All Future City Concepts Have One Common Theme = Very Few People

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Have you noticed that nearly all Future City Concept drawings have one common theme (besides more rounded edges) is the fact there are very few people residing in them. Of course this has a lot to do with the aesthetic reasons of the concept art, but I always thought it was a funny truth regardless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Have you noticed that nearly all Future City Concept drawings have one common theme (besides more rounded edges) is the fact there are very few people residing in them. Of course this has a lot to do with the aesthetic reasons of the concept art, but I always thought it was a funny truth regardless.

That's a good point, actually. Though some suggest the scale of such future cities are so huge we assume the people are "all there inside somehow".

But the truth of the matter is that no future city concept that's attractive or garnered huge critical acclaim has targeted what future cities will be... something that has to hold 20-30 million people ON AVERAGE.

What we're seeing of Chinese cities are only the beginning.

Honestly the standard of livability in China is... I don't know what to make of it. Here's a big algae bloom recently at a beach and they're swimming in it:

Someone I knew said something quite rememberable to me about almost ten years ago.

"You can't go after utopia because it's different for everyone"
  • Reply 2 of 2