Apple's legal win over HTC pushes some Chinese vendors toward Windows Phone 7

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) "The year you were born?"? Really?!

2) I didn't say nor imply you innately hated Apple. I drew a correlation between your feelings of creepiness for minimalistic and clean design with "some people" who do hate Apple without ever using their products. For my statement to include you, you would have to not be a customer of Apple.

I got what you wrote... just so you know it's not you.

It's a dark place, Solipsism, I certainly wasn't going to venture into that hole... are you sure you want to go any further.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Huawei and ZTE are responsible for a lot of the crap Android hardware out there. I'm curious how they'll deal with Microsoft's hardware standards for WP7.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

This article is a bag of tosh. IF Apple succeed in their patent case against HTC they will be able to charge a royalty from companies who use Android. Normally royalty payments range from a few cents to a few dollars. It is incredibly unlikely that Apple would try to extort tens of dollars per device as this would get them in shit with the government for unfair business practices for trying to kill off android.

What this article is stating is that to save paying a royalty for every handset sold these manufacturers will release windows phone 7 handsets instead, even though they will have to pay microsoft for every single handset sold???? what a load of bull.

It is actually believed HTC is paying between $5 and $10 of royalties per phone to MS, and samsung was "asked" to pay $15 - or else. That is only MS royalties. If true. Now add Apple tax on top of that, and then add (likely) new tax based on Nortel portfolio that MS/Apple/RIM jointly purchased (and will use it against Google and Android).

I think we are easily talking $20 - 30 per phone. How much is WP7 license per device? I would not be surprised if it is actually lower.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple don't want to license it's technology. They Invent. They push forward. They move humanity forward.

Steve Jobs is dying. He has billions. Why do he still work? He wants to make this world better with blockbusters like iMac, iPhone, iPad and soon the AppleLCDTV.

HTC and other companies should do the same, innovate.

It is not HTC culture. They have always been an OEM company for other telephone companies and used others IPs.

If a small company like Palm could innovate a great OS like WebOS, then HTC should be able to do the same.

Google also shows its company culture. Why do they not defend Android OS? Why do they not help all Android companies? These Android vendors now are forced to pay billions to Microsoft for protection.

Apple Invents. Android Clone. Google buys Android = Profit Microsoft.

I agree Google should be providing some support to their manufacturers, but then again they didn't charge anything to HTC and others, so Android is basically freeware - and comes with no solid guarantees.

Also thinking of it - manufacturers maybe shouldn't be betting on "freeware" as their major mobile platform.

But regarding HTC - they did and are doing some really nice hardware, but it seems nowadays innovation is much more related to software, and that is simply out of their league.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It is actually believed HTC is paying between $5 and $10 of royalties per phone to MS, and samsung was "asked" to pay $15 - or else. That is only MS royalties. If true. Now add Apple tax on top of that, and then add (likely) new tax based on Nortel portfolio that MS/Apple/RIM jointly purchased (and will use it against Google and Android).

I think we are easily talking $20 - 30 per phone. How much is WP7 license per device? I would not be surprised if it is actually lower.

Just by the by (since it appears to be widely misunderstood) patent law doesn't require the patent holder to license at all, if they don't want to. Or, the patent holder can charge fees at whatever the market will bear.

If HTC is found to be in violation of Apple's patent holdings and precluded from using that tech, Apple can charge $100 a handset if they so wish for the right to do so, and no one can say boo. Or (and more likely) they can simply deny HTC access as a means of maintaining competitive advantage. That's kind of the point of having a patent, you get to control where and when and for how much your patented material is deployed.

I don't know where people have gotten the idea that Apple has to automatically charge HTC $5 or $10 a handset or they run afoul of some vague notion of fair trade. Apple can sit tight and let Google figure out a workaround, if they can.