Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Comments

• Reply 41 of 183
    It's the same.
  • Reply 42 of 183
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I was suprised that they did not release this for each country at 00:01 am local time, that way they could have tiered the hit that their servers are going to get now.

Surely you don't think it's all coming from one server? I'm sure it's replicated on caching servers around the world.
  • Reply 43 of 183
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    Just downloaded in half an hour. Now got another half an hour to wait while it installs.
  • Reply 44 of 183
    installed LION: the whole process took about 45 minutes. (download to running)

everything seems fine, and i love the new look and feel of OSX. Nice improvement for Mail and Safari.

oh, and the FINDER is awesome.
  • Reply 45 of 183
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Just installed Lion and logged in. Tested it for about 30 sec - no doubt this is the best OS ever!
  • Reply 46 of 183
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    So could anyone clarify this thing for me - suppose a reinstall from scratch is nessesary, such as in the case of a damaged hard drive, is there any way to do that with the app store version or do I need to buy that USB stick or worse, run older Leopard install and then redownload Lion again?
  • Reply 47 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

So could anyone clarify this thing for me - suppose a reinstall from scratch is nessesary, such as in the case of a damaged hard drive, is there any way to do that with the app store version or do I need to buy that USB stick or worse, run older Leopard install and then redownload Lion again?

Or you can use disc utility create your own backup
  • Reply 48 of 183
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    I get this when I try to install: "The software could not be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during download."

Then when I go back to the App store it says "Installed" and won't let me download again.

OK - now what?

Update. Now downloading again from another computer. I'll try to burn the installer or copy it over.
  • Reply 49 of 183
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Mac OS X Up to date refuses my Mac's serial number I purchased it less than two weeks ago.
  • Reply 50 of 183
    I am flabbergasted! This new OS X exceeds what I expected now that I have it in my hot little hands. Very impressed with how the full screen apps make use of limited real estate on my 15'' MBP. The animations are smooth between apps. The gesture for scrolling in Safari seems reversed from what I'm used to but actually more intuitive and easy to get used to. So much more, but these were a few things that struck me right off the bat.
  • Reply 51 of 183
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    This is strange. I've been running the developer releases all along including the golden master, but when I just updated to the retail Lion on another Mac the new Safari didn't come with it. It's still 5.0.5 rather than 5.1. Anyone else have this happen?
  • Reply 52 of 183
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Mac OS X Up to date refuses my Mac's serial number I purchased it less than two weeks ago.

Are you sure it qualifies. I bought a Mac Mini Server on 7th June and found it's not in the list of qualifying Macs
  • Reply 53 of 183
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I've been running a not-so-legit copy of Lion for a while, now. The GM is excellent! Even so, it never crossed my mind to NOT download the legit version as soon as it was available. I am pleased to see so many here doing the same. What is it about this product that makes us want to pay for it? I did the same with iLife and iWork too.
  • Reply 54 of 183
    I have just spent the last half hour staring at the grey 'Installing' screen after the reboot. I called apple as there was no time indication on install. They said they just got a message from headquarters that this is a known issue and they are working on resolving it. They took my number and will call me back when they sort it out. Time to get the old OSX discs out. Holy crap, this and Final Cut X. What the hell is going on down there? Blowout quarter though. Praise be to apple.
  • Reply 55 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Same here, I called and they have no idea why it would be refusing mine since it is eligible. They told me to wait and try it again tonight. \
  • Reply 56 of 183
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

This is strange. I've been running the developer releases all along including the golden master, but when I just updated to the retail Lion on another Mac the new Safari didn't come with it. It's still 5.0.5 rather than 5.1. Anyone else have this happen?

Interesting, 5.1 is available to download for Snow Leopard and Windows. But not for the retail Lion???

Update: OK, even more odd, though my MBP never showed the 5.1 update, I restarted for the hell of it and now Safari 5.1 is installed. Software updates are coming fast and furious though so who knows?

Update 2: So it seems that I had two versions of Safari on my MBP. 5.0.5 and 5.1. Don't know how that happened.
  • Reply 57 of 183
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Just installed Lion and logged in. Tested it for about 30 sec - no doubt this is the best OS ever!

Best in depth review ever. I'm starting my download now. By the way, has anyone tried this on something less than a supercharged machine? How does it compare to SL? Inevitably with OS updates, lag and slowness creeps in.
  • Reply 58 of 183
    Ok, the Mac just beeped at me. I unplugged all the SATA external drives and then force booted it (with my $hitkickers) and then it came back and started installing. So far so good. Of course it did give me time to copy my last to Steve Jobs email. I mean, come on, you never tested it with external RAIDS plugged in. Got to go Lion is booting
  • Reply 59 of 183
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    The new scroll bars are ... interesting. The problem I'm seeing is that they don't reliably render in a way that is clear, some web-page designs can result in safari rendering them as white on white.
  • Reply 60 of 183
    But is it snappier?

Seriously. My old iMac barely meets the minimum specs and SL really seemed to slow it down. With all the (useless IMO) eye candy in Lion I'm thinking it would bog it down even further.

Would be interested on seeing some actual before and after benchmarks on older systems.