Apple confirms Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to launch on Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Right now the most aggravating part of Lion is a "feature" that I've encountered while typing where a popup will suggest alternate letters (those that are usually typed using the option key). This disrupts my typing as well as my thoughts as I have to backspace and retype the actual letter that I wanted in the first place.

I've searched high and low in System and each application's Preferences to find some way to stop this nonsense.

I'm a rather speedy touch-typist and am not in the habit of watching my screen while I type so when I do, I see garbage as there are missing letters. Here's a screen shot that illustrates this:

I complained on the Lion board at Apple and got only an automated reply that it was received.

If anyone here can shed light on this and advise where to look to cancel this system-wide, I'd be very grateful.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Alright Apple, I'll buy Mac OS X Lion tomorrow, but I'm still waiting for the iPhone 4S/5. Hurry up already!
  • Reply 43 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Stop with all of the tooting your own "as reported exclusively by Apple Insider on..."

1. It wasn't exclusive. It was one like a dozen different sites.

2. No one cares. We're already here reading your site, no need to toot your own horn to us.

3. It makes the writing less appealing, and more juvenile sounding. By a lot.

Seriously, please stop!

There's an old saying: Woe unto him who tooteth not his own horn for it shall not otherwise be tootethed.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    still no word about doing a clean install?
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That [autosave] and resume are the two worst features and there is apparently no way to turn them off, very aggravating and annoying for people who like to save their own documents as needed and don"t want every application to launch when turning on the machine, just awful ideas in my opinion.

Hear! Hear!

While an Appleseed participant I complained often about the lack of a means of disabling autosave. I work on a lot of PDF files, including editing out entire pages. When I try to save a single page out of several (or several hundred), it saves the entire document in the background. When I email what I think is a single page, my recipients inform me that they've gotten the entire document. I've had to resort to PDF Pen rather than Preview as my primary PDF-handling app.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not at the moment. At the moment Cook is the CEO which means that Oppenheimer could be the COO. Acting in both cases but I won't be shocked if the 'acting' drops off of either or both and Jobs never officially comes back from his medical leave.

And in another year when folks are asking about succession plans Apple will be like "what are you talking about, Jobs is gone. Cook is the CEO. Has been for ages. Oh and by the way we made the shareholders filthy rich again this quarter."

Not getting it till at least .1 obviously, with no hard feelings again obviously.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

There's an old saying: Woe unto him who tooteth not his own horn for it shall not otherwise be tootethed.

Haha, good one!
  • Reply 48 of 111
    Quote:

Ok but let me decide if I want a finished document to be re-saved in case I want to test a small design change without over writing it or saving it as a new document.

That's why Auto-Save and Versions gives you the "Revert to Last Opened" and "Duplicate" options:

Revert to Last Opened

"If you?re not happy with the changes you made, the Revert feature returns your document to the state it was in when you last opened it. So you can experiment freely, knowing you can always start again from the top."

Duplicate

"The Duplicate feature creates a copy of your document and places it next to the original. So you can start a fresh version using the original as a template."
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtz View Post

still no word about doing a clean install?

I've done several tests of the clean install process. There are guides to help you create either an install DVD or USB flash device available.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/08/creat...-install-disc/

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Use these and boot into the DVD or flash drive. When the Lion splash screen appears, you will have the option to choose your target install volume as well as the option to open Disk Utility to erase that volume.

This produces a clean install (AFAIK) without the need for Snow Leo.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Any sign of an option to install it at an Apple retail store yet for those that don't have any decent internet access?
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illimiter View Post

That's why Auto-Save and Versions gives you the "Revert to Last Opened" and "Duplicate" options:

Revert to Last Opened

"If you?re not happy with the changes you made, the Revert feature returns your document to the state it was in when you last opened it. So you can experiment freely, knowing you can always start again from the top."

Duplicate

"The Duplicate feature creates a copy of your document and places it next to the original. So you can start a fresh version using the original as a template."

That's the theory. My practical experience has been otherwise as the so-called duplicate (where I deleted some PDF pages) still contains the entire document. Reverting to last opened simply erases all the changes I made, making that option totally useless.

For some reason all those versions and changes and duplications retain the entire document below the surface, which poses problems when a PDF file gets emailed to someone not using Lion.

