Apple confirms Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to launch on Wednesday

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Versioning does not work in all applications, only those which support the feature. The 'version' information is a record of the changes not full duplicates of the files so takes up far less space.

Well that's good! But, are the logs of changes public when working with docs in an encrypted volume? I might not have to deal with this now if the apps I use to work on this content don't implement the feature, but once they do they become part of the problem.

I just need to know if I can disable all versions/resume/incremental save whatever of Lion if it doesn't save such things within the volume that holds the original content. If the versions are stored on the same volume as the document, then great, they will be encrypted in the disk image.

I'll be definitely looking under the hood to where changelogs are stored and see if there's a file<->volume relationship.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    The Apple store is down.

We'll be back soon.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I will be interested to hear what people think of the versioning feature. I was super-ethusiastic about it to begin with. But now, after 2 weeks of usage, not so much.

It doesn't have the feel of "Of course, this is how it always should have been," like some solutions have. It just feels overdone. An over-engineered solution to the fairly simple problem of Document Saving.

I don't know what an elegant solution is, but when someone works it out I think it will look like the difference between garbage collection and ARC.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Lion now on UK store for download. Mac Book Air all over the place!
  • Reply 105 of 111
    dcorbandcorban Posts: 58member
    And here it is.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

People still click on scroll bars?

Do you really think that endless flicking is the best way to scroll through long documents or web pages?
  • Reply 107 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Do you really think that endless flicking is the best way to scroll through long documents or web pages?

Stop. Trolling.

Yes, you can click and drag scrollbars in Lion.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Lion marks your ~/Library folder as hidden by default. I made myself a symbolic link to replace the Finder clicking solution we've always had:

ln -s /Users/username/Library ./Bibliothèque
  • Reply 109 of 111
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop. Trolling.

Yes, you can click and drag scrollbars in Lion.

Hey pinhead, before calling people trolls, read the smartass post that I was responding to.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Hey pinhead, before calling people trolls, read the smartass post that I was responding to.

But both sides have merit. And out of context both sides sound like trolling.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illimiter View Post

That's why Auto-Save and Versions gives you the "Revert to Last Opened" and "Duplicate" options:

Revert to Last Opened

"If you?re not happy with the changes you made, the Revert feature returns your document to the state it was in when you last opened it. So you can experiment freely, knowing you can always start again from the top."

Duplicate

"The Duplicate feature creates a copy of your document and places it next to the original. So you can start a fresh version using the original as a template."

Good to know. I would still rather not have either one. One of my frequent tasks involves exporting a pdf from inDesign. Many times I will want to overwrite that file but it won't let me. i have to delete it then export it again. Just an inconvenience that is really unnecessary for my work flow.