Apple makes Xcode free to all with release of 4.1 on Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday updated Xcode to version 4.1, and reduced its price to free for anyone who has an Apple ID and access to the Mac App Store.

That's down from the previous price of $4.99 that Apple began charging the general public in March, when Xcode 4 was first released. That software was also made free to Apple's registered developers.

Xcode 4.1 (iTunes link) on the Mac App Store will allow non-registered developers to tinker with Apple's development platform, or even create their own Mac applications outside of the Mac App Store. However, to submit a Mac or iOS application to the App Store still requires a membership to the Mac or iOS Developer Program. Testing iOS applications on a mobile device also requires a developer subscription.

The new version, released on Wednesday, is a 2.96GB download. It requires Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Xcode 4.1 includes the Xcode IDE, Instruments, iOS Simulator, the latest Mac OS X and iOS SDKs. Features of the latest version, according to Apple, include:

Includes SDKs for OS X Lion and iOS 4.3

Interface Builder support for Auto Layout and new Aqua controls such as NSPopover

Full screen support in workspace, project, and organizer windows

Project modernization to identify and resolve out of date build settings

Behaviors can be customized and assigned to unique key bindings

Source control enhancements to pushing, pulling, and management of remote servers

Assistant editor support for display of generated assembly and preprocessed output

Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

The Mac Developer Program was discounted in 2010 to $99 per year. The price change remodeled Apple's Mac program after the wildly successful iPhone Developer Program.

"Xcode provides everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, and iPad," the official Mac App Store description reads. "Xcode 4 has been streamlined to help you write better apps.

"It has unified user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging all within a single window. The Xcode IDE analyzes the details of your project to identify mistakes in both syntax and logic, it can even help fix your code for you."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Not much of a change but a welcome one at that.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    t2aft2af Posts: 44member
    Does this mean I can put iOS5 beta on my phone now ?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t2af View Post

no it doesn't
  • Reply 5 of 52
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    Good thing I talked myself out of buying it yesterday.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t2af View Post

Not unless you pay the $99 and become a developer.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Good! This upset a lot of developers and power users, charging $4.99 for what was a free package. None of us could figure out why.

There was libraries / apps embedded in this install needed for unix libraries that are completely open source. Glad they fixed this!

Things like this are why people think developers are all a bunch of whiny egotistical babies.

1) It was always free with your developer account.

2) 4.99 for the Mac equivalent of Visual Studio (normally hundreds of bucks) is a steal.

Developers are the only group of folks I know that would look at a product that was reduced from hundreds of bucks to five bucks and turn up their noses at it based on some selfish, misguided, uber-logical, technicality that no one normal gives a rat's ass about.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Things like this are why people think developers are all a bunch of whiny egotistical babies.

2) 4.99 for the Mac equivalent of Visual Studio (normally hundreds of bucks) is a steal.

Developers are the only group of folks I know that would look at a product that was reduced from hundreds of bucks to five bucks and turn up their noses at it based on some selfish, misguided, uber-logical, technicality that no one normal gives a rat's ass about.

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/or power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/pr power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.

According to the commenters on 9to5Mac, you shouldn't make assumptions about people being developers based on them not knowing things developers would absolutely know or doing things developers wouldn't have done.

So here's a warning that you shouldn't make assumptions:

"Don't make assumptions."

• Reply 10 of 52
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    So, can I get my $4.99 back?
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You could always sign up for the free developer accounts and get XCode for free. They just opened it up for anyone with an Apple ID.

Not much of a change but a welcome one at that.

Xcode 4 was not available to those with a 'free' developer account. You either got it via the 99$ developer account, or if you didn't want to spend that much, bought it off the app store for 5$.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Right?! It's also hard to believe that emig647 is a developer and/or power user yet couldn't figure out why Xcode 4.1 costs money under SL but is free under Lion.

Wow . It's comments like that is why I stopped coming around here. Go assume more newb.

First of all, when i was referring to Xcode costing money, I was referring to 4.0x costing 4.99 in the app store. So tell me know it all, why was 4.0x charged 4.99 for SL. 4.0x was designed for SL. Not to mention I didn't pay for it because I'm an iOS developer for a fortune 500 company.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There have always been the free developer accounts. You could not submit things to either App Store, but you got all of the tools.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously Xcode 4 was and is a horrible mess of performance issues, bugs and strange behaviors. In that regard it wasn't worth $5.

However if Apple would take that $5 bucks or so and throw it into development of LLVM & CLANG I wouldn't mind the cost one bit.

Quote:

Good question.

Note in a sense Xcode has never really been free, to keep up to speed you need to be involved in a developer program.

Quote:

I'm not sure I'd call this a fix. I'm literally downloading Xcode 4.1 right now, we will see if it is worth anything.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Wow . It's comments like that is why I stopped coming around here. Go assume more newb.

First of all, when i was referring to Xcode costing money, I was referring to 4.0x costing 4.99 in the app store. So tell me know it all, why was 4.0x charged 4.99 for SL. 4.0x was designed for SL. Not to mention I didn't pay for it because I'm an iOS developer for a fortune 500 company.

There is a gap in your logic where there should be a GAAP.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

There have always been the free developer accounts. You could not submit things to either App Store, but you got all of the tools.

You are wrong. As of Xcode 4.00 they started charging $4.99 unless you were a PAID iOS or Mac developer. The free accounts couldn't download 4.00 any more. They could download 3.xx if you could find the url though.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

http://www.astrobetter.com/mac-app-store-xcode4/

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/apple...-for-everyone/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/09/...tore-for-4-99/
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Note in a sense Xcode has never really been free, to keep up to speed you need to be involved in a developer program.

Before 4.0 you could just be a FREE developer account which was offered to anyone and download Xcode. Once 4.0 came out you had to be a paid developer or pay the $4.99. So yah, Xcode 3.00 was free as was all the versions before it including project builder.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Xcode 4 was not available to those with a 'free' developer account. You either got it via the 99$ developer account, or if you didn't want to spend that much, bought it off the app store for 5$.

I know lots of people that got XCode for free under the free dev account. You only had to pay if you wanted to actually post an app to the stores or load an app on a phone.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

I know lots of people that got XCode for free under the free dev account. You only had to pay if you wanted to actually post an app to the stores or load an app on a phone.

They didn't get 4.0, they got 3.0 if it was through their free apple developer account.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

there is a gap in your logic where there should be a gaap.

qed....