devices to.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Given it's only $30, I'll pick auto-save of documents.

There's a lot of nice stuff to have, especially considering it's only thirty freaking dollars!

That and resume are the two worst features and there is apparently no way to turn them off, very aggravating and annoying for people who like to save their own documents as needed and don"t want every application to launch when turning on the machine, just awful ideas in my opinion.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That and resume are the two worst features and there is apparently no way to turn them off, very aggravating and annoying for people who like to save their own documents as needed and don"t want every application to launch when turning on the machine, just awful ideas in my opinion.

Using the car analogy, those features would be like rain sensing wipers. Um, I think I can sense the rain and turn on the wipers myself.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The overall speed increase

New gestures

Updated mail, contacts, calendar apps

Resume

Versions

But mostly the speed.

64-bit. iCloud. And the combination of Versions and iCloud and Autosave mean, from a practical standpoint, a new file system.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Using the car analogy, those features would be like rain sensing wipers. Um, I think I can sense the rain and turn on the wipers myself.

Not worth it to you, never to have to press Cmd-S again? It is to me.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Stop with all of the tooting your own "as reported exclusively by Apple Insider on..."

1. It wasn't exclusive. It was one like a dozen different sites.

2. No one cares. We're already here reading your site, no need to toot your own horn to us.

3. It makes the writing less appealing, and more juvenile sounding. By a lot.

Seriously, please stop!

I have to agree with this. It's downright silly.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Might be worth is if there was an option to turn it off,
  • Reply 30 of 111
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

lol, nice try, but "Wednesday" probably means 10:00 AM PST, since the world knows that time runs on Apple's watch!

Heh-heh.

You mean that Apple will claim that the Prime Meridian runs through Cupertino, making the new standard "Apple Mean Time?"
  • Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Ok but let me decide if I want a finished document to be re-saved in case I want to test a small design change without over writing it or saving it as a new document.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If scrollbars are hidden and you scroll to make them appear, can you then drag the scrollbar? Shouldn't you also be able to drag scrollbars on iPhones and iPads? That would make it easier to scroll through long documents or web pages on iOS devices.

I have a hard time trying to use the new scroll bars with the mouse pointer. However, since buying an Apple trackpad, I am (slowly) getting used to gestures to scroll up and down, so for me that isn't a problem. Mice with scroll wheels will work as well.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok but let me decide if I want a finished document to be re-saved in case I want to test a small design change without over writing it or saving it as a new document.

...That's what Versions is for, duder.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:

Had a look at the Lion features list and I'm struggling to find one that is making me want to upgrade.

Part of what you're going to get won't really be obvious until you've gotten used to it, and then you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I realize that sounds ridiculous or overblown, but here's an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about: I've never been a laptop user, which means I have next to no experience with a trackpad. Lion has a lot of touch gestures built in, and my mouse is dying... so... I decided to try a Magic Trackpad.

I hated it. But I stuck with it for a week just in case I was only frustrated by something 'different'. At the end of the week, I switched back to my mouse so I could pack up the Magic Trackpad to return it, but instantly I missed all of the finger swipes I'd become used to. Grabbing a big thing to move a cursor suddenly seemed unintuitive. The Magic Trackpad could do more than my eight button mouse with a tilting scroll wheel. WOW! I love the thing!

I guarantee Lion will be a lot like that. We're getting better ways of getting to various things, not to mention better ways of using parts of the OS. I haven't been this excited about getting a new version of the Mac OS since the switch from OS9 to OSX (though I waited until Jaguar was released). Granted, the change is nowhere near that drastic, but it's the biggest change since then. And I'm looking forward to it!
  • Reply 35 of 111
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Might be worth is if there was an option to turn it off,

Hit CMD-S, save your documents manually (and it will do it automatically, but that doesn't matter up you), never open the Versions browser and use the "duplicate" menu option instead of "Save As".

Crisis averted, you can still do what you want without ever taking advantage of Versions.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I have a hard time trying to use the new scroll bars with the mouse pointer. However, since buying an Apple trackpad, I am (slowly) getting used to gestures to scroll up and down, so for me that isn't a problem. Mice with scroll wheels will work as well.

Lion is smart. When you plug in a mouse, it displays scroll bars permanently. When you disconnect your mouse, scroll bars revert to their default behavior.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The app updates:
    1. Address Book

2. ICal

3. Finder

4. Mail

5. Safari. <--- This is huge!!!

6. TextEdit

System improvements
    1. AppleScript

2. Automator

3. MultiTouch Gestures

4. UNIX

5. Versions

6. Security

7. System *

I put an * on System because the OS has gone through some major over hauls improving performance and adding significant features. For example text handling has been completely overhauled. This is not all however, many parts of the OS have been updated. To put it plainly Lion is a bigger update than many realize.

Also don't forget the purpose of an OS is to support apps. The arrival of Lion should mean an avalanch of new apps.

Beyond all of that the number one most important feature is the year less birthdays. As anybody that has to deal with woman can instantly understand.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Bingo. Now that I'm using a Magic Trackpad, it seems silly to make the page move up by sliding two fingers down. If you were putting your fingers on the screen, you'd slide two fingers down to move the page down. But in the old days, we weren't moving the page. We were moving a scroll bar that denoted how far up the page we were. Once we shift our thinking from "moving a scroll bar" to "moving the page" it just makes sense. And it's more intuitive than the old way ever was.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple15 View Post

"The announcement from Apple Chief Operating Officer Peter Oppenheimer confirms an exclusive report from AppleInsider on Monday. Also rumored to launch is a refresh to the thin-and-light MacBook Air notebook, powered by Lion."

Isn't Peter Oppenheimer Apple's CFO? I thought Tim Cook was the COO...

Not at the moment. At the moment Cook is the CEO which means that Oppenheimer could be the COO. Acting in both cases but I won't be shocked if the 'acting' drops off of either or both and Jobs never officially comes back from his medical leave.

And in another year when folks are asking about succession plans Apple will be like "what are you talking about, Jobs is gone. Cook is the CEO. Has been for ages. Oh and by the way we made the shareholders filthy rich again this quarter."
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

...That's what Versions is for, duder.

i never used it however I have a bias toward not creating file clutter and prefer to control the file/ folder and archiving on my own. I dislike automatic anything. I much prefer manual control.