Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Comments

• Reply 101 of 183
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acgood View Post

I have a iMac running 10.6 and a Macbook running 10.5..If I buy the download on the iMac can I install Lion on the laptop as well? Or am I stuck buying the thumb drive version?

Why is your MacBook still running Leopard after 2 years with Snow Leopard for $25?

But yes you can make an install DVD or Flash Drive from the iMac download then use that to install Lion on all your other Macs that meet the minimum hardware requirements. Just Google Lion Install DVD to find step by step instructions how including on the Macworld website. You'll probably have to kill your Macbook's drive though because you don't have Snow Leopard installed on it. So a backup and then clean install plus migration would be required. But don't expect to get stuff from the Leopard backup. Lion only talks to Snow Leopard backups for migration. So you'll have to do the migration manually. Lot of extra work.
  • Reply 102 of 183
    jimmi3jimmi3 Posts: 1member
    Is there a relationship between Launch Pad and the same apps in the Dock.

Also, where do we access the Hard Drive (in OS X it was a convenient place to check version numbers of apps and utilities and also to store/delete third party apps)? Can it be added to the Dock in Lion?

The HD, a Finder Pref that shows it on the upper right of the desktop, does not appear in any of the Lion publicity shots.
  • Reply 103 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As a power user do you even use LaunchPad? I know I don't. I removed it from my Dock and haven't even organized it since the first Preview.

When I first installed DP1, I got rid of my Applications Stack and forced myself to try it out. I do use it, and I think it's okay, but I do have one huge complaint:

AUTOMATICALLY. CLOSE. THE. FREAKING. FOLDER. AFTER. I. CLICK. AN. APPLICATION. INSIDE. IT.

Adding clicks to my workflow is something I want to avoid. I know this is the way iOS does it, but after dealing with this in Launchpad, I question why it even happens in iOS at all. It shouldn't. Close the folder automatically.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shii View Post

2. can't move applications how I want. like chess to games folder, unused small software to utilities folder. OS just refuse to move or delete.

Are you really in the Applications folder that much for this to matter at all?

Quote:

3. some of my applications are now not usable saying can't open powerpc applications. well, they are not

Well, yes, they are. Get Info on them to see that.

Quote:

So if you have OSX server, think twice before updating it.

Oh, I understand that part, at least.

Quote:

PS: I was charged twice for lion update on same account.

So... talk to Apple about it...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmi3 View Post

Is there a relationship between Launch Pad and the same apps in the Dock.

None. It's just another way to access the rest of your applications.

Quote:

Also, where do we access the Hard Drive

Uh... WHAT? It's on your Desktop. If you don't see it, you did something. Change your Finder preferences.

Quote:

(in OS X

Lion is OS X.
  • Reply 104 of 183
    dubdubdub.24100.net/2011/07/mac-os-x-lion-gm-seed-release

Turns out that if your Mac is connected to the Internet during setup, the installer will actually download an update and upgrade your build to 11A511.
  • Reply 105 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post

dubdubdub.24100.net/2011/07/mac-os-x-lion-gm-seed-release

Turns out that if your Mac is connected to the Internet during setup, the installer will actually download an update and upgrade your build to 11A511.

What's with the useless, fake link?
  • Reply 106 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's with the useless, fake link?

replace 'dub' with a 'w'.
  • Reply 107 of 183
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacticritter View Post

I am flabbergasted! This new OS X exceeds what I expected now that I have it in my hot little hands. Very impressed with how the full screen apps make use of limited real estate on my 15'' MBP. The animations are smooth between apps. The gesture for scrolling in Safari seems reversed from what I'm used to but actually more intuitive and easy to get used to. So much more, but these were a few things that struck me right off the bat.

I understand there's a system preference to change the scrolling back to the traditional way.
  • Reply 108 of 183
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Nope. They switch colors for those backgrounds.

They do, but it's not perfect. Take Safari, go to Ars Technica, set your window size such that you can't see the black edge on their page, or zoom in. Scroll.

Safari is colouring the scroll bar based on the page background colour, which may or may not be the actual background over which the scroll bar is overlaid. In this case the background is black, but the actual page area is white - the scrollbar is being rendered in white.
  • Reply 109 of 183
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    I downloaded the install in about 2 hours (at work) this morning and in my haste to try out Lion, I didn't make a copy of the installer to use on my 2 other macs before I installed it on my MBP. I did not know the installer was deleted after install. So for those of you out there with multiple macs...make a copy of the installer before installing.

So..does anyone know if there is a way to create a Lion boot disk from the newly created Recovery Partition? I really don't want to have to download this again from home as my connection speed is about 1/3 as slow as my work connection.
  • Reply 110 of 183
    Downloaded Lion this AM. No problems with the accessing or downloading the software. However, I'm not impressed ? features of full screen, Mail App, Safari, Reading List, is no big deal. The reason they only charged $30 is because you get what you pay for and that "ain't" much and you don't get much.

