New MacBook Airs, Mac minis feature Lion Internet Recovery disc-less repair

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prw View Post

Not in my experience. Server was just an add-on app. The basic Lion DVD burned by Disk Utility hung waiting for the internet connect. There was nothing "serverish" on the DVD.

If you burn InstallESD.dmg to a DVD and do the basic install you don't need an internet connection. I've done this many times throughout the betas, including build 11A511.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Macs are a huge portion of their sales figures why on earth would anyone think Apple would lob off such a sizable percentage of their profits?

perhaps go back and check apples revenue per product, and profit per product.

If Apple finds that investing their r&d, marketing and other dollars in a different sector with larger profit potential, where do you think their priority lie?

Now where is that Macbook
  • Reply 23 of 63
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

OMG. How much are you charged for a few gigs DL'd? Please.

While it is getting slight better, NZ$100 for phone and 45GB data
  • Reply 24 of 63
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

Does this mean internet recovery isnt available for other macs than mini and air?

Yes, that's what it means. It's because this feature is implemented entirely in the firmware of the device, out of necessity given that it is used when a bootable disk cannot be found. As it is a new feature, it is not available in previously released Macs. (I suppose hypothetically if it could be made small enough it could be reverse-engineered into previous Macs' firmwares and released as an update by Apple for those Macs. But I'm not holding my breath. They want to sell new Macs not extend the life of already sold ones.)
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

perhaps go back and check apples revenue per product, and profit per product.

If Apple finds that investing their r&d, marketing and other dollars in a different sector with larger profit potential, where do you think their priority lie?

Now where is that Macbook

Am i misunderstanding Ai's article? Or did Apple have a kick ass Mac sales quarter?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...3_million.html

I should have added; the Macbook was made obsolete by both (or either) the iPad and the MBA. Why would anyone buy a Macbook at this point when for the same money (or less) you have two superior choices depending on your needs?
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

While it is getting slight better, NZ$100 for phone and 45GB data

45GB data cap huh? Ugh. I thought ISP's in the states were bad. Still a restore shouldn't take up more than 10 percent of that unless you'd have to DL the apps too. Hopefully you aren't punitively charged for overages. It's kind strange feature anyway; obviously designed for users who don't know how to back up their data.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if the same people that complain has dumbed down their systems are the same people acting too dumb to create their own bootable installer.

The funniest, most insightful. concise comment in the history of rebutting people who complain about change and progress. Bravo.

• Reply 28 of 63
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Will people give the "walled garden" thing a rest? It makes no sense here... it barely even described AOL that it was named after because even then you could minimize AOL and launch another browser and do whatever you want on the WWW.

Being able to get another copy of an OS if you screw up is LESS restrictive then before (or now with Windows) because before you'd have to buy another disc if you lost or broke/scratched yours.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Create one on a thumb drive for yourself...

There's a difference to what you CAN do or what Apple provides as a standard. I don't like this at all. Call me traditional, but I want my OS on an USB sticky or DVD provided by Apple.

Having an Internet connection is not something you can always rely on.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

There's a difference to what you CAN do or what Apple provides as a standard. I don't like this at all. Call me traditional, but I want my OS on an USB sticky or DVD provided by Apple.

Having an Internet connection is not something you can always rely on.

It sounds like this is an additional feature, rather than a replacement feature.

Ie, if you have made a bootable drive, you can use it, if you don't have one around, you can try the internet route as a last ditch.

So long as that is the case in practice, then it's a good development of what I would call a "real" OS feature.

If I were to pick a gripe of my own, it's that these instructions will probably be hidden in support documents rather than up front and central where users ( that don't spend their days hanging around Apple forums ) can appreciate them.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    If that would be the case, that be great!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

It sounds like this is an additional feature, rather than a replacement feature.

• Reply 32 of 63
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Create one on a thumb drive for yourself...

I'll be doing that asap.

Thank the Lord I'm someone with nothing better to do with my time than hang around Apple forums.

I'm really looking forward to resizing windows from any corner.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    WHAT?!?!? No Floppy drive? OH THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! It's the nail in the coffin! Next thing you know, they'll be dropping ADB ports and SCSI, forcing us to replace everything we own with USB.

Somewhere, in a darkened basement, someone is still running OS7 and stupidly grinning. If the apocalypse comes, he'll probably be safe in that pseudo bomb-shelter, but in the meantime, tech marches on without him. And no one cares.

Sure, I wish Lion came on a flash drive, but geez, I can always load it onto a 4 gig flash card I have lying around. Problem solved.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Who else thinks this is scary?

I'm glad I've ripped all my CDs to iTunes as they're about 80% of my library.

I'm not so sure I'd want an iMac or MBP without an optical drive.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will Lion Recovery and Internet Recovery include the Apple Hardware Test?

Will Lion Recovery and Internet Recovery let you reinstall iLife and the other applications that are included with the Mac but not part of Mac OS?

If you upgrade an older Mac to Lion using the App Store, does it create a Recovery partition?

If you download Lion from Mac App Store and create a bootable disk, does it let you do an Erase and Install? Does it create a Recovery partition?

If a Mac supports Internet Recovery, will it let you reinstall the OS that originally came with that Mac if you do not have an Apple ID?

According to the article for installing Lion on an external disk: "Using this Lion system with a different kind of Mac may produce unpredictable results." Does this mean it is no longer possible to create universal boot disks that can be used to boot any Mac? What about companies that set up Macs using disk images? Instead of a single universal Mac image, they now have to maintain several different images like IT departments currently do with PCs?
  • Reply 36 of 63
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:

ME!!
  • Reply 37 of 63
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

OMG. How much are you charged for a few gigs DL'd? Please.

my base data fee is womwhere around 40$ for 5gigs, only goes up from there. some providers still charge by the megabyte.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    How large is the recovery partition?

It should be a simple matter of cloning this to a USB stick to making an external one.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

I can totally feel the vibe you have here. Obviously Apple is starting to eliminate the avenue (by default) of physical software media from Macs (new Mac Mini).

Apple is running to make the Mac a walled garden (like other iThings), but doing it via convenience (so far, instead of by no choice as with iOS) moving the customers to where we only get software through their store and anybody that doesn't go through their store will be at a decided disadvantage long term. Will they take it to the next step and make it like iThings and only their walled garden in the next OS release or two? I don't know.

All those people coming to Mac's from iThings will think its great (works just like their phone, pad or iPod).

This is a bit disheartening from the perspective of many long time Mac and Apple users, as it feels very big brotherish (alot of older users ran to Apple to get away from that feeling from Microsoft) - everything is based on you being plugged into and buying from Apple's cozy network.

On the other hand I can see how convenient it will be and how Apple now regards the Mac as just a supporting character for selling customers more iThings (this is more confirmation of the fact that they see the Mac that way - and I'm not saying that in a mean way, I'm running a Mac and love it).

Apple will always throw away what they regard as the past and run to where they think they want to go - based on that I wouldn't want to bet whether they'll still be making Mac's in 10 years (most companies you could bet on it, but I don't think you can with Apple).

Like [✓]

Totally agree with everything you say. But I also think that in 5 years we'll all be telling the Wintel folk that we've been downloading our OS from the internet for ages when Microsoft finally give up optical media and switch to internet delivery. Your argument about Apple's walled garden App Store policies still stand, of course.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:

I sure do!