Adobe arrives on Mac App Store with Photoshop Elements 9

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
On the eve of the launch of Apple's Mac OS X Lion, rival software maker Adobe has released a version of Photoshop Elements 9 for the Mac App Store.

Adobe quietly released its Photoshop Elements 9 Editor on Apple's Mac App Store on Tuesday, as noticed by MacCentral. The offering is Adobe's first foray onto the Mac App Store, which many of Apple's competitors have chosen to avoid.

The $79.99 consumer-focused photo editor lacks the Adobe Elements Organizer that the version on Adobe's website has, but otherwise has the same features. The 1.02GB download requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 and is available only in English.

According to Adobe, Photoshop Elements 9 is meant to "complement iPhoto" by offering more advanced photo editing tools, such as Group Shot, Panorama and Style Match Photomerge.

The software giant recently brought some of its Photoshop tools to iOS with a series of iPad apps. In addition to the Photoshop Express tool, Adobe offers Eazel, Color Lava and Nav apps for integrating with Adobe CS5.5.

The company also recently launched a publicity campaign in hopes of capitalizing on user dissatisfaction with Apple's new Final Cut Pro X. Earlier this month, Adobe initiated a "switcher" offer that provides a 50 percent savings to customers who are switching from either Final Cut Pro or Avid Media to Adobe's rival video editing software Premiere Pro.

For its part, Apple opened the Mac App Store for business in January with the release of Mac OS X 10.6.6. The company has moved aggressively to make the digital storefront the primary source for Mac software, as evidenced by Wednesday's Mac App Store-exclusive launch of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I love that, "complement iPhoto", not "compete" with iPhoto. They're learning.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is great. I think Apple should try to get as many big name vendors on the App Store as they can.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

I love that, "complement iPhoto", not "compete" with iPhoto. They're learning.

that and the "rival software maker..." part.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the eve of the launch of Apple's Mac OS X Lion, rival software maker Adobe . . .

I really wouldn't call it a rivalry. Apple has nothing to match the Creative Suite and I don't know that they will ever try to. As for Final Cut and Premier, I don't think anyone will jump ship for Adobe if they do abandon FC.

iPhoto vs. Elements? Most people have no incentive to bother with the later, and if they did need something better than iPhoto they'd move to full fledged Photoshop.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is great. I think Apple should try to get as many big name vendors on the App Store as they can.

Agreed. Great news. Adobe, get on with it!

A big challenge though, for the big name vendors is to adapt their pricing strategy. I'd love to see Lightroom here for instance, but at a competitive price..
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I really wouldn't call it a rivalry. Apple has nothing to match the Creative Suite and I don't know that they will ever try to. As for Final Cut and Premier, I don't think anyone will jump ship for Adobe if they do abandon FC.

iPhoto vs. Elements? Most people have no incentive to bother with the later, and if they did need something better than iPhoto they'd move to full fledged Photoshop.

Dunno. Photoshop is fairly pricey compared to Elements. It's now also far easier to get Elements on to your computer, and one less place to toss your card number.

Has anybody tried it yet? I am in the market, maybe, as I just upgraded my machine and finally graduated away from Creative Suite 3 (only used Illustrator and can do what I need with another app anyways that was much cheaper).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I?m disappointed to see that the App Store appearance didn?t include a lower price. WTF Adobe? $79.99 still? I?ll stick with Elements 7.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Greedy Adobe. You can get the boxed version for as much as $20 less online.

There are many, many apps on the app store, at a fraction of CS's prices that are getting the attention of professionals. I am skipping CS 5.5 myself, because I'm not paying a full upgrade price for a half upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    So tell me... what does Elements do that Aperture doesn't ?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    I've never been a fan of iPhoto at all due to its inane file managment scheme (Aperture isn't much better) and its extremely basic photo editing capabilities. PSE could address at least one of those needs. (I downloaded the full Photoshop demo off the Adobe website and found it to be too cumbersome for my needs.)

On a side note, if Preview would let me scroll through photos without highlighting them all, I'd probably never use iPhoto again.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I would not be too sure of that. PSE is a very good photo editor with an excellent browser, at a fraction of the price of Photoshop. I started with Photoshop, went to PSE for the laptops, tried all of Apple's attempts to compete plus a half dozen other photo editors but I'm still using Photoshop on the desktops and PSE on the laptops. Oddly enough, several friends went through the same cycle I did and are also defaulted to PSE. iPhoto is iPhoto: limited browser capability, nice for making calendars and insuring your file system is unusable. As an editor its weak.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I've never been a fan of iPhoto at all due to its inane file managment scheme (Aperture isn't much better) and its extremely basic photo editing capabilities. PSE could address at least one of those needs. (I downloaded the full Photoshop demo off the Adobe website and found it to be too cumbersome for my needs.)

On a side note, if Preview would let me scroll through photos without highlighting them all, I'd probably never use iPhoto again.

Adobe's Bridge came prepacked with mine. While I don't care for the fact its a separate app its the best photo browser available on the Mac (I must have tried at least a dozen over the years). Resort in the browser window, its will remember the sort or you can easily and quickly batch rename and move the files anywhere or any app to hold sequence. Superb for loading onto an iPad and having a coherent customer presentation. Plus a lot of other useful functionality if you are into photography.