Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Comments

• Reply 121 of 183
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

you don't need to backup the installer. Just make a DVD or Flash drive from the InstallESD.dmg disk image in the package contents folder with Disk Utility. How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive.

Are you saying I can create a bootable drive using the files in the recovery disk? That's what I'm hoping, but I haven't found anywhere on the net to confirm this. I will play around with it tonight as I only brought my MBP to work to utilize our bandwith...so I haven't had a chance to explore LION.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

!!!! WARNING !!!

Two Major problems with Lion and one annoyance:

2) Many Wireless printers are not going to work due to problem #1. My brand new HP Photosmart C310 WILL NOT WORK with Lion.

Well, if it won't work with my C310 that I bought specifically to use via Airprint, it looks like I'll be waiting to install LION on my imac and my wife's MBP!
  • Reply 122 of 183
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Thanks -- if I could rely on all my machines following that pattern, I'd switch. The thing is, I still use some older machines too (and I need to keep 2004 word functionality, stupid American Chemical Society!)
  • Reply 123 of 183
    Quote:

Thanks. Anand gives the best reviews.
  • Reply 124 of 183
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

****************************** NOTE **************************

At appx 4:30 ET Wed - problems with 'Apple ID Authorization'

When trying to buy Lion via 'App Store' Application

Kept returning - "Your Apple ID has been disabled"

But ID works fine for Account Info/iTunes/Apple in General

Can even reset, re-password it, etc

Contacted Apple 'Help' on phone - they say (in effect)

"Are problems with Apple ID Verification in App Store due to huge load/volume, should be fixed in few hours, try again later, ok?"

Well, is not 'ok' but ... it is what it are

Find out in few hours ?

Anyone else run into this same 'situation' ?

well, I purchased an iMac less than two weeks ago, but Apple's servers don't recognize my serial number as being valid.

Applecare said to try again tomorrow. I'm thinking it may be a sly/annoying way of distributing download demand.
  • Reply 125 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post

replace 'dub' with a 'w'.

I don't care what to do, I care why you did it. Why would you waste everyone's time with doing that when you can not only TYPE a real URL but POST a perfectly good hyperlink on this forum?

Seriously.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Thanks -- if I could rely on all my machines following that pattern, I'd switch. The thing is, I still use some older machines too (and I need to keep 2004 word functionality, stupid American Chemical Society!)

Aren't more modern versions of Office (and, heck, I'm sure Pages does it) capable of saving files that are compatible with that?
  • Reply 126 of 183
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, yes, they are. Get Info on them to see that.

What exactly is one looking for in the Get Info window? I have an application that I suspect is powerpc, but I don't see anything special in the info to confirm/deny this.
  • Reply 127 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I understand there's a system preference to change the scrolling back to the traditional way.

Yup. It's the very first thing I went for as soon as I started using Lion. I can see the argument of reversing the scrolling direction, especially if touch-screen Macs are around the corner, but habits are hard to change.
  • Reply 128 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post

replace 'dub' with a 'w'.

ya, why not just post the URL...but still...kinda funny.
  • Reply 129 of 183
    I've been downloading for 2 hours and it's done 1GB. This is slightly faster than dial-up speeds on a 10Mbit ADSL connection. If Apple are going to distribute their software as download-only they need to invest in a lot more bandwidth \
  • Reply 130 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

What exactly is one looking for in the Get Info window? I have an application that I suspect is powerpc, but I don't see anything special in the info to confirm/deny this.

Highlight ANYTHING and do Open Apple+I.

Or just right-click anything and choose "Get Info".
  • Reply 131 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123brummer View Post

If anyone's had Logic 9 Pro running (especially interested on an iMac 27" Core2duo 3.06ghz) I'd love to know if it runs properly as this is the biggest hold back for me.

Full screen mode has a few bugs but in general it works.
  • Reply 132 of 183
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Control+Option+Command+click. Simple.

Why?

What bothers me the most is that fricking Launchpad never updates to the actual application icon. I've changed most of Apple's to BETTER icons, and they won't change.

