Apple's new 27-inch LED display is world?s first Thunderbolt display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday unveiled the new Apple Thunderbolt Display, the world?s first display with Thunderbolt I/O technology and built-in docking cables for Mac notebooks set to arrive sometime in the next 60 days for $999.

Following in the tradition of the previous 27-inch LED display, the new offering is designed specifically for Mac notebooks and features an elegant, thin, aluminum and glass enclosure, and includes a MagSafe connector that charges a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.

With a 16:9 edge-to-edge glass design, the Thunderbolt Display uses IPS technology to provide a brilliant image across an ultra wide 178 degree viewing angle. Any Thunderbolt-enabled Mac notebook can dock with the display to quickly and easily create a full-fledged desktop solution.

The Thunderbolt Display also includes a built-in FaceTime HD video camera for crisp video conferencing, a 2.1 speaker system for high quality audio, an integrated MagSafe charger to keep Mac notebooks charged, three USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port and a Thunderbolt port for daisy chaining up to five additional Thunderbolt devices.

?The Apple Thunderbolt Display is the ultimate docking station for your Mac notebook,? said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.? With just one cable, users can dock with their new display and connect to high performance peripherals, network connections and audio devices.?

Apple touted that the Thunderbolt Display is the world?s first display to include Thunderbolt I/O technology. Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to 10Gbps each, each Thunderbolt port delivers PCI Express directly to external peripherals such as high performance storage and RAID arrays, supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays.

Thunderbolt-based Macs with discrete graphics can drive two external displays giving professional users over 7 million additional pixels of display real estate and the ability to daisy chain additional Thunderbolt devices, as well as video and audio capture devices.

The Thunderbolt Display also includes an ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions and uses only as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience. Each unit is constructred with mercury-free LED technology, arsenic-free glass and highly recyclable materials, the new display meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status. The new display contains no brominated flame retardants and all cables and components are PVC-free.

Pricing & Availability

The new Thunderbolt Display will be available within the next 60 days through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $999 (US). The Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a Mac with a Thunderbolt I/O port.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Beautiful, just a shame they're so expensive! At £899 ($1450 US) it's far too much, especially when £400 more gets the entry level 27" imac
  • Reply 2 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I am so freaking furious at Apple for doing this.

I can't even put it into words.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doing what?
  • Reply 4 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Do you just buy one a few days ago?
  • Reply 5 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    People have been wanting a docking station from Apple for years. This display is it.

Quote:

Seriously?
  • Reply 6 of 96
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    They make him want to spend more money.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    I want the iMacs to look like this. Right now they just look....wrong....beside each other.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Beautiful, just a shame they're so expensive! At £899 ($1450 US) it's far too much, especially when £400 more gets the entry level 27" imac

Dell's 27" 2560x1440 displays are $1000. And a quick search on Newegg shows 2560x1440 monitors right around $1000. So it seems Apple's new display is competitively priced with its peers.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    revilrerevilre Posts: 67member
    Well I guess that answers it. I will be buying a dell display, as much as I'd like the new Thunderbolt display since I can't use it without buying a new computer. I was hoping I'd be able to future proof myself, for my next Mac purchase.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "deleted"

Please no glossy/vs matte discussion folks. We understand the opposing views.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Do you just buy one a few days ago?

Nope, launch day of the 27" LED Cinema Display.

I only bought it because I was told it shouldn't be obsoleted for another five to six years or so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

They make him want to spend more money.

Oh, I won't be spending any more money on Apple displays, that's for sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

No matte option means no purchase. It is a health and productivity issue! Sign the matte display petition here:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Get. Over. It.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Following in the tradition of the previous 27-inch LED display, the new offering is designed specifically for Mac notebooks and features an elegant, thin, aluminum and glass enclosure, and includes a MagSafe connector that charges a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.

And a replacement monitor for desktop pro's in the 30" rage is due when?

Skip
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And a replacement monitor for desktop pro's in the 30" rage is due when?

That replacement came out in July 2010.

It just received an update, too. This thread talks about it, in fact.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:

Get. Over. It.

"deleted"

Please no glossy/vs matte discussion folks. We understand the opposing views.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Nope, launch day of the 27" LED Cinema Display.

I only bought it because I was told it shouldn't be obsoleted for another five to six years or so.

Join the club. My iMac is one revision out of date, my Time Capsule is two revisions, my iPad is an iPad 1...
  • Reply 16 of 96
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

That replacement came out in July 2010.

It just received an update, too. This thread talks about it, in fact.

Apple has a 30" or larger screen again?

Skip
  • Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Join the club. My iMac is one revision out of date, my Time Capsule is two revisions, my iPad is an iPad 1...

The difference is that there's absolutely no expectation that those have a lifespan longer than six months, two years, and one year, respectively.

I was told (and history has shown) that Apple displays go five to six years without updates. So I bought a 27" Cinema Display to replace my rather unwieldy set of three 24" monitors.

And then Apple goes and does this nonsense. They could have easily made ONLY a Thunderbolt display model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidness View Post

If you work in a room with windows, you need this. Perhaps you've never used a matte display.

I was exactly like you until I used a glossy monitor. Then I got over it. And there's absolutely no problem with using one in a room with windows. Perhaps you've never used a glossy display.

Were you even alive when CRTs were the only choice? How did you get by then?

Quote:

Matte. Is. Better.

Completely subjective.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Apple has a 30" or larger screen again?

And what does physical size have to do with anything?
  • Reply 18 of 96
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

The difference is that there's absolutely no expectation that those have a lifespan longer than six months, two years, and one year, respectively.

I was told (and history has shown) that Apple displays go five to six years without updates. So I bought a 27" Cinema Display to replace my rather unwieldy set of three 24" monitors.

And then Apple goes and does this nonsense. They could have easily made ONLY a Thunderbolt display model.

I was exactly like you until I used a glossy monitor. Then I got over it. And there's absolutely no problem with using one in a room with windows. Perhaps you've never used a glossy display.

Were you even alive when CRTs were the only choice? How did you get by then?

Completely subjective.

And what does physical size have to do with anything?

No monitor provider in the world keeps a model around for 5 years. Your monitor will most certainly hum right along for 5 years and if you can't handle the system you bought to use it then you are beyond reason.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    I wonder if you can hook up a third party display to the thunderbolt port and how long before there's an adaptor to run two third party displays.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Dell's 27" 2560x1440 displays are $1000. And a quick search on Newegg shows 2560x1440 monitors right around $1000. So it seems Apple's new display is competitively priced with its peers.

- Jasen.

NEC sells a nice 27" monitor with Displayport for $1400 - PA271W-BK. It has very similar features to the new Thunderbolt Display, so Apple seems to be offering a lot of value here.