Apple initiates mass discontinuation of boxed retail software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Further emphasizing the Mac App Store as the preferred place to get new software for Mac OS X, Apple on Wednesday discontinued a slew of boxed software products.

Virtually all of Apple's retail software was declared "end of life" on Wednesday in a notification sent to resellers. Products that will no longer be available in a boxed form include 'iWork '09, Aperture 3, iLife '11, Apple Remote Desktop, and various Jam Packs for GarageBand.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that the launch of the Mac App Store had hastened Apple's plans to cease the sale of boxed software in the company's retail stores. It was said that boxed software takes up a large amount of shelf space in the company's retail stores, and software is less profitable than devices like the iPhone or iPad.

Apple also moved this year to drastically reduce the number of games made available at its stores, whittling the number down from 32 to 8. Customers are instead advised that they can download titles for Mac OS X from the Mac App Store.

Apple also cut some products from its stores to clear shelf space, including printers and scanners. But unlike the software, which has been removed completely, the hardware options are available for sale if a customer requests them.

The full list of applications declared "end of life" by Apple on Wednesday to resellers is included below:

MC171 Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 10 Managed Systems

MC172 Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 Unlimited Managed Systems

D4222 Xsan 2 VL 10+

D4223 Xsan 2 VL 10+ EDU INST

MC186 Xsan 2 Single License

MC189 Xsan 2 Media Set

D2977 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS SINGLE

D3132 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS SINGLE EDU INST

D2966 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS 10+

D3133 Xsan 2 MAINT 36 MOS 10+ EDU INST

MB957 Aperture 3 Retail

MC455 Aperture 3 ZU Retail

MB959 Aperture 3 Upgrade

MC456 Aperture 3 ZU Upgrade

D4855 APERTURE 3 TRIAL ACTIV KEY RETAIL

D4857 APERTURE 3 TRIAL UPGRADE ACTIV KEY

MC623 iLife '11 Retail

MC625 iLife '11 Family Pack

MA371 Jam Pack : Remix Tools Retail

MA374 Jam Pack : Remix Tools Media Set

D3057 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 10-99 EDU

D3059 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 100-999 EDU

D3061 Jam Pack : Remix Tools VL 1000+ EDU

MA375 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section Retail

MA378 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section Media Set

D3063 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 10-99 EDU

D3065 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 100-999 EDU

D3067 Jam Pack : Rhythm Section VL 1000+ EDU

MA319 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra Retail

MA322 Jam Pack : Symphony Media Set

D3264 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 10-99 EDU

D3265 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 100-999 EDU

D3266 Jam Pack : Symphony Orchestra VL 1000+ EDU

MA211 Jam Pack : World Music Retail

D3545 Jam Pack : World Music VL 10-99 EDU

D3546 Jam Pack : World Music VL 100-999 EDU

D3547 Jam Pack : World Music VL 1000+ EDU

MA214 Jam Pack : World Music Media Set

MA990 Jam Pack : Voices

D4180 Jam Pack : Voices VL 10-99 EDU

D4181 Jam Pack : Voices VL 100-999 EDU

D4182 Jam Pack : Voices VL 1000+ EDU

MA993 Jam Pack : Voices Media Set

MB942 iWork '09 Retail

MB943 iWork '09 Family Pack

D4831 iWork '09 Retail Activation Key

D4898 iWork '09 Family Pack Activation Key

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So to buy Logic Studio 2 right now, the only place on the planet to buy it would be store.apple.com.

Or a reseller, I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Not a fan. I know it's the 'way of the future' but we are too reliant on the internet and this software distribution model. I prefer to have the software on a format that is unlikely to fail.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This could be significant if others follow, reducing the environmental footprint of the software industry.

The last two items on the list end with "Activation Key". Were they selling boxes with nothing more than activation keys?
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

Not a fan. I know it's the 'way of the future' but we are too reliant on the internet and this software distribution model. I prefer to have the software on a format that is unlikely to fail.

CD's fail more often than the Internet.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So download it and then put it on NAND, optical disc, HDD, magnetic tape, or stone tablets as a series of 1's and 0's.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    How is one supposed to buy Jam Packs now? Are they available on the App Store?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have plenty of install CDs that are still good. One uses a CD install disk maybe once and it gets put away. Why would they fail?

