Apple's white legacy MacBook pulled from website and online store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

And PC people will laugh that you have to spend $1200 just to be able to play DVDs on your laptop.

So they'll buy their crap $599 laptops and the millions of people who don't use optical discs anymore will buy MacBook Airs.

And everyone else on the planet who don't even care anyway will just by MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The White Macbook was in an awkward space.

Apple likely didn't want to reduce it to $899 and conflict with high end iPads.

It couldn't keep the price the same because in reality the Macbook Pro 13 is just $100 even you normalize to 4GB of RAM standard.

I figured this last MB was the swan song for the model.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So they'll buy their crap $599 laptops and the millions of people who don't use optical discs anymore will buy MacBook Airs.

And everyone else on the planet who don't even care anyway will just by MacBook Pros.

Why I agree with you that $599 PCs are crap, many people still use optical discs. I personally watch DVDs on my MBP all the time. Just because the Mac App Store exists doesn't mean it works for all people.

I get tired of mac users justifying apple's decisions. "Oh yea, it should have always been that way." BS. Removing the optical disc sucks, and you know it.

I love apple too, but don't pretend that they aren't practically the only company that time and again can get away with giving you less value for more money.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

Removing the optical disc sucks, and you know it.

Nope. It's the best thing to happen to computers since the removal of the 3.5" floppy drive and pre-USB ports.

Quote:

I love apple too, but don't pretend that they aren't practically the only company that time and again can get away with giving you less value for more money.

Value is subjective. And most people don't value having a slow, loud ODD anymore.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The White Macbook was in an awkward space.

Apple likely didn't want to reduce it to $899 and conflict with high end iPads.

It couldn't keep the price the same because in reality the Macbook Pro 13 is just $100 even you normalize to 4GB of RAM standard.

I figured this last MB was the swan song for the model.

When they remove the optical drive from the MacBook Pro, they may choose to keep the current 13" MacBook Pro as the sole model with the optical drive. Maybe, even call it the "MacBook." And, price it at $999.

You may get a choice at $999 - 11" Air, or 13" aluminum MacBook.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The fact that the white plastic MacBook is still available through educational channels suggests that Apple still have some inventory to liquidate. It may be that Apple will be introducing new aluminium MacBooks later this year to serve the market segment caring most about low price, rather than ultimate performance (the MacBook Pro segment) or light, thin, and sexy (the MacBook Air segment).

I don't believe the assertion that Apple dropped the MacBook to avoid cannibalizing iPad sales. Apple have been able to sell as many iPads as they have been able to produce. I don't see any serious threats to the iPad market.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Really dumb. So unless 64GB of hard drive space, 2GB of RAM, no optical drive and an 11" screen suits a person's needs, Apple has no laptop under $1200. The white MacBook should have seen the same processor and graphic updates as the Mac Mini, and been priced at $899 or less.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

IMHO a wash. I'm sure it will be good for apple as always. And PC people will laugh that you have to spend $1200 just to be able to play DVDs on your laptop.

Edit: actually it's worse. With the 64 GB of hard drive and 11-in display, the $999 MBA looks weak, compelling you to spend more to get something a bit more decent. Exactly what apple wants.

Yup. When the proles can buy a 15" Windows-based laptop with optical drive and built-in WiFi for under $700, Apple's foregoing a huge potential market (and, more importantly, entry point for people to get into the Apple universe and then move up over time).
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Not a surprise, but a bit of a disappointment. The Macbook air is a downgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Yup. When the proles can buy a 15" Windows-based laptop with optical drive and built-in WiFi for under $700, Apple's foregoing a huge potential market (and, more importantly, entry point for people to get into the Apple universe and then move up over time).

Nah, it's probably a reasonable move, given that Apple never really wanted a laptop to dip into that price category and kill its margins which is very important for its slew of investors. Given their recent emphasis on iOS, there is very little motivation for them to compete with certain SKUs of iPads, which is what an $800 Mac laptop would have done. iOS products will take gradually more prominent role in Apple lineup in the next few years, with Macbooks relegated to more niche areas.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Really dumb. So unless 64GB of hard drive space, 2GB of RAM, no optical drive and an 11" screen suits a person's needs, Apple has no laptop under $1200. The white MacBook should have seen the same processor and graphic updates as the Mac Mini, and been priced at $899 or less.

