Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Comments

• Reply 161 of 183
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

No. Are you saying that after you did the install with the 4GB Lion installer that you didn't back up, it was fully deleted? You'd think there would have been some warning before Apple did that to your new software property wouldn't you? Surprise surprise.

I GAVE YOU THE LINK TO DIRECTIONS HOW TO DO IT from what you downloaded:

How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive.

Sorry if you have to download it again. But really, numerous How To articles about how to make an install DVD or Flash Drive have been published on the Internet for the past 3 weeks or more.

Oh yeah, I understand how to do it, and I read several of the sites about it beforehand. I don't however remember reading anything about it deleting the install file. I have only been using the Mac for 8 months and I would have thought that I would have had a freaking prompt about deleting the file. I know I am not the only one that this will happen too. I have started the download AGAIN but it will take 12 hours at home. This is just a minor PITA, but you would think there would be a message from the system.

I wish there was some way so that households with multiple macs would only have to download the software once from the app store - almost like an app repository on a designated Mac.
  • Reply 162 of 183
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsblair View Post

This is just a minor PITA, but you would think there would be a message from the system.

Yeah, I'm glad I read a warning that if you install with the installer in the default application folder it deletes itself! I quit it on auto-launch and made a backup copy. I can understand that they are probably targeting users with one Mac and automatically preserving peoples disk space, but I agree it would still be nice if they asked first.

Quote:

I wish there was some way so that households with multiple macs would only have to download the software once from the app store - almost like an app repository on a designated Mac.

Pop $50 for the server option:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4771

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...71009082248452
  • Reply 163 of 183
    Wow still no trim support for 3rd party SSD. I have a Kingston V+ 256GB SSD and it shows no trim.
  • Reply 164 of 183
    bsblairbsblair Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yeah, I'm glad I read a warning that if you install with the installer in the default application folder it deletes itself! I quit it on auto-launch and made a backup copy. I can understand that they are probably targeting users with one Mac and automatically preserving peoples disk space, but I agree it would still be nice if they asked first.

Pop $50 for the server option:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4771

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...71009082248452

Thanks for the links. Getting a Mac mini with OS x server is on my list of things to buy. It will replace my old HP windows home server now that I am going to the Mac in my household.
  • Reply 165 of 183
    VPN seems not to work on Lion, at least not with Cisco AnyConnect, which is used to establish a VPN connection.

Does anyone know if CISCO will make AnyConnect work with Lion or if there is a substitute?
  • Reply 166 of 183
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It's not quite there still. Its close, but not quite there. It's almost as if apple wanted to do something really radical, and then they kind of held back for some reason. The UI elements are a lot more cartoony a la early OSX (circa 10.1 - 10.4) wheras I liked the 10.5-10.6 more solid feel of the UI.

Getting rid of color in navigation is a bit confusing, though I guess that is their trend with itunes as well. However in iOS color is not gone, and most menu options are colorful, so why not keep color in the finder.

Also. why does sneak peak only work with two finger gesture, but is broken if I switch to three fingers? I still don't get it.

Why are the scroll bars not app independent. In non-apple apps I still have the scroll bars taking up real estate.

Final gripe - why does preview in full screen automatically show me two pages. I don't want two pages, I want to read page by page, scrolling like in the normal version. Why can't I have a choice there.

I do like Webkit 2 engine though, its really fast, though chrome still has it beat in the HTML5 compliance department.

That's all I've got after a days worth of use.
  • Reply 167 of 183
    dp101dp101 Posts: 9member
    Having issue with auto save... Documents will not save at all! Apparently, if the volume doesn't support versions/auto saving then there is no way to edit and save the document without duplicating it. How do you get the old Save functionality back? I can deal without versioning and autosaving... I just need Saving!

btw - NFS does not seem to be a supported volume type...
  • Reply 168 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irasiegel View Post

I have some old MS Word documents that MS Word 2011 will not open, but MS Word 2004 will. MS Word 2011's failure in that regard is very troubling.

Actually, MS Word 2011 will open them, but only with MS Word's "Find" feature.
  • Reply 169 of 183
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

But download is slow ... well, it is a big file, though. Come on, you have an entire data centre to push this one!

I postulated that this would be an amazing test of their App Store in yesterday's article. Ten attempts later and I still cannot download Lion. I knew they weren't ready for it.
  • Reply 170 of 183
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Biggest problem for me is that Spaces is gone in Lion and You Control: Desktops does not work (it worked fine in SL).

I'm hoping that someone comes through with a replacement for these.
  • Reply 171 of 183
    shiishii Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Hmm - I definitely am not seeing that!

Who knows, maybe I'm just "unlucky".

Quote:

Not seeing that either...

Just try that, both macs I updated were doing the same.

Quote:

How long have you had them? Migrated them from a Power PC Mac? Screw up using a program like ONYX and deleted the Intel instead of PPC side of a universal app? Sounds like they only had the PPC code in them. Apple did you a favor - re-install them and I'll bet they speed up significantly!

No idea, like 1 year? I dont care so much about them to investigate

Quote:

Actually you can turn them back on in the General systems preference pane. I already did. Annoying, but not fatal and easily reverted. Don't miss the arrows - can't tell you the last time I clicked on a scroll bar or scroll arrow, but I do like the visual indicator of where I am.