Meanwhile, I have a client moving into a new facility of 50,000 square feet outside of Petaluma, CA. All they can get is a T1 line at 3Mbps. The Internet availability is pathetic in this country. Give me a disk. I can't wait days to download and install Lion on five Macs.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Oh boy, Apple's starting to move away from the optical drive now. And it looks like they've got a half decent means of doing it for most customers. Can't say I'll really miss them, though I'll want to keep some kind of option around on a computer for ripping music.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

How is one supposed to buy Jam Packs now? Are they available on the App Store?

Not at this time. Also, the link in Garageband » Learn about Jam Packs links to http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jam-packs.html but is now a dead page on Apple's site. Makes me think Jam Packs are going away or there is an update to Garageband that will put Jam Packs within the app much like Lesson Store.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    bslaghtbslaght Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This could be significant if others follow, reducing the environmental footprint of the software industry.

The last two items on the list end with "Activation Key". Were they selling boxes with nothing more than activation keys?

YES, when you could buy MobileME, it was a box with an activation code inside and nothing more. I have one still at home.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So I wonder if apps purchased on disk from Apple will soon be recognized for updates by the Apps store. Currently they are not, only those bought from the apps store are.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

I have plenty of install CDs that are still good. One uses a CD install disk maybe once and it gets put away. Why would they fail?

Meanwhile, I have a client moving into a new facility of 50,000 square feet outside of Petaluma, CA. All they can get is a T1 line at 3Mbps. The Internet availability is pathetic in this country. Give me a disk. I can't wait days to download and install Lion on five Macs.

1) Technically 3Mbps is two DS-1(T1 lines) and is slightly over 3Mbps. This is a solid connection and the not the shared, burst connections of consumer DSL, cable, or cellular.

2) Lion is 3.6 gigabytes which is 29491.20 megabits. Divide that by 3 equals 9,830.40 seconds; divide that by 60 equals 163.84 minutes; divide that by 60 equals is under 3 hours.

3) Now that you have the file you can follow any one of the many simple instructions to create a bootable installer.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    Retail stores have had 2 options for an office suite. Microsoft Office, or iWork. While iWork can be purchased from the App store, when a sales person is selling a machine, they are likely going to recommend an office suite for you. Your boxed choices, that the sales rep could make money on, were iWork or Office. Now, the only choice they have to push is Office. Once someone buys Office, they have little incentive to shell out extra cash at the app store for iWork pieces. This is a likely step backwards for adoption of the Apple software, even if only by a few points.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

But it is much easier to replace a CD than the internet. Plus, after you use the CD, put it in a sleeve and file it safely away. How is the disc going to fail exactly?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

I thought the same when music downloads first came along - absolutely hated the idea of not owning something physical.

Once I got over that, it's given me no problems at all. In practice, my music is much safer now than it was, in that I have it on the hard drive of my Mac, and the Time Machine drive, whereas I only used to have one copy of a very damageable CD.

The thing I will miss is mindless browsing of the shelves in a software shop, but I'll get over that as well.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

But it is much easier to replace a CD than the internet.

• Reply 17 of 56
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:

But it is much easier to replace a CD than the internet. Plus, after you use the CD, put it in a sleeve and file it safely away. How is the disc going to fail exactly?

If it's a burned disc instead of a stamped retail disc, the dye degrades over time making it unreadable. All discs of course have their usual failure points: scratches, unreadable sectors, laser error, etc...
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Well, considering you can redownload apps bought on the MAS, short of Apple going out of business, I don't see how your filing away a CD (which still degrades, even when filed away) is safer than redownloading from Apple's servers.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    I guess it's a function of lower sale price and square footage but surprising that software has lower margins than hardware. Software always strikes me as a 90% margin business.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    You guys didn't post the full info, and I don't think you're interpreting it right.

The full email from Apple didn't say it was discontinuing the boxed versions, just no longer stocking them in brick and mortar stores. They specifically said that the software is still available at the Apple ONLINE Store. Not the app store, the online store which is store.apple.com. And sure enough, all the boxed software like SL and iWork is still available there - you can still buy them, you just need to order online and have the boxes mailed to you.

They also specifically mentioned Logic, it will still be sold in boxes in apple stores and other resellers.