I may go back to Snow Leopard!http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/irked.gif
  • Reply 111 of 183
    shiishii Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Are you really in the Applications folder that much for this to matter at all?

Yeah, I hate mess.

And of course I use it. Its just faster then spotlight and its not good to have many icons in dock for low vnc resolutions.

Quote:

Well, yes, they are. Get Info on them to see that.

Could be, trough I'm reinstalling it back so cant check now.

Quote:

So... talk to Apple about it...

Thats not so easy everywhere in the world.
  • Reply 112 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Downloaded Lion this AM. No problems with the accessing or downloading the software. However, I'm not impressed — features of full screen, Mail App, Safari, Reading List, is no big deal. The reason they only charged $30 is because you get what you pay for and that "ain't" much and you don't get much.

I may go back to Snow Leopard!http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/irked.gif

While I understand what you mean and agree a little, it's under the hood stuff you can't see that makes Lion roar. In particular, the new 64-bit iTunes 1.4 is radically faster than 1.3.1 in Lion. And a lot more to come - esp iCloud which fully blown will only work from Lion.
  • Reply 113 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I understand there's a system preference to change the scrolling back to the traditional way.

To alter scrolling direction, go to System Preferences/Mouse and uncheck the top box as in this pic.
  • Reply 114 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsblair View Post

I downloaded the install in about 2 hours (at work) this morning and in my haste to try out Lion, I didn't make a copy of the installer to use on my 2 other macs before I installed it on my MBP. I did not know the installer was deleted after install. So for those of you out there with multiple macs...make a copy of the installer before installing.

So..does anyone know if there is a way to create a Lion boot disk from the newly created Recovery Partition? I really don't want to have to download this again from home as my connection speed is about 1/3 as slow as my work connection.

You don't need to backup the installer. Just make a DVD or Flash drive from the InstallESD.dmg disk image in the package contents folder with Disk Utility.

LINK TO DIRECTIONS HOW TO DO IT:

How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive.
  • Reply 115 of 183
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    !!!! WARNING !!!

Two Major problems with Lion and one annoyance:

1) Not compatible wth most NAS drives. Apple added a new APF but did not include backwards compatibility.... ( This is going to be a huge problem ) Apples position is talk your NAS manufacturer into updating their firmware...( Like that is going to happen )

2) Many Wireless printers are not going to work due to problem #1. My brand new HP Photosmart C310 WILL NOT WORK with Lion.

3) Why in the world did they reverse the two finger scroll up/down behavior?????
  • Reply 116 of 183
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    The biggest failure for me is the lack of AirPlay integration in the QuickTime Player and especially the QuickTime web plugin! After all the AirPlay hype, Apple has delivered very little Mac integration, IMHO. No AirPlay still in FaceTime either -- what about iChat audio/video chats? Come on Apple -- bake it in FULLY.

Also, where is all that promised additional AirPrint support, Apple?

• Reply 117 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Why in the world did they reverse the two finger scroll up/down behavior?????

Five question marks for something that that it only obvious but easy to reverse?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

The biggest failure for me is the lack of AirPlay integration in the QuickTime Player and especially the QuickTime web plugin! After all the AirPlay hype, Apple has delivered very little Mac integration, IMHO. No AirPlay still in FaceTime either -- what about iChat audio/video chats? Come on Apple -- bake it in FULLY.

Also, where is all that promised additional AirPrint support, Apple?

With the profit deferment they've enacted they add Airzplay and many other features as they wish.
  • Reply 118 of 183
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    ****************************** NOTE **************************

At appx 4:30 ET Wed - problems with 'Apple ID Authorization'

When trying to buy Lion via 'App Store' Application

Kept returning - "Your Apple ID has been disabled"

But ID works fine for Account Info/iTunes/Apple in General

Can even reset, re-password it, etc

Contacted Apple 'Help' on phone - they say (in effect)

"Are problems with Apple ID Verification in App Store due to huge load/volume, should be fixed in few hours, try again later, ok?"

Well, is not 'ok' but ... it is what it are

Find out in few hours ?

Anyone else run into this same 'situation' ?

• Reply 119 of 183
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    anyone else having issues where the directionality of scrolling on a mouse scroll-wheel seems to have reversed with Lion? I can't figure out how to flip it back.

Everything else seems fine (although I was really annoyed to find my 2004 Word doesn't work anymore -- ACS journals require it for submission).
  • Reply 120 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

anyone else having issues where the directionality of scrolling on a mouse scroll-wheel seems to have reversed with Lion? I can't figure out how to flip it back.

Yeah, it's reversed to follow the direction of your finger on the trackpad. Give it two days; you'll find this works better. If you're willing to give a go you can change it in System Preferences => Trackpad with a simple check box.