Thanks, will try next time I update to lion.

Quote:

File a claim with iTunes support - if they are refunding people for Final Cut X, you should get a bogus double charge reversed easily. Just be sure to ask them to reverse it and not just complain on the Internet

Its not complain, its called "sharing experience"

For desktop OS its no big deal anyway, once boot speed is fixed of course.

For server OS, good times are over.
  • Reply 172 of 183
    Very impressed with Lion so far, and as a nice surprise my yahoo email has just configured itself with IMAP in Mail, I couldn't do that before. (to my knowledge)
  • Reply 173 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's highly anticipated next-generation operating system, is now available to purchase on the Mac App Store for $29.99, weighing in at 3.49GB.

Lion boasts more than 250 new features, including new Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control to view everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store; Launchpad, an iPad-like home screen for apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app.

"Lion is the best version of OS X yet, and we?re thrilled that users around the world can download it starting today," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Lion makes upgrading a Mac easier than ever before; just launch the Mac App Store, buy Lion with your iTunes account, and the download and install process will begin automatically."

Additional new features in Lion highlighted by Apple include:

Resume: brings apps back exactly how they were left when restarting a Mac or quitting and relaunching an app

Auto Save: automatically and continuously saves documents as you work

Versions: automatically records the history of a document as it is created, and gives an easy way to browse, revert and even copy and paste from previous versions;

AirDrop: finds nearby Macs and automatically sets up a peer-to-peer wireless connection to make transferring files quick and easy.

Pricing & Availability

Mac OS X Lion is available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard from the Mac App Store for $29.99 (US). Apple said Lion is the easiest OS X upgrade and at around 4GB, it is about the size of an HD movie from the iTunes Store.

Lion requires an Intel-based Mac with a Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 or Xeon processor and 2GB of RAM. Lion is an upgrade and can be installed on all your authorized personal Macs. Details regarding Business and Education licensing can be found at apple.com/macosx.

The OS X Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available through the Mac App Store at no additional charge to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchased a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and July 20, 2011 will have until August 19, 2011 to make a request. Additional information can be found at apple.com/macosx/uptodate.

LOL WHAT?????? OMG, APPLE IS REFUSING ME TO BUY LION AND CONFUSES 10.6.8 FOR LION.... WTF???? Y THE HECK DOES IT SAY "INSTALLED" ON MY SYSTEM?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0721atpm0.jpg/
  • Reply 174 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaurjyh View Post

LOL WHAT?????? OMG, APPLE IS REFUSING ME TO BUY LION AND CONFUSES 10.6.8 FOR LION.... WTF???? Y THE HECK DOES IT SAY "INSTALLED" ON MY SYSTEM?

So talk to Apple about it. I'm making the assumption that you actually did that most recent software update for 10.6.8 so that the App Store actually sees it properly, of course.
  • Reply 175 of 183
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

Very impressed with Lion so far, and as a nice surprise my yahoo email has just configured itself with IMAP in Mail, I couldn't do that before. (to my knowledge)

You could, but yahoo's help site is out of date/woefully inadequate, so the process was far from intuitive.

On the other hand, I have been having issues with my yahoo hosted e-mail since the upgrade, but I do suspect that the problem is with yahoo and not Lion.
  • Reply 176 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I postulated that this would be an amazing test of their App Store in yesterday's article. Ten attempts later and I still cannot download Lion. I knew they weren't ready for it.

That's too bad. Started Wednesday night and all worked fine on a MBP and iMac. I was also able to make a boot drive.

Perhaps it's not the App Store.
  • Reply 177 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

"Apple® today announced that in just one day, over one million users bought and downloaded Mac OS® X Lion."

Over a million 4 GB downloads. Impressive. Perhaps you were 1,000,001 in line.
  • Reply 178 of 183
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    2008 imac 20" 2.4 c2d 1gb ram

i can get a 1gb or 2gb stick do you have to have even number upgrades

or get two sticks total 4gb

will 3gb work ok

i have two imacs to upgrade, looking to save some money

thanks
  • Reply 179 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

2008 imac 20" 2.4 c2d 1gb ram

i can get a 1gb or 2gb stick do you have to have even number upgrades

Nope. There's a small speed boost if the sticks of RAM you have installed are of the same size, but that speed boost is eclipsed by having more RAM in a different setup.

Quote:

or get two sticks total 4gb

Since you only have 1GB of RAM now, you'll have two 512MB sticks in there now. You can certainly get two 2GB sticks to have 4GB total, yes.

Quote:

will 3gb work ok

The coolest thing? You can actually have 6GB of RAM in your model, not just 4GB.

That would mean that you would buy one 2GB stick and one 4GB stick.

3GB would work fine, however.

Quote:

i have two imacs to upgrade, looking to save some money

What are the specs of the other one? Or are they identical? If identical, well, you know what they can hold. If different, go ahead and post them here and we'll see how much RAM you can have.
  • Reply 180 of 183
    I purchased Lion OSX from Apps Store. Left it to download overnight, then when I tried to install the following morning, got this message :

The software could not be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.

Apps store says the software is INSTALLED - which it clearly isn't.

Can anyone help?