I would prefer to be able to disable any of these "new and exciting" options rather than go for a non-Apple app as a solution.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    The problem with auto-save and versions in Lion is that this is a kludge that doesn't solve the long standing problem of Mac OS X - poor file system reliability. Heck, even NTFS is much better and less fragile than HFS+. Apple should have adopted a modern file system instead of reinventing the bicycle.

I completely agree with those who find these two features in their present form an irritation.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stratokaster View Post

Lion is smart. When you plug in a mouse, it displays scroll bars permanently. When you disconnect your mouse, scroll bars revert to their default behavior.

Ah, well, er...I have both a mouse and a trackpad plugged in. Prior to getting the trackpad I found that mousing over to where the scrollbars were supposed to be was hit or miss when trying use them. Of course the scroll wheel worked fine.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Given it's only $30, I'll pick auto-save of documents.

I would agree that auto-save and versions will be nice, however, applications will have to be updated before they support those features.

I don't know if I will wait for .1 release, but I will definitely wait until the 3rd party applications I use get updated so the new features are available when using them.

-kpluck
  • Reply 55 of 111
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    OS 10.7 couldn't possibly as much of a RAM hog.... could it?

Signed, 8GB machine
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Hit CMD-S, save your documents manually (and it will do it automatically, but that doesn't matter up you), never open the Versions browser and use the "duplicate" menu option instead of "Save As".

Crisis averted, you can still do what you want without ever taking advantage of Versions.

Hate to disagree and I'm not disputing what you're writing, but my experiences with Preview and CMD-S and other assorted parts are not at all what you've experienced.

Call me an old fogy or a dog that won't learn new tricks, but for the moment I'd much prefer to have "Save as..." still available. "Save as..." allows me to specify where I want the document with changes as well as its format (PDF, RTF, etc) where neither Save a Version nor Duplicate seem to permit (in my own experiences, anyway).

As is said, my mileage varied from yours!

Still and all, I will purchase and install Lion fairly soon because of other features that I like.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    mdg1019mdg1019 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not at the moment. At the moment Cook is the CEO which means that Oppenheimer could be the COO. Acting in both cases but I won't be shocked if the 'acting' drops off of either or both and Jobs never officially comes back from his medical leave.

And in another year when folks are asking about succession plans Apple will be like "what are you talking about, Jobs is gone. Cook is the CEO. Has been for ages. Oh and by the way we made the shareholders filthy rich again this quarter."

The only thing management is interested in is how much they make. Making money for shareholders is very secondary. What you have is a purely hypothetical profit unless you sell now. The Apple bubble will burst sooner or later. People like Jobs, Cook, etc. will be laughing all the way to the bank, while small investors will be screwed. It's the American way.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If scrollbars are hidden and you scroll to make them appear, can you then drag the scrollbar? Shouldn't you also be able to drag scrollbars on iPhones and iPads? That would make it easier to scroll through long documents or web pages on iOS devices.

People still click on scroll bars?
  • Reply 59 of 111
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

That and resume are the two worst features and there is apparently no way to turn them off, very aggravating and annoying for people who like to save their own documents as needed and don"t want every application to launch when turning on the machine, just awful ideas in my opinion.

There should be no clutter. I believe versions works similar to Time Machine. You will still have to save your documents manually yourself as usual. Locking and "revert to last saved" will keep your original saved doc or revert to the last manually saved version. You can also choose not to relaunch apps when you restart or log off. You don't have to use these features if you don't want to.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

i never used it however I have a bias toward not creating file clutter and prefer to control the file/ folder and archiving on my own. I dislike automatic anything. I much prefer manual control.

You still have complete manual control, with additional auto features. You can still hit CMD+S (I am assuming the keyboard shortcut is the same) to manually save a version.

I will admit, Auto Save makes me nervous, but I realize its because manually is how we have been doing it all the time, and in hindsight, manual saving is a terrible idea (but necessitated by the technology of the time).

My other worry, however, is less Luddite. I am concerned that Auto-Save will train me to not save the documents, which will cause me trouble when I am working in non-AutoSave Apps (this is not a huge worry, since I expect most apps to include this feature pretty quickly), and in Windows (this is a real worry, coz I have to use Windows at work).