I'm happy with the removal of the MB as I think the MBA is clearly the way forward but it should have had 128GB on the entry model. What are you supposed to do when the 64GB iPhone comes out?

I wouldn't say it's a dumb move but premature. To only have 64GB in the model at the most accessible price point in the most popular computer category is going to have a negative effect. I can see a lot of people paying $200 more and buying the MBP instead, which won't help bring the storage prices down.

How much of a financial hit could it possibly be to stick in 64GB storage using 19nm NAND? $100? They could have recouped some by pricing the other models a bit higher.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm happy with the removal of the MB as I think the MBA is clearly the way forward but it should have had 128GB on the entry model. What are you supposed to do when the 64GB iPhone comes out?

I wouldn't say it's a dumb move but premature. To only have 64GB in the model at the most accessible price point in the most popular computer category is going to have a negative effect. I can see a lot of people paying $200 more and buying the MBP instead, which won't help bring the storage prices down.

How much of a financial hit could it possibly be to stick in 64GB storage using 19nm NAND? $100? They could have recouped some by pricing the other models a bit higher.

I agree, if the $999 MacBook Air had 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM, killing the MacBook would have made partial sense. But as it is they just upped the price for a standalone portable Mac by $200. The $999 MacBook Air is hardly passable as a person's sole computer.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I think the iPhone/Pad is the entry point - not sure they are worried too much about cheap low-margin computers. Their current model is pretty successful.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wish they still had the PowerBook 170 in the lineup as well... I just can't understand why they discontinued that product!!
  • Reply 35 of 63
    11" macbook air is a worthless piece of aluminum junk , lack of the ethernet , there is no sd card slot , small hd capacity, i think it looks much worse than a polycarbonate mbw.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Sad day. So much for Macs are not just for the wealthy Mr Cook.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1960 View Post

11" macbook air is a worthless piece of aluminum junk , lack of the ethernet , there is no sd card slot , small hd capacity, i think it looks much worse than a polycarbonate mbw.

People buying MacBook Airs don't use Ethernet. And when you can magically fit an SD card slot into that thing, you let me know, because you'd be a better engineer than Apple.

And "small HD capacity"? You'd just whine about how the hard drive makes it $4,000 if it had a capacity to fit your 'needs'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Sad day. So much for Macs are not just for the wealthy Mr Cook.

Except the MacBook Air is cheaper than the MacBook ever was.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AMonthly shipments for the Core 2 Duo MacBook had fallen to between 80,000 and 100,000 units, comprising less than 10 percent of the Apple's total Mac shipments in the first half of 2011.

Looks like it comes out to around 6-7%. But that's still a significant figure - especially when all the R&D has been done so overhead cost is low.

I'd probably have made some minor upgrades and left it alone - unless the market research says that almost all of the MB buyers would buy an MBP or MBA instead. Or maybe even upgrade it to an i3....

There are still some people who need more than the Air offers but want to stay closer to the $1 K price point. I guess Apple's data says that the number isn't very large.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People buying MacBook Airs don't use Ethernet. And when you can magically fit an SD card slot into that thing, you let me know, because you'd be a better engineer than Apple.

And "small HD capacity"? You'd just whine about how the hard drive makes it $4,000 if it had a capacity to fit your 'needs'.

Except the MacBook Air is cheaper than the MacBook ever was.

what i meant that this kind of laptop or i even would say a netbook doesn't fit in the laptop family, and i doubt that it woth a $1.000.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1960 View Post

what i meant that this kind of laptop or i even would say a netbook doesn't fit in the laptop family, and i doubt that it woth a 1000$.

Fortunately, the 11" MacBook Air isn't a netbook. And it's obviously worth $1,000 for its users. Millions of them.