They'll change if you remove the application from the Applications folder, sure, but absolutely none of these are allowed to be moved. Which is abject nonsense.

I'll stick with Overflow, which is what Apple is trying to copy here anyway. It may be a bit slower, but it looks nicer, it's easy to configure, and it won't add apps you don't want to be there.
  • Reply 133 of 183
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I tought I would add an update....

1) I fixed the HP Photosmart Premium C310 printer problem. I had to remove all of the software and drivers from the machine and re-install. That seem to clear up the "cannot connect to printer" problem....

I managed to connect to my WD Worldbook II NAS by deleting all key chains and doing a

Connect to Server in finder and and entering SMB://"NETWORK NAME OF YOUR NAS"...

Thanks God this thing supports the SMB protocol....
  • Reply 134 of 183
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

In the Get Info window, it should say "Kind: Application (Intel)" or "Kind: Application (Universal)' or "Kind: Application (PowerPC)" - the first two will work under Lion, the PowerPC apps won't.

Instead of looking at one app at a time, you could click "About This Mac" under the Apple menu, and then click on "More Info..." to go to System Profiler. In the left column click "Applications", and you'll get a list. You can sort that list by "Kind" to see which of your apps are PowerPC (won't work in Lion).
  • Reply 135 of 183
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I want to update to Lion but I fear having my hard drive wiped or having programs I use for work becoming incompatible, such as Office 2011. Any reported compatibility or installation issues to report? I am on a Macbook unibody 13"
  • Reply 136 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I want to update to Lion but I fear having my hard drive wiped or having programs I use for work becoming incompatible, such as Office 2011. Any reported compatibility or installation issues to report? I am on a Macbook unibody 13"

Anything PowerPC only won't work. Everything else will work fine.

Unless you're doing heavier graphical mods, of course.
  • Reply 137 of 183
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmi3 View Post

Is there a relationship between Launch Pad and the same apps in the Dock.

They exist (well, appear) in both places.

Quote:

Also, where do we access the Hard Drive (in OS X it was a convenient place to check version numbers of apps and utilities and also to store/delete third party apps)?

Go to Find Preferences -> Sidebar

Click to de/select what you want to show/hide in the Finder's sidebar. I don't want the hard drive in my dock, but you should be able to drag it there from the Finder after you've tweaked preferences.
  • Reply 138 of 183
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

In the Get Info window, it should say "Kind: Application (Intel)" or "Kind: Application (Universal)' or "Kind: Application (PowerPC)" - the first two will work under Lion, the PowerPC apps won't.

Instead of looking at one app at a time, you could click "About This Mac" under the Apple menu, and then click on "More Info..." to go to System Profiler. In the left column click "Applications", and you'll get a list. You can sort that list by "Kind" to see which of your apps are PowerPC (won't work in Lion).

I see, thanks. Although, in the Get Info window all I see is "application" without further qualification. The "About This Mac" menu is showing me what I want to see.
  • Reply 139 of 183
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Download and install went well. Less than 45 minutes to download and install (50mb internet + SSD). Features are fairly nice. Interface is extremely bland though.
  • Reply 140 of 183
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

!!!! WARNING !!!

Two Major problems with Lion and one annoyance:

1) Not compatible wth most NAS drives. Apple added a new APF but did not include backwards compatibility.... ( This is going to be a huge problem ) Apples position is talk your NAS manufacturer into updating their firmware...( Like that is going to happen )

2) Many Wireless printers are not going to work due to problem #1. My brand new HP Photosmart C310 WILL NOT WORK with Lion.

Wireless Epson NX420 works perfectly. Talk to HP (I recently dumped HP for Epson, for a number of reasons).

Quote:

3) Why in the world did they reverse the two finger scroll up/down behavior?????

A lot of people came to gestural UIs from iPhone/iPad, and they're familiar with that usage. And probably have complained about the different usage between iOS and Mac behavior.

You can change it in System Preferences to fit your own preferred behavior