Re: Apple prepping 64-bit, full-screen iTunes 10.4 and iWork updates

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With Mac OS X Lion now unleashed on the Mac App Store, Apple has also introduced a new version of iTunes that is both 64-bit and full-screen capable, in addition to full-screen version of iWork that will also leverage several other Lion features [update: now available].

Updated: iWork Update 6 (90.2MB) and iTunes 10.4 (64.1MB) are now both available via Software Update. In addition, Apple on Wednesday also released Remote Desktop Client Update 3.5.1 (3.6MB).

The updates to both iWork and iTunes add features found in Lion, Apple's new operating system released on Wednesday. Both the iWork suite and iTunes support full-screen mode, while Pages, Numbers and Keynote will also gain Resume, Auto Save and Versions functionality.

Earlier Wednesday, AppleInsider was provided screenshots of pre-release downloads via Software Update, revealing ahead of time that Apple with iTunes 10.4 will also upgrade the media client to a full-fledged Cocoa application with 64-bit support.

Apple's internal release notes revealed that some iTunes plug-ins may no longer be compatible with iTunes 10.4. Users are advised to contact the responsible plug-in developer to receive an update that is compatible with the latest version of iTunes.

Apple began to push 64-bit with Snow Leopard, its previous-generation operating system, which featured 64-bit support in its kernel. While 64-bit support has been added to applications over the years, including the recently released Final Cut Pro X, iTunes became something of an anomaly without Cocoa and 64-bit support.

Set to be added to both iTunes and iWork, full-screen application support is one of the hallmark features of Lion. With a quick multi-touch gesture, users can quickly switch between active applications in Lion.

Lion also features Resume, which brings applications back exactly how they were left when restarting a Mac, or just quitting and relaunching the application. The new Auto Save functionality automatically and continuously saves iWork documents as users work on them.

Another new feature is Versions, which automatically records the history of a document as it is created. Using Versions, users can also easily browse, revert and copy and paste from previous versions of a document or file in iWork, or other Lion-compatible applications.

Mac OS X 10.7 also features AirDrop, a new built-in feature that finds nearby Macs and automatically sets up a peer-to-peer wireless connection. This makes transferring files and documents between Macs quick and easy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    What's the anticipate time line on this?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why iTunes 10.4 when 10.5's the one in beta right now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What's the anticipate time line on this?

How could we possibly know that?! For heaven's sake, we've been expecting iWork '11 since December.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    10.5 beta is already 64-bit???? At least that's what activity monitor states.....
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

10.5 beta is already 64-bit???? At least that's what activity monitor states.....

Yes. But it's also already a BETA. No one has it that isn't running a dev system. iTunes 10.3.whatever that came out recently is still non-Cocoa/non-64-bit.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Just downloaded the iWork update from SU

I now await iTunes!
  • Reply 6 of 67
    ITUNES IS LIVE!! I just got it from Software Update.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

ITUNES IS LIVE!! I just got it from Software Update.

Hmmmm cocoa iTunes. Downloading now and eager to see what 64-bit gives me.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Difficult to imagine a world where iTunes isn't a piece of festering sewage. Maybe things are better in MacOS now, but in the Windows world iTunes is unimaginably terrible. No other piece of mainstream, mass market software is so crushingly slow, so staggeringly unstable, and so painfully clumsy to use.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hmmmm cocoa iTunes. Downloading now and eager to see what 64-bit gives me.

Is this iTunes 10.4 or a final version of 10.5?

Because 10.5 isn't much better at all, tell the truth. And none of the little things that needed fixed are fixed.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    koifimkoifim Posts: 3member
    Both iWork 9.1 and iTunes 10.4 are showing up in Software Update now!

As other people said before me...
  • Reply 11 of 67
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I wonder about this 10.4 version. Running Leopard 10.5.8 on PPC shows the update for 10.4 in Software Update but specifically talks all about Lion.

Update: Apple updated the information listing for System Requirements for 10.4 and it supports Leopard PPC.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  • Reply 12 of 67
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Soooo, it looks like they might just update the existing iWork to have the new Lion features and not bother to release a new version of iWork at all.

Unless I am just reading this totally wrong....
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Soooo, it looks like they might just update the existing iWork to have the new Lion features

That's exactly what happened.

Quote:

and not bother to release a new version of iWork at all.

You can't say that based on this.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    just downloaded the update for snow leopard. riddle me this; if itunes is now "proper" cocoa/64-bit, then why is it incompatible with app extensions such as Afloat? also, the fact that it's 64-bit for Lion only leads me to believe that some OS-level hackery has been employed to make this happen
  • Reply 15 of 67
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Looks like iTunes 10.4 works on 10.6 and even 10.5 (including G5s). But still only runs 32 bit under 10.6? What the hell, is that so hard to make that work?

Hopefully it will run a bit better since it's cocoa, but having a 64 bit app but only on the newer OS is just dumb and smacks of intentionally trying to cripple it on the older OS.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    iTunes 10.4 looks very nice. Some nice eye candy. The out of character vertical buttons are gone and it seems very snappy. I'm assuming that it is using the Lion graphic elements. I'm at a university so I haven't updated to Lion yet (waiting for my IT guys to get me the file on a disk), but even on SL it seems a big improvement. And I can confirm that it is a 32 bit app on SL.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Difficult to imagine a world where iTunes isn't a piece of festering sewage. Maybe things are better in MacOS now, but in the Windows world iTunes is unimaginably terrible. No other piece of mainstream, mass market software is so crushingly slow, so staggeringly unstable, and so painfully clumsy to use.

I use it only to buy my Jpop from the Japanese iTunes store and to keep my iPhone 3GS (now iPod Touch 3GS due to my upgrade to a Windows Phone).

For playback, I use the Zune desktop software because iTunes is so slow. If Apple would clean up the Windows version of iTunes I would switch back to iTunes as a media player.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny, I personally know at least 4 died-in-the-wool Windows users who say that iTunes runs just fine on their XP, Vista, and 7 systems. I guess it's just you. Fix your Windows box would be my advice.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    I imagine that we may see all new versions of iWork once iCloud goes live.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    As someone who edits tags on a daily basis and dreads waiting for iTunes to advance to the next track, I am thrilled to report 10.4 is radically faster than all versions to date. Finally an iTunes that is as fast as humans.

But the list and source UP & DOWN Arrows were gone front he top and bottom of each column. Bummer. Guess I'll have to write a feedback form to ask for them back. Use them a lot of the time.